Downgrade 4" Sync to 3.3?

I updated to Sync 3.4 on my 4.2" Sync with My Ford. It seems to be a little buggy. Whenever I start the car, it defaults to the radio screen (but the radio is not on), when engine is powered off and before the door is opened it will switch between day and night mode randomly, when turning off the radio it will flash the screen with the previous one several times before settling in the clock screen. 

Wonder if anyone has the old update file for 3.3 that I can try to downgrade to? Remember, this is not for the 8" Sync 3. 

I've done the reset, etc etc and was wondering if someone had the file so I can try downgrading before having to take off work to go to the dealership. 

Update : Even though the update for my Sync was an official one from Ford, the dealer said that I need a new APIM. I've heard of this happening over the years. You'd think that Ford would be able to fix this without having to replace the APIM.

I sure miss my Edge, and will be without it for a few days. At least I get to play with the Sync3 3.4 in the 2020 Escape loaner I have. I'm surprised at how peppy that 1.5L Inline 3 is.

CyanLabs can help you downgrade if that's what you want.  Depending on the version of upgrade you received you could theoretically upgrade beyond the version that you were provided, which may also provide you with a solution as several things were fixed in the most recent available version (3.4.20196 is the newest one, 3.4.20136 is the one being sent out by Ford last I checked.)

3 hours ago, Firestar said:

CyanLabs can help you downgrade if that's what you want.  

The thing is that they work specifically with the 8" Sync3. I'm using the 4" Sync with MyFord (non touch). I did send them a message to see if they can provide the download link for the 3.3 (4"). 

It's dumb that both the 8" and 4" Sync get the exact same file version named Sync3 Version 3.4.20136. I tried using Cyan's version and that produced interesting results. See it here: http://imgur.com/a/5euph9Y

Edited by IcyFridge

16 hours ago, IcyFridge said:

The thing is that they work specifically with the 8" Sync3. I'm using the 4" Sync with MyFord (non touch). I did send them a message to see if they can provide the download link for the 3.3 (4"). 

It's dumb that both the 8" and 4" Sync get the exact same file version named Sync3 Version 3.4.20136. I tried using Cyan's version and that produced interesting results. See it here: http://imgur.com/a/5euph9Y

I don't think its dumb.  Ford provides the authorized files specific for your vehicle from their own website by VIN.  Pulling files from any other site is not authorized by Ford for use in your vehicle and using them is entirely at your own risk and if you render your system useless Ford would have no obligation to correct it warranty.  The file names thenselves are different between the 4" and 8".   A software version and build date doesn't determine the file name.  With some research you can determine what files were likely in your vehicle for version 3.3, then find them and install them.

Unauthorized changes can cause issues for dealers and potential future owners.  I just dealt with a person that needed a replacement APIM for their 17 F150 that was purchased used.  While the APIM was bad (failed BT, lagging nav etc.), programming the replacement resulted in an odd display and it would not function properly.  Ends up the previous owner enabled the GT display which isn't supported in version 3.0 19205.  The programming data had been "updated" on the Ford build server and was pulling non-supported settings into the APIM via the official programming process. Ford is aware people are doing stuff like this and will not cover these issues under warranty.  I was able to correct this but most dealers wouldn't have the knowledge to do this and have to contact Ford who then has to have someone manually go into the vehicle build file and correct the modified programming.

Yeah. I only tried the Cyanlab version because the official update from Ford "broke" my Sync. Even after a new APIM, it still does the same thing.

And I've tried to look everywhere online for the 3.3 file, but can't seem to locate it at all as it was included OEM for the 2019 Edge. I can find files for the older version of the 4" sync, but I don't want to risk running that on mine. I have a feeling the hardware is different, which is why there are different file versions (EG: Older 4.6 vs Newer 3.4.20136). The only place I know that has 3.3 is Cyanlabs, but as you saw in my picture, that doesn't work as it's made for the 8" screen. As of right now, I'm just gonna have to deal with it and wait until an opportune time to have the dealer run their "diagnostics" on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update : APIM replaced and audio module reset and still having problems. The dealer finally got ahold of a Ford Engineer, and I'll be dropping this off again for the 3rd time tomorrow for "testing". 

If they rolled back to 3.3 it would be fine, but apparently "they don't have a way to do so". 

5 hours ago, jmr061 said:

If you still end up needing it rolled back to 3.3, I have the files and can do a custom installation package.

Care to explain? I have the 4" screen, not the 8". How'd you get ahold of the 3.3 file for the 4" and "custom installation"?

Right now my Edge is still with the dealer. If they can't fix it or want to charge me for some reason, I'll reach out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 10:33 PM, jmr061 said:

Still don't have it back?  Did Ford send someone to look at it yet?

Still don't have it back. Ford Engineer came to see my car in person and has looped in the software engineers. They've already replaced the APIM 3 times including one from HQ directly. 

I'm starting to get irked. 

3 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

I hope they have given you a loaner that is nicer than your Edge.  I don't blame you for being upset.  I'd be curious to look up the OASIS SYNC history, sent me your VIN in a PM if you don't mind.

The first loaner was a 2020 Escape SE which ran smooth and quick with the 1.5L, second loaner was a fully loaded Edge SEL (I drive a SE) and that was awesome with leather seats and panoramic roof, and the recent loaner is another Escape SE but this one has bad engine vibration at idle.

I'm now back in my Edge until the Sync engineers figure something out.

1 minute ago, IcyFridge said:

What do you mean?

I don't know if you purchased your edge new or not, but you may be eligible for a buy back from ford due to them having your vehicle for an extended amount of time. Not sure if the lemon law applies to used vehicles.  Look into the lemon law in your state.