Coolant flush concerns on 2016 3.5

Chipster

I am having the orange coolant changed out of my 2016 3.5. I wanted to get the orange stuff out and replaced with 10X Peak. My original plan was to get a "flush" as part of the plan, but after looking at the heater lines where I assume the flush T fitting would have to go I am spooked. While I can only see an obstructed view, I am concerned about the possibility of a fitting failure later in time and not being able to get to it without a lift. With this in mind and since this vehicle has low miles (< 16 K) I now am thinking about a drain and replace. What do you all think about my concerns? Comments?

Coolant change (884x1280).jpg

1 hour ago, todd92 said:

Why are you gung ho to replace the 100,000 mile OEM coolant at 16,000 miles?

Ford has basically told all owners of vehicles with the orange coolant to change it. Also regardless of mileage, a change should be done every five years. See the attached service advisory above and this: 

Edited by Chipster

16 hours ago, Chipster said:

Ford has basically told all owners of vehicles with the orange coolant to change it. Also regardless of mileage, a change should be done every five years. See the attached service advisory above and this: 

I haven't seen such a notice - do you have a link to it?

I have enough Yellow coolant on hand to change my 2017 Sport which is at 65K miles, but wasn't planning on doing it just yet, but seeing an official notice I'll do it right away.

Edited by 1004ron

In the 2016 Owners manual, the initial coolant change is clearly stated as "Initial replacement at six years or 100000 mi (160,000 km), then every three years or 50000 mi (80,000 km)." I am sure there is no harm in changing it early.

Also, proof that changing out the orange coolant is not required immediately is the fact that the yellow coolant can be used to rip-off the orange coolant and that no flush is required when draining the orange & filling with yellow.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, todd92 said:

Is there any evidence that depleted coolant corrosion inhibitors are the cause of the internal water pump failures?

Those that have experienced these failures might know better than me, but my wild guess would be the lubricant properties breakdown and cause the mechanical seal to fail, or particulate buildup over time.

3 hours ago, todd92 said:

Is there any evidence that depleted coolant corrosion inhibitors are the cause of the internal water pump failures?

I believe there is. Being internal in the engine it is being placed at risk of by two different fluids, oil and coolant. It is my belief that using a full synthetic oil and changing it more frequently than Ford recommends and doing the same for coolant will help extend the life of this water pump.

Edited by Chipster