Oil & Filter Questions

bamabob

I've always had my oil changed in my 2016 Edge 2.0 EcoBoost at the dealership.  They use the Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter.  My dealership is about 50 miles away and often takes two hours of sitting in their waiting room.  Cost is $50.  I've been thinking of changing to Costco brand full synthetic and a Wix XP oil filter.  A local shop, 1 mile away, charges $25 labor if I bring my own oil and filter.  So for about the same cost I can go with a full synthetic, better filter and not have to wait a couple of hours and drive for two hours round trip.  I know the dealer service also includes a tire rotation but the tires I plan to buy at  Costco when needed include tire rotations and balance.  

I drive about 5000 miles a year now so would like to extend oil changes to every 18-24 months which exceeds manufacture recommendations.  The vehicle has 32,000 miles currently.  Does this sound like a good option or should I stick with the dealership and a yearly oil change?

Edited by bamabob

That's most certainly what I would do if I didn't have the means to do it myself.

I've heard only good reviews of the Costco branded oil - I buy Mobil-1 from Costco only when on special and claim the rebates online every year.

Keep your receipts for the oil and filters, and the service shop, and in addition to this I take a photo of the odometer with service indicator before and after I reset it (the photos data includes the date).

I would not extend the interval beyond what it states in your owners manual if you still want to maintain your warranty.

image-2.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

I'd also agree with @1004ron but suggest you remain with the Motorcraft oil filter. No reason to change to another oil filter brand as there has never been any bad reports on them.

For change intervals, I couldn't find it in the 2016 Owners Manual, but in previous Ford models, it would state that even when using Synthetic oil to not exceed the same change intervals. In the case of the Edge it is 1 year or 10k miles, whoever occurs first.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  You did remind me that I am still under factory warranty for the 5/50k powertrain warranty.  I think I'll have the next service done at my dealership.   For my 2008 Mercury Sable with 68,000 miles I think I'll change to the full syn and upgraded filter.  Haven't been happy with the dealership and their service lately.  They suffer from being able to recruit and maintain quality employees lately as do most places.