Oil Change question - keep the underside splash shield?

mrmikesdeuce

I'm a 76 year old DIY'er, and it's oil change time again for my '19 Edge Titanium 2.0. I recently bought my wife a '20 Ecosport Titanium, and noticed it doesn't have the underside splash shield. Well my Edge has that splash shield , and to me it's a pain in the  neck. What are the pros and cons of just leaving the splash shield off the vehicle this time after I change my oil and filter?

It's not a splash shield.  It is for aerodynamics and it also reduces NVH.  So no harm in removing it, cars survived without them decades.  Only you can decide if it matters to you.  Almost every car has them, and they take seconds to remove with a drill and socket adapter.

• 1004ron changed the title to Oil Change question - keep the underside splash shield?

I have done the mental back and forth over removing the shield as well. I got a small battery powered nut driver and an adapter to hold the torx bit, and as Todd suggests it takes just a few minutes to remove. One consideration I had but did not explore is: Would any noticeable wind noise be generated by turbulent air from its removal? I was just too lazy to do the R & D to find out.