Hard/cut key test - alarm went off!

Hi folks, 2011 Edge SEL here:

My kid had a small issue the other day when driving my car with the other ("his") key, like once inside the car a warning message popped up reading "key not detected" (or something along those lines).  He was able to fully operate the car without any problems anyway, but it made me realize it's time to "teach" him a few options he would have with this car thanks to the technology Ford incorporated on it.  Anyway, before showing him, I wanted to try myself, just to make sure I was not going to "look bad" if something doesn't work at the time I was showing him.  One thing I wanted to mimic is the case scenario if the key fob battery dies (and he doesn't know or doesn't remember the keypad code, and I am away from my phone when he calls to ask me, ...the worst possible case scenario where everything that can go wrong goes wrong...)  You got the idea.

So, I took the hard/cut key out of the key fob and placed the key fob far away, out of range, to neutralize the intelligent access (no key close by), then I inserted and turned the hard key in the door key slot: the driver door unlocked (great!), but immediately I can hear like a timer beeping from inside the car still with the door close (like in all movies when a car bomb is about to explode lol) And sure enough, when I opened the door the ...alarm went off!  ...and I couldn't, didn't know how to silence it.  So, I grabbed the key fob, close by ;)  Ah!, I forgot to mention: it's a push button start (no key slot to start the car).

So, if that happens in real life (battery dead dead in the key fob), how do you guys solve that issue.  Of course, the push button won't work because the key fob battery is dead, correct? (I didn't try that; the alarm drove me crazy!, I couldn't think lol). I know once inside the car you can place the key fob inside the arm rest specific location and then press the push button to start the car, but those "few" seconds feel like a century when the alarm is honking non stop!!! lol

Honestly, I was VERY surprised when the alarm went off;  I was NOT expecting that to happen.  TG I was just "rehearsing" before showing my kid ...how it works. lol

Any lightening solution?  Or something is not working properly in my car?  ...Or I did something not quite right that triggered the alarm?..

BTW: I don't have that issue (alarm going off) when I open the door after unlocking it with the keypad code... (probably of course...)

Thanks in advance, folks.

Edited by Edgingage

29 minutes ago, Edgingage said:

So, if that happens in real life (battery dead dead in the key fob), how do you guys solve that issue.  Of course, the push button won't work because the key fob battery is dead, correct? (I didn't try that; the alarm drove me crazy!, I couldn't think lol). I know once inside the car you can place the key fob inside the arm rest specific location and then press the push button to start the car, but those "few" seconds feel like a century when the alarm is honking non stop!!! lol

That is exactly what you should do. You should read the Owners Manual (link to PDF version). It is stated in the owners manual:

Note: If the driver’s door is unlocked with a key, a chime will sound when you open the door and the message center will display TO STOP ALARM START VEHICLE. When this occurs, you will have 12 seconds to disarm the alarm using any of the actions above, otherwise the alarm will trigger.

With a dead battery in the keyfob, the only way to start the engine is using the backup slot in the center console.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Page 142 in the owners manual :

• Unlock the doors using a key. If you use this method the system will not disarm, but you will have an opportunity to disarm the vehicle once entered. See the Note following.

Note: If the driver’s door is unlocked with a key, a chime will sound when you open the door and the message center will display TO STOP ALARM START VEHICLE. When this occurs, you will have 12 seconds to disarm the alarm using any of the actions above, otherwise the alarm will trigger.

IE, get in and start the car. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yap, I never thought about that situation (keyfob battery dead); and I knew the only way to start the push button car is with the keyfob in the slot inside the arm rest.  But I didn't know I have only 12 secs to do so before the alarm goes off lol.  Time to train him to beat the time! lol.

Thank you both.

Kid trained!  He beat the time lol.

Now, he asked me a curious question that I would like to pass it on to you: if I have the car key, it's not supposed that I also have the keyfob in my possession? (I'm taking the car key out of the keyfob).  What is the alarm for then, what's the alarm's purpose if I'm opening the car door with the car key?

5 hours ago, Edgingage said:

Kid trained!  He beat the time lol.

Now, he asked me a curious question that I would like to pass it on to you: if I have the car key, it's not supposed that I also have the keyfob in my possession? (I'm taking the car key out of the keyfob).  What is the alarm for then, what's the alarm's purpose if I'm opening the car door with the car key?

The vehicle is designed so that you always use the keyfob or keypad to access. You are not supposed to use the physical key except in emergencies (dead keyfob battery or dead vehicle battery). Using the physical key, the vehicle's perimeter alarm system would trigger once the door is opened (12 seconds) as you have not unarmed it with the fob or keypad. There is no physical switch inside the keyhole to disarm the alarm, so in the alarm's perspective, opening the door with the key is similar to an unauthorized entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1