Maestro RR2 for head unit replacement?

Been running the Sync2 head unit in my 2015 Edge with a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 to replace the factory amps for a couple years and have had mixed results at best.

Lately the Sync2 head unit itself has begun flaking out with volume control becoming unresponsive, voice command/nav audio cutting in and and out, proximity sensor sounds glitching out, etc.

At this point I'm just done with the factory head unit after trying to keep it worked into the system for this long. Doing some research, looks like the Maestro RR/RR2 is a good option to replace the head unit and retain factory functionality for on-screen controls. Anybody have any experience using one of these units?

Looking at one of the shallow mount iDatalink compatible Kenwoods to go with it. 

2 hours ago, redlancer said:

Been running the Sync2 head unit in my 2015 Edge with a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 to replace the factory amps for a couple years and have had mixed results at best.

Lately the Sync2 head unit itself has begun flaking out with volume control becoming unresponsive, voice command/nav audio cutting in and and out, proximity sensor sounds glitching out, etc.

At this point I'm just done with the factory head unit after trying to keep it worked into the system for this long. Doing some research, looks like the Maestro RR/RR2 is a good option to replace the head unit and retain factory functionality for on-screen controls. Anybody have any experience using one of these units?

Looking at one of the shallow mount iDatalink compatible Kenwoods to go with it. 

There was a recall on the SYNC2 APIM/ screen a while ago.  As far as I'm aware the recall ended. 

Personally I would do a SYNC3 swap. From an aesthetic POV, I haven't seen an aftermarket unit that seamlessly integrates with the design/ flow of the dash. 

Sync3 leaves me with dsr1 to interface with the aftermarket amps, and I'm over that hardware too. It's a product that looks amazing on paper but never quite gets there imo in practical use. Part of that could be the fault of having to integrate with the sync2, but gonna go a different direction regardless.

Agreed the oem HU always looks best for fit & finish but for the half the price of a sync3 swap you can get some pretty high end hardware. Probably gonna give this guy a go and see how the RR2 handles factory function integration:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dmx706s/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redlancer said:

Sync3 leaves me with dsr1 to interface with the aftermarket amps, and I'm over that hardware too. It's a product that looks amazing on paper but never quite gets there imo in practical use. Part of that could be the fault of having to integrate with the sync2, but gonna go a different direction regardless.

Agreed the oem HU always looks best for fit & finish but for the half the price of a sync3 swap you can get some pretty high end hardware. Probably gonna give this guy a go and see how the RR2 handles factory function integration:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dmx706s/

I'm picking up on what you're putting down. There is definitely a disconnect when it comes to OEM manufactures implementing support for aftermarket amps. They feel that their product is the best for the application and if you want anything else you should upgrade to a better entertainment package.

That Kenwood unit looks pretty slick. Admittedly my first thought was that it would look kinda goofy being a ~7" radio in a 8" opening. I just posted a video of it installed in a SHO .It looks slick and doesn't impede on the overall flow of the dash.  Not sure if the guy in the video purchased a separate bezel or if it came with it.   But it looks great. 

I purchased 5 different SYNC3 conversion kits for ~$500.  If this was available at the time of purchase, I would have strongly considered it.  Although there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with SYNC3 in terms of integration/ programming etc.

I would like to see if it has any impact on that aspect of it. I do not know if SYNC2/3 is integral to the vehicle as a whole. If not then the kenwood unit you suggested is definitely the superior choice.

Good luck with your project.  Looking forward to seeing your results.

Edited by onyxbfly

5 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

"Sorry, the product is currently out of stock."

They're definitely around, I think the 706 and 7706 were just released mid-2019. Their even newer models aren't shallow mount I don't think, so wouldn't fit in our dash. The street price on the 706 runs about $399, I've seen the 7706 for $299.

$500 for sync3 is certainly reasonable. Most of the kits that looked legit that I saw were in the $1500 range.

• Like 1