Enabling Remote Start Function on 2011 Edge

Howdy,

Thanks to information on this forum, I have installed the remote start hardware (series 100) for our 2011 Edge. New keys are cut and are programmed to start the car. Hopefully all that remains is activate the remote start feature with the Ford IDS tool or similar. My question is, are there other automotive computers besides Ford VCM II or III and IDS that can enable this feature such as Snap-On Apollo D9, Autel MAXISYS, and etc?  I am trying to figure out if I need to suck up dealer pricing to turn this on or if I should contact other shops that may have this capability.

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, ScratchMan said:

Howdy,

Thanks to information on this forum, I have installed the remote start hardware (series 100) for our 2011 Edge. New keys are cut and are programmed to start the car. Hopefully all that remains is activate the remote start feature with the Ford IDS tool or similar. My question is, are there other automotive computers besides Ford VCM II or III and IDS that can enable this feature such as Snap-On Apollo D9, Autel MAXISYS, and etc?  I am trying to figure out if I need to suck up dealer pricing to turn this on or if I should contact other shops that may have this capability.

Thank you.

You should be able to do it with ForScan software on a windows PC/Laptop and a good quality OBD2 adapter like the OBDLink EX (wired/USB) or OBDLink MX+ (wireless/Bluetooth).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omar302 said:

You should be able to do it with ForScan software on a windows PC/Laptop and a good quality OBD2 adapter like the OBDLink EX (wired/USB) or OBDLink MX+ (wireless/Bluetooth).

Thank you. I will purchase OBDLink EX and report back. If anyone else can confirm that works, that would be great.

Edited by ScratchMan
The internet appreciates punctuation and grammer.

FORScan will work fine - it's a 3-rd party tool to modify the AsBuilt data (features / vehicle data programming) in all modern Fords.  I do strongly recommend you read up on FORScan first rather than diving right in (just because it's a powerful tool, and so many people get too comfortable and cause issues since they don't know what they're really doing).

There are plenty of how-to guides and spreadsheets across Ford-related (or Forscan themselves) forums. Good luck!

Edited by DaMiFo
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. OBDLink EX arrived today and loaded up Forscan. Enabling remote start was very easy as the setting was already identified in the BCM Module Configuration. I also enabled the remote start control options for the instrument panel display. This was not identified in the IPC module configuration and required updating memory location 720-01-03 (2011 Edge) in the As Built options. 

Maintained my perfect record of never taking a vehicle to the dealership. 

• Like 3

ScratchMan, was your remote start system the bi-directional?  I am currently trying to install the OEM bi-directional unit, in the rear drivers cargo panel.  This system has 2 antennas, one that is attached  behind the trim  panel and is shaped like a "T" when the wire is connected, the other  antenna is shaped like a large Grey key with a 5' or 6' long ribbon wire attached.  Since there are not any instructions in the kit, I have deducted that the key shaped part goes in a window.  What was your system like?  I am also going to  purchase the OBDlink, was the software free?

Thanks for the info.  I have searched the part number on google and YouTube and even though the parts numbers are the same, there is a difference in what came out of the box.  The bi directional transmitter only has a cable that is about 5 feet long and there is no way to get it to the optimal spot in the windshield.  What doesn't make sense is the info I do find that was posted in this post, show's the modules installed in the cargo panel but the bi directional antenna installed in the windshield,  I would need 12' of cable to achieve that.  Looking for the best placement for the antenna, we purchased this unit because of its long range, so want to get the antenna in the optimal spot.

The bi directional remote start utilizes the VSS module which is an add on post factory module that gets mounted under the dash usually in the area above the brake/gas pedal.  Sounds to me like you have the standard antenna which plugs into the TPMS in the rear cargo area and that is one directional for use with the IKT's (original style key fobs).

Edited by jmr061