NEED NEW TIRES, WHAT DO YOU HAVE?

IZZYAZ

My wifes 07 Edge SEL+ FWD 18" rims, is in need of a new set of tires. The OE tires (Continental :censored: ) are shot at 20,000 miles (imagine that) with rotating every 6000 miles and mostly hiway driving. I need to get her a new set before the snow starts to fly in a month or so.

So what tires do you have on your Edge? How much did you pay? How is the wet traction? Dry? Snow? How many miles do you have on your tires? Noise? Etc.

I've been to TireRack.com and looked thru there, and nothing really popped out at me. So I am looking for some other Edge owners opinions. I have always drove trucks, so I have always put on mud-terrain tires, just don't think those would be the best tires for the Edge :hysterical:

My wifes 07 Edge SEL+ FWD 18" rims, is in need of a new set of tires. The OE tires (Continental :censored: ) are shot at 20,000 miles (imagine that) with rotating every 6000 miles and mostly hiway driving. I need to get her a new set before the snow starts to fly in a month or so.

So what tires do you have on your Edge? How much did you pay? How is the wet traction? Dry? Snow? How many miles do you have on your tires? Noise? Etc.

I've been to TireRack.com and looked thru there, and nothing really popped out at me. So I am looking for some other Edge owners opinions. I have always drove trucks, so I have always put on mud-terrain tires, just don't think those would be the best tires for the Edge :hysterical:

Hi IZZYAZ. :D Personally, I would go with the recommendations of an expert source like The Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc, before taking the advice of us Internet mooks (including myself). Only you know what type of driving you do, how much snow, rain etc you drive in, and what your tastes are in a tire.

In an Internet poll, you will get some very good advice and some very bad advice. I always like to remind people that over the Internet we may be dealing with a very intelligent caring individual, or someone wearing a tin foil hat, living and hiding out from the aliens and CIA in their parents basement. :hysterical:

What are your priorities in a tire? Ride Comfort? Handling? Road noise? Tread life? Fuel mileage? Of course, it will be a balance of all of the above, but only you know what your priorities are. As you probably found out on the Tire Rack site, you can use their tools to narrow down your selection to your specific tastes.

Having said all of that, I tend to favor Goodyear, Michelin and BF Goodrich, in no particular order. I have had the best luck with those brands over the years.

In the end, we have to consult the experts for the best advice, so I usually advise skipping the middlemen and going straight to the experts.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Hi IZZYAZ. I have added this PS after I saw that akirby replied below. Just wanted to let you know that akirby certainly has a place of his own, and has never been known to wear a tinfoil hat! :grouphug:

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

I think the new Edges come with the Michelin Pilot LTX - I'll check when I get home. You can't go wrong with Michelins - but they won't be the cheapest. The Michelin Latitude Tour HP got even better survey results than the Pilot LTX according to tirerack.com. There are other less expensive choices that are also good. Tirerack.com is a good resource.

BBF,

I hear what you are saying about the tin foil hats. I just like to get all the research I can and hear as many different opinions as I can before I go blow $500-900 on a set of tires.

Like I said in my original post I have only purchased tires for my trucks. The wifes car usually gets traded off before needing tires. I just can't believe that an OE tire today will only last 20k miles. But then again, after looking on Tire Racks web site and compairing other OE tires to the Continentals, I see why we only got 20k out of them.

I am leaning towards the Firestore Destination LE or the Michelin LTX . I have always heard good things about Michelins, but not sure if it's worth the extra $200 for a set. I had Firestone Destinations on my last F150 that where OE and they where very good tires. They lasted almost 35k miles, and that is with 30%+ driving on gravel, which eats tires. Now the wifes Edge has never seen gravel, and never will, so that is not an issue.

So with that said, I guess what the wifes wants in a tire are something that is round, holds air, and is quite. Myself, I am looking for something that too has those first (3) fine qualities, but I also want decent traction in the snow/ice, as well as dry. I guess I want everything for nothing.

BBF,

I hear what you are saying about the tin foil hats. I just like to get all the research I can and hear as many different opinions as I can before I go blow $500-900 on a set of tires.

Like I said in my original post I have only purchased tires for my trucks. The wifes car usually gets traded off before needing tires. I just can't believe that an OE tire today will only last 20k miles. But then again, after looking on Tire Racks web site and compairing other OE tires to the Continentals, I see why we only got 20k out of them.

I am leaning towards the Firestore Destination LE or the Michelin LTX . I have always heard good things about Michelins, but not sure if it's worth the extra $200 for a set. I had Firestone Destinations on my last F150 that where OE and they where very good tires. They lasted almost 35k miles, and that is with 30%+ driving on gravel, which eats tires. Now the wifes Edge has never seen gravel, and never will, so that is not an issue.

So with that said, I guess what the wifes wants in a tire are something that is round, holds air, and is quite. Myself, I am looking for something that too has those first (3) fine qualities, but I also want decent traction in the snow/ice, as well as dry. I guess I want everything for nothing.

NOT a big fan of Bridgestone. Started with a 68 Mustang (in 1969)

97 Ranger (Recalled and replaced with Bridgestones)

and ended with a 04 BMW X3.

TROUBLE with ALL 4 sets.

The Pirelli's on our MKX seem to be doing fine. The OEM Pirelli's on my F250 have 40K on them and still look good, they work in the rain, no snow here.

ab

BBF,

Hi IZZYAZ. :D I am temporarily removing my tinfoil hat. :hysterical:

I did some quick checking on the Tire Rack site and have to agree with akirby here. Have you considered the Michelin Latitude Tour HP? It is the standard equipment tire from the factory on the 2008 Edge SEL FWD.

It is showing a price of $129 for the factory 18" size. That is $30 less per tire than the Michelin LTX ($159) and only $5 more per tire than the Firestone Destination LE ($124).

In researching the tires quickly, it seems it may be a better choice. It is less of a truck oriented tire, and is listed as more suitable to the crossover category the Edge occupies.

But again, I do not know your specific needs, so take a look on the Tire Rack site.

Just a thought.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi IZZYAZ. :D I am temporarily removing my tinfoil hat. :hysterical:

I did some quick checking on the Tire Rack site and have to agree with akirby here. Have you considered the Michelin Latitude Tour HP? It is the standard equipment tire from the factory on the 2008 Edge SEL FWD.

It is showing a price of $129 for the factory 18" size. That is $30 less per tire than the Michelin LTX ($159) and only $5 more per tire than the Firestone Destination LE ($124).

I just checked and the Latitude Tour HP is what's on our Edge (18") Limited. After 5K miles they're fantastic - quiet and smooth with no issues. I was confusing them with the Pilot LTX that came on our Aviator. Also a good tire but if the Latitude is $129 then that would be a no-brainer for me.

I just checked and the Latitude Tour HP is what's on our Edge (18") Limited. After 5K miles they're fantastic - quiet and smooth with no issues. I was confusing them with the Pilot LTX that came on our Aviator. Also a good tire but if the Latitude is $129 then that would be a no-brainer for me.

I have an 08 Limited FWD with the Latitude HP's as well. I only have 3000 miles on them but so far I like them. They have not seen the snow yet - I'm not quite sure if I want them too either. HEHE. Anyway, the tread life rating on the HP's is actually one of the best in the options you have from tirerack.com.

Just my $.02

My 08 AWD LTD has these as standard tires. Latitude Tour HP I did use them in one of the worst snowstorms up here in Toronto, Canada and they did perform way better than my Land Rover Disco 2 SE-7 with Yokohamas (sic)!!! It was sure footed as well as great in braking and cornering. It may have been that the tires had less than 400 miles on them. I have 16,000 Km (10,000 miles) on them now with a fantasic amount of tread on them. I do both highway and city driving, loaded, pulling a trailer and empty.

I usually replace any tires I get on any of my vehicles when I first get them. The stock tires are usually the cheapest with marginal performance. This is the first new vehicle where I did not replace the tires. These were designed for the edge to reduce rolling resistance when driving. I had to get used to easing up on the gas pedal earlier than normal (with other vehicles) to begin slowing down. It does seem the resistance is less ... and it gets better fuel numbers to boot.

.... now ... who stole my foil hat ... darn redufo is trying to get inside my head again .... :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...
NOT a big fan of Bridgestone. Started with a 68 Mustang (in 1969)

97 Ranger (Recalled and replaced with Bridgestones)

and ended with a 04 BMW X3.

TROUBLE with ALL 4 sets.

The Pirelli's on our MKX seem to be doing fine. The OEM Pirelli's on my F250 have 40K on them and still look good, they work in the rain, no snow here.

ab

You and I are in the same club. After owning them on a 2002 Maxima, I won't even look at a set of Bridgestones. Worst tires I ever owned on ANY vehicle next to the Goodyear RS-As on my Caprice.

My 08 AWD LTD has these as standard tires. Latitude Tour HP I did use them in one of the worst snowstorms up here in Toronto, Canada and they did perform way better than my Land Rover Disco 2 SE-7 with Yokohamas (sic)!!! It was sure footed as well as great in braking and cornering. It may have been that the tires had less than 400 miles on them. I have 16,000 Km (10,000 miles) on them now with a fantasic amount of tread on them. I do both highway and city driving, loaded, pulling a trailer and empty.

I usually replace any tires I get on any of my vehicles when I first get them. The stock tires are usually the cheapest with marginal performance. This is the first new vehicle where I did not replace the tires. These were designed for the edge to reduce rolling resistance when driving. I had to get used to easing up on the gas pedal earlier than normal (with other vehicles) to begin slowing down. It does seem the resistance is less ... and it gets better fuel numbers to boot.

.... now ... who stole my foil hat ... darn redufo is trying to get inside my head again .... :happy feet:

My Edge came stock with the Hankook DynaPros. What's your take on those?

My Edge came stock with the Hankook DynaPros. What's your take on those?

EDITED - To correct my mistake. Checked the Tire Rack website and saw that the Hankook is an OEM tire on the 2008 SE and SEL with 17" wheels. The 18" wheels have the Michelin Latitude. Never knew Hankook was in the mix. Should have double checked before I first replied! :banghead: Also came back and saw akirby's reply.

Hi PrinzII. :D Not sure if you have already tried it, but there is a very good tire rating system on the Tire Rack website: LINK: The Tire Rack

Also on the Discount Tire website: LINK: Discount Tire

Edited by bbf2530

Hi PrinzII. :D Did you purchase your Edge new or used (or was it a Dealer demo)? To my knowledge, Hankook DynaPros are not an OEM tire offering on the Edge. Someone please correct me if I am wrong (and if you could provided a link, I would appreciate it).

In the meantime, I will also double check my information.

The first models came with Hankook or Continental tires - don't remember the models, but I remember that I didn't like either of the choices and was really glad when they switched to Michelin Latitudes before we bought our 08 limited.

• 3 months later...

I ended up getting the Firestone Destination LE. I may not be as happy with them as I would be with the Michelins, but I have a buddy that is a manager at a Firestone dealership and he got me a set for $435 plus $100 cash card. So for basically $80 a tire. The Michelins that I was looking at where twice the price. So the checking account won this time.

I ended up getting the Firestone Destination LE. I may not be as happy with them as I would be with the Michelins, but I have a buddy that is a manager at a Firestone dealership and he got me a set for $435 plus $100 cash card. So for basically $80 a tire. The Michelins that I was looking at where twice the price. So the checking account won this time.

Great deal..you can't beat that!

I did not know much about the Hankooks before our Edge, but it's not a bad tire. At about 25k miles now and they have less than 50% tread left and that is with missing the first couple of rotations. Good tire, minimal noise, great in wet, great in snow...but I still manage to spin the heck out of them when I stomp on the gas in dry weather. Go figure!

Hello,

I just had to replace the tires on my wifes 07 Edge SEL AWD. The junk tires that came stock were Hanpukes(Hankook) and only had 25000 miles on them. They still had alot of tred left but the sidewall on one of the tires blew out going down the road. I have since found out that this is a common problem with these tires. The tire place that i had new tires put on had three Hankook tires in our size with blown out sidewalls and they came from three different style vehicles(very scary). I wouldnt recommend Hankook to anyone due to my experience with them. They might be good tires but i will never trust them again. I chose to replace them with Cooper Discoverer HTs and i couldnt be happier. The price was way,way,way cheaper than what the BIG tires companies want(Michelin,GY,Bridgestone, ETC) and these tires are just as good. These tires ride excellent and have great traction. I am very impressed with the Cooper tires and i would highly recommend giving them a chance for your vehicle. Good luck with whatever tire you do choose.

Edited by kiese02

I chose to replace them with Cooper Discoverer HTs and i couldnt be happier. The price was way,way,way cheaper than what the BIG tires companies want(Michelin,GY,Bridgestone, ETC) and these tires are just as good. These tires ride excellent and have great traction. I am very impressed with the Cooper tires and i would highly recommend giving them a chance for your vehicle.

I have ran Cooper ST and SST tires on my trucks for the last 6-7 years. They are a great tire, have great traction in every condition and wear evenly and I get about 40k miles out of them. And for the way I treat tires that is a long time. The only problem with Cooper tires, they are in finacial problems from what I hear and the price of their tires are going up, I assume to make up for their cash short fall. Never the less, they are still cheaper then the larger companies and in my opinion for an all-terrain tire the best money can buy.

Now back to the subject at hand, Kiese02, I looked at them before I got my Firestones and couldn't find any to fit the stock 18" rim. Do you have the 17" rims? or how/what size are you rrunning?

Coopers are garbage.

Reason???

Every mfr. has a set of tires that are garbage. I have only had the Cooper ST and SST truck tires. If they can last 40k miles to my abuse and my brother-in-law works for a quarry and his company truck they run the same type tires and he will get 25k to 30k out of the Coopers. BFG, Goodyear, Firestones all last about 15k to 20k.

So if you don't like Cooper tires that's fine, lets just hear why!!!!

I do have the 17" rims, sorry about that. I noticed after i posted that you werent looking for 17's. I really like the Coopers that we have on our Edge now and they handle far better than the Hankooks that were OEM. Like you said for the price you cant go round, besides, which companies arent in financial trouble these days!!!!

I have ran Cooper ST and SST tires on my trucks for the last 6-7 years. They are a great tire, have great traction in every condition and wear evenly and I get about 40k miles out of them. And for the way I treat tires that is a long time. The only problem with Cooper tires, they are in finacial problems from what I hear and the price of their tires are going up, I assume to make up for their cash short fall. Never the less, they are still cheaper then the larger companies and in my opinion for an all-terrain tire the best money can buy.

Now back to the subject at hand, Kiese02, I looked at them before I got my Firestones and couldn't find any to fit the stock 18" rim. Do you have the 17" rims? or how/what size are you rrunning?

• 5 months later...

I just put Michelin Latitute Tours on mine, driven about 200 miles so far and love them. I'm a LTX fan but my tire guy could not find them and recommended the Latitude which saved me $$$. My set mounted, balanced and installed $640.

• 2 weeks later...