Staggered Tire

Breze84

Anyone slap a wider tire on their 21" wheel. What size you running? My 19 ST has factory 265/40/21. Was thinking  of kerping 265/40/21 front and doing a staggered 295/35/21 rear on same 9" wheel which puts it less then a 1% variance of the front which should be very acceptable for a awd vehicle. Similar to how a  Macan is 265 front 295 rear. A 295 will fit on a 9" wheel with a minor bulge and you obviously lose the ability to rotate which is ok. Just wondering about wheel well ect. I can figure it out, just being lazy ?... I know it has been done on the SHO with 0 issues to AWD system with a greater % size variance...

Of course it can hurt the steering.  Steering is all about the compliance and stiffness of the tire.  If you cantilever the sidewall out to a wider tread on the same narrow wheel, it will not have the same stiffness.  So you'll end up with faster response from the front tires than the rear, which will make the car feel disconnected and out of phase.  This isn't something that you have to be on a race track to feel, this is something you might notice just driving down the highway doing lane changes or gradual curves.  It might not even be something you consciously notice, but it will make the vehicle more tiresome to drive as you're constantly correcting the steering.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Of course it can hurt the steering.  Steering is all about the compliance and stiffness of the tire.  If you cantilever the sidewall out to a wider tread on the same narrow wheel, it will not have the same stiffness.  So you'll end up with faster response from the front tires than the rear, which will make the car feel disconnected and out of phase.  This isn't something that you have to be on a race track to feel, this is something you might notice just driving down the highway doing lane changes or gradual curves.  It might not even be something you consciously notice, but it will make the vehicle more tiresome to drive as you're constantly correcting the steering.

This is purely for appearance to widen up the stance a bit in the rear in conjunction with how wide the rear tailgate and bumper is. This will have 0 affect on what you are saying. The actual variance in size difference is .3% which is almost nothing. The width size difference between the 2 sized is literally around 1.1" total. The heights and rotation are almost identical. The awd drivetrain has plenty of forgiveness with this for the fact of having to run spare tires, Loss of air ect. I run staggered setups on both my 9 sec Grand National and 9 sec Z06 with a monster difference in size and 0 steer issues. Ive been doing this for a long time, My question is more along the line has anyone had any fitment issues with a 295 in the wheel well before I actually dig into it. This questing can yield a simple response of yes I tried and it worked or no it rubbed, Not a question so much as if it will work in a staggered stance "Which it will".  Many manufactures do this on SUV's ect, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche ect... The Macan alone runs a 265/45/20 front and 295/40/20 and works as it should from the factory on a AWD setup, These are production vehicles. So saying it will not is not true.... Now obviously if your front tire is 29" tall and your rear is 30" tall, Now you would have a problem. But if you can keep your rotation mass ect within a 1% "Some say 2%"  variance of eachother, Everything should be kosher 

Edited by Breze84

I have the original 20" wheels /tire combo on my car for the winter time but I've upgraded to 22" for the summertime but all are 4 tires are the same size. I guess you can mix tire sizes but in the end what matters is that they all have the same outside diameter.

Claude.

• Like 1

You are 100% missing my point.  Do those factory staggered setups run the same wheel sizes (width) front and rear?  Did your Grand National and Z06 run the same wheel sizes front and rear?  When an OEM designs a staggered setup, then compensate in the tuning for the difference in tire properties.  They also select wheel sizes that are suited to the tires.  My concern is where you say you are going to stick a 295/40 on a 9in wheel.  A 295/40 should be on a 10.5in wheel (10in minimum) if you want it to perform the way it was designed.  On a 9in wheel it is not going to perform the way it should, which means you're going to have the steering issues I'm talking about.  There is a reason tire manufacturers publish minimum rim sizes for each tire.

I'm not talking about the overall diameter difference and the AWD system.  From that point of view you should be fine, the system is designed to operate on tires within a 2% tolerance.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 2

The recommended wheel width for 295/35-19 is 10-11.5", so a 9" width wheel is on the narrow side.

In my experience anyone who uses the term 'stance' regarding a vehicle does not care how it handles or rides....so it will work fine.

326_power_shakotan_supra_001-1024x683.jp

Edited by todd92

23 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

I have the original 20" wheels /tire combo on my car for the winter time but I've upgraded to 22" for the summertime but all are 4 tires are the same size. I guess you can mix tire sizes but in the end what matters is that they all have the same outside diameter.

Claude.

Exactly. On a side note you Buick runs almost a identical time to my 87 GN lol

23 hours ago, Waldo said:

You are 100% missing my point.  Do those factory staggered setups run the same wheel sizes (width) front and rear?  Did your Grand National and Z06 run the same wheel sizes front and rear?  When an OEM designs a staggered setup, then compensate in the tuning for the difference in tire properties.  They also select wheel sizes that are suited to the tires.  My concern is where you say you are going to stick a 295/40 on a 9in wheel.  A 295/40 should be on a 10.5in wheel (10in minimum) if you want it to perform the way it was designed.  On a 9in wheel it is not going to perform the way it should, which means you're going to have the steering issues I'm talking about.  There is a reason tire manufacturers publish minimum rim sizes for each tire.

I'm not talking about the overall diameter difference and the AWD system.  From that point of view you should be fine, the system is designed to operate on tires within a 2% tolerance.

With that being said yes, recommend is as stated but it will fit on a 9" perfectly... 

edger3.jpg.45b69ee0f2cb3e402396c9ed40631cd5.jpg

On 3/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Claude.

IMG_20190117_170135.jpg