Cargo lid max opening height

I know by now I shouldn't bang my head on the cargo lid; however, it still happens often enough.

My 2011 SEL, when the lid opens automatically by any of the intended means (driver's push button, lid push button or key fob button) it reaches a maximum height of 66-1/2" (measured from the ground to the lowest interior lid point).  But then I can push the lid by hand farther up to 71" (another 4-1/2" up) which diminishes my frequent head-banging noticeably.  However, once I close and open the lid automatically again it'll travel to its "original" previously set automatic height again (66-1/2" from the floor).

Does anyone know if it's possible to set/reset the cargo lid height to automatically travel to the same maximum height reached by manual push up?

Please help me not banging my head anymore :)

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Edgingage said:

I know by now I shouldn't bang my head on the cargo lid; however, it still happens often enough.

My 2011 SEL, when the lid opens automatically by any of the intended means (driver's push button, lid push button or key fob button) it reaches a maximum height of 66-1/2" (measured from the ground to the lowest interior lid point).  But then I can push the lid by hand farther up to 71" (another 4-1/2" up) which diminishes my frequent head-banging noticeably.  However, once I close and open the lid automatically again it'll travel to its "original" previously set automatic height again (66-1/2" from the floor).

Does anyone know if it's possible to set/reset the cargo lid height to automatically travel to the same maximum height reached by manual push up?

Please help me not banging my head anymore :)

Thanks in advance.

22 minutes ago, ben senise said:

can you manually push the back hatch higher?

it can be set to stop electronically at any height. just position it where you want it and then hold the button on the hatch until it beeps. that should set the height.

Maximum heightight is not adjustable on the 2011. For the Edge it was added on 2015+ models. For OP, I'd suspect that the lift struts (the normal gas ones) are weak, hence the motor is not able to get the liftgate to the maximum height. Especially considering they are now ~ 10 years old.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, omar302 said:

Maximum heightight is not adjustable on the 2011. For the Edge it was added on 2015+ models. For OP, I'd suspect that the lift struts (the normal gas ones) are weak, hence the motor is not able to get the liftgate to the maximum height. Especially considering they are now ~ 10 years old.

hmmm, sorry. i thought it was on my '09.

Hello Omar and all:

I just mounted a new set of gas struts for the hood.  I could replace the ones for the cargo lid.  However, how can I make sure that's what's preventing the lid to go to its max?  I wouldn't want to replace the cargo lid struts ...and still keep banging my head lol.

Edited by Edgingage