No Mids or Lows

I have a 2020 SEL with Navigation. I have my wife's 2016 in for service & they gave me a 2020 SEL without Nav as a loaner. The sound is way better than mine. Neither has the sub in the back. Mine has barely any mid band or low band even with the settings for both nearly all the way up. I talked to the parts guy here at the dealership & he said that the loaner has a premium sound system (no woofer) & my mine has the mid sound system.

I've already replaced the 'woofers' in all 4 doors & made 0 difference. I've done a little messing around in FORScan & it has made 0 difference, maybe a tiny tiny difference. A couple of people suggested just installing an Amp. I like the Sync 3 system, so I'd prefer to not loose that. Is there a way to improve the sound without much modification? Where would the Amp go? I've put sound systems in my older cars, but that required a new head unit, Amp & actual subs. I've tried Crutchfield, but they just list replacement parts & not a Amp for the 'normal' speakers. Thoughts? 

Basic system is 6 speakers, the premium system(9 speakers) which enigma is correct. It makes no difference if you have navigation or not.

You went around  and made sure all speakers are putting out sound? I'm not sure if  the SEL has a stereo/surround setting but surround makes a big difference if it is there.

Edited by Perblue

Yes, I can fade the sound to the back & sides & there's audio out of each speaker. The door chime comes out of the front center speaker. The loaner 2020 SEL sounded like my wife's 2016 SEL which also has Nav. I'm thinking that it's the head unit itself not pushing out the needed wattage for the Mids & Lows. 

On 4/22/2021 at 5:39 PM, lildisco said:

Yes, I've switched it to all occupancy mode or whatever they call it. Made a tiny difference. 

The walk-around test mode is where you put the audio system into a test mode where each speaker is tested one-at-a-time and various other tests/functions.

There are two different ways to enter the test phase.

1) tune in a FM station and hold the eject and next buttons ( >| ) at the same time for ~10 seconds.

2) (if you don't have a CD) use the skip next button on the steering wheel (left button array) and the skip next on the control interface at the same time for several seconds until the walk-around speaker test starts. 

When in speaker testing, you can press the menu and open a wide array of new menu options to make adjusting on the audio system that you can't make in normal use. 

Edited by enigma-2

• 1 month later...

Ended up going this route. It definitely made the sound more enjoyable & I can actually hear & feel the bass now. It's not like adding a sub or different head unit, but woke it up just enough to make it sound OK enough for a 'factory' system. Our 16 SEL is definitely still better. 

https://www.focusfanatics.com/threads/simple-focus-mk3-audio-upgrade.324097/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...