2011 ford edge tow package

Hey all, I have a 2011 ford edge with out the tow package, with out the package my limit is 2000.  Pulling two skis on a double trailer plus passengers and cargo and I'm at about 2300 to 2700 depending who's comming with me.  Trips are only about 30 min max one way.  Is it possible for the tow package to be installed to get me up to the 3500?  Engine is the 3.5 liter, FWD

If you'd like to use Ford parts: larger capacity radiator, higher capacity cooling fan assembly, trailer wiring kit, trailer hitch.

Fan assembly will require additional wiring and fuse in Battery Distribution Box, due to 2 X 40 amp cartridge fuse circuit protection needed, instead of current single 60 amp cartridge fuse.

It's a lot less costly to have it all factory-installed, but I'm in the same situation as you with my 2015 MKX, and presently awaiting a back-ordered fan assembly.

Factory tow package does not increase transmission fluid cooling within the air conditioning condenser, but adding an auxiliary transmission cooler is a prudent thing to do, while the front end is disassembled.

Just as an informational reference, the SAE Tow Test Standards (PDF download link) applied when calculating a vehicle's tow rating include operating conditions that many of us may never encounter, like climbing and descending the Davis Dam grade...

tech-map-inline-photo-429486-s-original.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1