2011 Edge LTD with transfer case output shaft and passenger side leaks

CMOS

So in getting an oil change on my 100K mile 2011 Edge Limited AWD I was informed that the transfer case output shaft was leaking gear oil, and the transmission is leaking ATF.   I had to top both up as the oil change place can't wrench a transmission.

Would these problems be related to the PTU issues I am seeing all over this board from literally 2008 to 2016 or something?     I more likely than not have shavings in the transfer case but the car has not had any issues driving.   (Technician said it has probably been there for quite a while).

I'd confirm what OilChange Tech said; best put Edge on jack stands then crawl under & inspect yourself.

PTU=TransferCase could be venting GearOil out top & that's spilling down over the case & rear output shaft?

How many miles on the vehicle & has the PTU GearOil ever been changed?

Does your PTU have just a 1/2" FillBung, or does it also have a smaller DrainBung?

If only a 1/2"FillBung, then recommend Drilling+Tapping the PTU case bottom & installing a Drain.

Details on how to do this at

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/23396-ptu-drill-and-tap/?do=findComment&comment=219556

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 1