What key does it take?

Bought this MKX used, a 2008. It came with a transponder key with no fob whatsoever. I just ordered two IKT keys that have four buttons.

owners manual says it may use the 3 button or the 4 button. 
I also understand that some keys may have different programming where the original would have HA stamped on it.

I have NO clue what kind of key is needed.

I tried to program the key fob buttons and all the car would do is honk when I press the lock button. That’s it!

At my wits end. I’m no rookie at this, I’ve done this a lot over the years but I’m stumped.

Dealer can determine what keys are required by running your VIN.

You will also need to have the dealer cut and program the keys as they will need to hook up a computer to program both keys.

A 3-button key opens the doors and has a red key for panic. A 4-button key also has a button to open the rear hatch.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-Button-Remote-Key-CWTWB1U793-80-Bit-SA-FORD-OEM-Chip-4D63-A-USA-Seller-/233642665001?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

But talk to your dealer FIRST. Some dealers will refuse to program if you don't buy the keys from them. (Now you can also have a local locksmith cut the keys and program the keys into the body control module.

Go here and request a window sticker for your car. It will help you to figure out what you have. https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63182-window-sticker-requests/&page=74

G ADD KEY (Must have two working original keys):

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded keys into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 3 (RUN) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (RUN) position for at least 3 seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.

5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 3 (RUN) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (RUN) position for at least 3 seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and remove the second coded key from the ignition.

7. Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new un-programmed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 3 (RUN) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (RUN) position for at least 6 seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

If the key has been successfully programmed, it will start the vehicle’s engine and will operate the remote entry system (if the new key is an Integrated Keyhead Transmitter). The theft indicator light will illuminate for 3 seconds and then go out to indicate successful programming.

If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle’s engine and/or will not operate the remote entry features. The theft indicator light may flash on and off. Wait 20 seconds and you may repeat Steps 1 through 8. If the failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the new key(s) programmed.

To program additional new un-programmed key(s), wait 20 seconds and then repeat this procedure from Step 1.

ADD KEY (Must have two working integrated keys):

1. Insert first working integrated key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position for at least 3 seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second working integrated key and turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 15 seconds.

After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash.

Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

3. Insert a blank integrated key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound and the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop flashing. Turn on again for 3 seconds and then turn off.

The new integrated key is programmed. The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure. Repeat this procedure to program up to 8 keys. 9 O

MOD Edit: The wall of text makes for an impossible read, especially something like this.

Edited by EddieHudson