Went to dragstrip with my 2019 Ford Edge ST

TT Steve

2019 Ford Edge ST 11k miles, stock untouched, 91 octane fuel with half tank. Of course in Sport Mode. I am 265lbs. Still need to take it to see actual weight of SUV even though everyone says between 4500-4600lbs.

Albuquerque Dragstrip - Albuquerque, NM. - Altitude 5300'. DA last night was 8200'. Temperature 85'. 

Runs with no cool downs or 2 hot laps. This was the best run with 1 hotlap prior. All runs were 14.55 to 14.58 at 93 or more.

14.53ET @ 93.42mph

2.10 60ft. time

Dragy showed 14.61ET @ 93mph with 2.20 60ft. 

Wish the intial launch was harder and the shifts were better. That alone could net low 14s IMHO especially the shift points.

Would like to see high 13s with tuning and maybe a drop in air filter? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have viewed this post. I posted this to show what I could get from it like coming right off the street nice and toasty.

Next time out, I will do a few things different to see any performance gains. I would appreciate any feedback on my simple goal. Please no suggesting of mods yet. I really want to limit them to a tune, air filter and possiby manufacturing a replacement airbox for some real air to enter the box in the future.

1st. I had read that being in Normal mode as opposed to Sport mode I can get better shift points which may help in the ET department. That has been a concern of mine as it just dips over too much before the shift. Maybe worse in Sport mode. I messed around on the street and not sure how much better Normal mode is but I will do it at the strip to see. 

2nd. The next thing I figured was brake boosting off the line might be pulling timing if you are in it too long. So I will brake boost and hit the max then quickly launch from there. I seemed to see that also being better before as well. 

3rd. Perhaps a little cool down between runs. 20 minutes or so with the hood open? Maybe run an external fan over the engine? I used to ice down my race cars back in the day and seemed to help although I see cooler fuel nets more performance. 

4th. We only have 91 octane out here so would adding a quality octane booster like say from Torco Racing fuels be beneficial? I don't know how these stock ECUs are setup. Do they just pull timing from knock sensing?

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Edited by TT Steve
  • Like 3

With such a high DA you did good. Yes,  an octane booster like Race Gas or Torco will help allowing more timing advance. I bet if you try again in the fall when temps go down some.

1.  the DA will be lower

2. and with Torco or Race Gas octane booster.

3.  a 1/4 tank of fuel

4.  take out the spare tire and jack  50 lbs or so dead weight 

5 you can add a different air filter like K&N or aFE of other.

6. turn off traction control 

7. use the sport mode. 

8. open the hood between rounds to help cool down,

You will see that 13 second pass. 

Edited by Xtra

I would be impressed if I saw a high 13. Cool temps always nice to deal with even at high altitude. We take what we can but even in the best weather of 55' as long as the traction temp is decent IE; full sun, I am not sure 13s would be possible. But heck, who knows we will see. 

I will still try Regular mode at least 3 times to get a baseline then go back to Sport mode to see if there are any definitive gains or losses. For sure turn off traction control but I will leave the air filter and weight removal for another time though.

I may hit the strip this weekend and will update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update for this boring thread. Figured I would post the images of the track run slip and corresponding Dragy slip. 

Now the next update is what little bits and pieces I have acquired. Ultimate Performance intercooler, K&N air filter, Big Mouth ram-air, GFB diverter valve DV+ and of course tunes from Unleashed Tuning for the HP Tuner RTD. The tunes I will get will be a 91 but trying to decide on an aggressive 93 tune where I would mix some 108 unleaded race fuel with our crappy 91 pump or perhaps an E50 tune that I heard Torrie could do if that is true. I email him when the time comes.  I have looked at possibly looking at getting the MPVI2 to do my own tunes but time will tell. 

To be honest, my goal is to have a low to mid 13 ride up here at 5250 altitude. The Edge is scheduled for the trans TSB in a little over week or so. Once they hopefully correct that, then I will send Torrie the stock tune to see what he can do.

Oh and to keep this site a little more lively especially for the ST side of things, I'll do a video and image write up of how I do the intercooler along with the Big Mouth. I may just keep the AGS but you will have to wait and see. Unfortunately it will not be very soon as I may have to have back surgery in the near future. My initial appt with the neuro surgeon is not till Sept 10th. Way too long considering I made the appt a week ago and I am mostly laid up in bed. 

DragsNDragy.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well my back has been better the past 2 days so I decided to take the Edge out to get a better baseline run. I got the transmisson TSB done on Thursday. It shifts a little better but not how I think it should.

2019 Ford Edge ST 13k miles, stock untouched, 91 octane fuel and VP Racing octane booster with a little over half a tank. In Sport Mode and Traction Control off. I am now 245lbs.

Albuquerque Dragstrip - Albuquerque, NM. - Altitude 5300'. DA last night was 7500'. Temperature 80'. 

Runs with 20 minute cool downs with hood up. Only ran 3 runs as we had several oil downs and one wreck. It ended with us running in one lane. 

First run was a 14.44ET@94.48mph

Lousy 60ft. time of 2.15

Now we see something going on. 

Next run I did not fair well with a 14.52ET @93.89 

and another lousy 2.15 60ft. 

Both these runs were screwed up because after full stage they took forever to drop the lights and screwed me up on the launch. Being way too long on the brake boost. 

Last run was my best and but 60 ft. time again was wacked. 

14.37ET @95.13mph 

2.14 60ft

There is still more in it and if I can get the darn 60s down, I believe a 14.2x is there.

Interesting on this pass the Dragy was dead on with the track as far as ET and MPH pretty darn close.

DragsNDragy2.thumb.jpg.1e43fba91f89793a10ff4deb6a662933.jpg 

Edited by TT Steve

Thank you for the prompt response.  Another question please.  Do you ever use the paddles  (manual shifting) in the sport mode?  If so, can you achieve satisfactorily shifts through gears 1-8 with moderate acceleration?   Specifically, for 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shifts?  I get a buck from 2nd to 3rd and a delay and flare from 3rd to 4th.   I don't know if all the 2019 thru 2021 ST's exhibit the same behavior,  but considering the transmission gear ratios they probably should.  Ford is not willing to address the issue.  Instead, I have heard that for the 2022 STs that Ford eliminated  either 2nd or 3rd gear through software and marketed the car as a 7-speed.  I also read where Ford has no intention of performing the software fix on the 2019 thru 2021 cars, because they feel that the type of customers who bought those cars are satisfied with the messed up transmission and never use the paddles. 

Edited by BillE

19 minutes ago, TT Steve said:

I need to see if the paddles are worth using now. Before it was pointless as it would shift when it wanted to no matter where I shift. Like a 300-400rpm lag. Seems more of a toy gadget to bring out the testosterone of middle to old age men. Maybe it works now but I doubt it.

This senior citizen finds them to be pretty much useless.

• 2 months later...

Ran today at the strip as this was the last day of the year. Weather was nice and calm of course cooler temps which help. Now the only change to the Edge was a K&N panel filter and the runs were with an E30 tune.

Albuquerque Dragstrip - Albuquerque, NM. - Altitude 5300'. DA  6700'. Temperature 68'. 

Traction control off and in Sport Mode

1/2 tank of fuel

13.86ET @99.43mph w/2.06 60ft. time.

A lot of the performance gains is from the filter and cool weather. I am not impressed by the tuner so going to go with someone else. The next tuner will get to enjoy tuning with all the parts I am installing finally but for next year. I will do plenty of Dragy tests though to get it right. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a year since updated this. But here we are. Made some changes to the ST.

2019 Ford Edge ST 2.7L TT

5300'+ altitude w/6000' DA

5Star Racing E50 Tune Rev. 3 

Ultimate Performance Intercooler

AFE 2.5" Cat-back exhaust

AFE Intake w/Dry filters (used kit)

Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram-Air

CPE Lower Engine Mount

Sport Mode and traction control off

Stock 21" wheels/tires and stock suspension

No weight removal at all

1/2 tank full of fuel

13.36ET @ 103.54mph w/ 1.98 60ft.

This is launching in 2nd gear using paddles w/immediate shift to 3rd then 4th soon after.

13.43ET @ 102.89 w/ 2.03 60ft.

Launching normal in 1st gear without paddles

I am currently working on a custom airbox/ram-air to replace the AFE. Also cold side pipes as well. To be honest, the K&N panel filter is probably as good as the AFE. My times were almost exact. I am also working on DPs as well but will remain catted. Only draw back is this might cause me to go with upgraded turbos "since I'm there".........ugh!

IMG_0026.jpg