vehicle shifted out of drive and into reverse while traveling 50mph

wade001

hey all, i have a weird one.. has anyone ever heard of this, or had experience with this?

yesterday, after work, i was driving home. traveling down the road at about 45-50 mph, and i feel a light thump in the pedal and i see a message flash on the dash board screen. but as soon as it popped up it went away so i didnt see exactly what it was. then a couple seconds later it happens again, and i notice that the gear shift light on "D" goes out and "R" lights up briefly, then i see the "rear park aid on/off" box pop up on the dash board screen. keep in mind im traveling down the road at approximately 45-50mph at this time (forwards). this repeated itself 4 times within 15 seconds or so, then everything seems fine. i pulled off into a parking lot, turned the vehicle off, then back on. i revved it a little, no weird noises, backed up in the parking lot, went forward, put it in "sport" mode, did a couple hard accelerations, no slipping or anything.. almost like it never happened.

so, my question, has anyone ever had this happen, heard of it happening? possible just some gremlins somewhere? maybe a gear selection solenoid/switch going out? etc?

vehicle specs in sig below, thanks!

Hi, it's a 2015, sel, awd. It has 49.6k miles I've put 600 of those miles on it.

When I bought it, a new battery was installed. But I have not verified that it was the proper size. I just assumed the selling dealer did their homework and put in the proper size.

So on that note, I will verify the battery later this evening when I get home from work.

Thanks for your input.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, wade001 said:

Hi, it's a 2015, sel, awd. It has 49.6k miles I've put 600 of those miles on it.

When I bought it, a new battery was installed. But I have not verified that it was the proper size. I just assumed the selling dealer did their homework and put in the proper size.

So on that note, I will verify the battery later this evening when I get home from work.

Thanks for your input.

would definitely check codes as enigma said, the shifter switch is known to go bad, but it could be a range sensor issue as well.  parts store scanners should pull up any powertrain codes, but best to equip yourself for the long run with an OBD II adapter and Forscan Lite and/or Torque Pro software.

• 1 year later...