User Device "USB2" - along with "USB" - recognized by Sync

So.. following an interesting thread over on SMR website (not all threads are worthy to chat about here) but I found it interesting that someone stumbled across that when you say "USB2" Sync will recognize it but tell you it is not available. You will not see it in your Options with BT, In Line or USB.. but it is recognized by vice command for sure. Sure enough I tried it and it recognized it as a voice command.. but not USB3 or USB4 just USB and USB2.

Not only that, it seems that - at least on the Focus - there seems to be another port input on the Sync box that can take a USB cable (its actually behind the passenger plate thing that says focus on it). I would be curious to see if I can find it on the Edge and see if we can tap into that USB2... just cause it's there

• 2 months later...

Found out that there is a confirmed 2nd USB port on the 2009 Flex, you just need to plug a cable into it and then your device.. so anyone heard/read/found elsewhere where this hidden port is on the Edge?

Or, does anyone know where the APIM (accessory protocol interface module) box is located? as I believe that is where the 2nd port is located. I think it is in the center console someplace and only yon cars with Sync.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Found out that there is a confirmed 2nd USB port on the 2009 Flex, you just need to plug a cable into it and then your device.. so anyone heard/read/found elsewhere where this hidden port is on the Edge?

Or, does anyone know where the APIM (accessory protocol interface module) box is located? as I believe that is where the 2nd port is located. I think it is in the center console someplace and only yon cars with Sync.

I know that the Sync module is on the back of the center concole ( access from back set) the cover just snaps on just pull from the bottom up.

Edited by Dymes

I know that the Sync module is on the back of the center concole ( access from back seat) the cover just snaps on just pull from the bottom up.

really?

hmm.. I was just back there doing my cool center console LED light mod but do not recall seeing it.. I will have to look again as it is a piece of cake to remove that back panel of the center console.

really?

hmm.. I was just back there doing my cool center console LED light mod but do not recall seeing it.. I will have to look again as it is a piece of cake to remove that back panel of the center console.

I assume you're "SoCal Edge" on the SMR forums. Here's a photo to show that USB2 does in fact work (if my attachment works). As you can see, it is playing one of my favorite podcasts via USB2. I added this to my Flex today. I previously had the same cable on my last vehicle, which got left at the dealer last week when I picked up my Flex.

post-5817-1234855651_thumb.jpg

EDIT: The Sync module (APIM) on every vehicle has a spot for a second USB port. Once you plug something in, it will work. You just have to find the Sync module and the right USB cable/adapters. I used an extra cable and got a $4 adapter. Voila, 2nd port. Very low effort with a high return.

Edited by andermanstl

I assume you're "SoCal Edge" on the SMR forums. Here's a photo to show that USB2 does in fact work (if my attachment works). As you can see, it is playing one of my favorite podcasts via USB2. I added this to my Flex today. I previously had the same cable on my last vehicle, which got left at the dealer last week when I picked up my Flex.

post-5817-1234855651_thumb.jpg

EDIT: The Sync module (APIM) on every vehicle has a spot for a second USB port. Once you plug something in, it will work. You just have to find the Sync module and the right USB cable/adapters. I used an extra cable and got a $4 adapter. Voila, 2nd port. Very low effort with a high return.

Oh, here's a pic of USB2 working on my Taurus X. FYI- I've had this working since September, but never thought to post anything about it anywhere.

post-5817-1234857368_thumb.jpg

yes, I believed it could work from what I read over at SMR.. the big question is/was where is the module? so, I will look today to see if I can find it in the Edge in the center console and see what I have for cables.

NOTE: found the Sync APIM module and it is in fact at the back of the rear console. I just did not notice it when I was working in that area before. there are 2 USB ports (of that smaller type MINI B port it looks to me) clearly the spare is used by the factory or dealer to work on the Sync APIM module and not really meant for us to do this... but I am going to do it anyway.

As for cables, I just eBay'd a 6 foot USB 2.0 A to Mini-B Cable + a USB Female to female Gender Changer Adapter - this should allow one to plug the 6 foot mini b cable into the Sync module, run that to wherever, attach the F2F adaptor onto that cable male end so that you can then hook the needed USB cable for your iPod (about 3 ft) and that would give me about 9 ft or enough to run to the glove box.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Here you go... here is the APIM Sync box with the "User Device" USB2 and USB (stock) ports labeled. located in center console at the back at floor level accessed from passenger seat by panel removal. I got a 6 ft USB Mini B cable and that is perfect length to run cable down drivers side of center console and up into the glove box hidden under center console trim. Mini B fit snug and perfect. I will then add a F2F adaptor at other end so I can use my stock iPod USB cable and have a second USB2 "User Device" for a passenger if they bring an iPod along. $7 mod in cables/adaptors. Plan to come up with some trick way to bring it into the glove box, maybe a flush mount at the bottom or side of the glove box like I did my custom glove box LED light and kind of like what is already in our center console.

post-2453-1234993483_thumb.jpg post-2453-1234993491_thumb.jpg

Here you go... here is the APIM Sync box with the "User Device" USB2 and USB (stock) ports labeled. located in center console at the back at floor level accessed from passenger seat by panel removal. I got a 6 ft USB Mini B cable and that is perfect length to run cable down drivers side of center console and up into the glove box hidden under center console trim. Mini B fit snug and perfect. I will then add a F2F adaptor at other end so I can use my stock iPod USB cable and have a second USB2 "User Device" for a passenger if they bring an iPod along. $7 mod in cables/adaptors. Plan to come up with some trick way to bring it into the glove box, maybe a flush mount at the bottom or side of the glove box like I did my custom glove box LED light and kind of like what is already in our center console.

post-2453-1234993483_thumb.jpg post-2453-1234993491_thumb.jpg

Glad it works saw the module on a scrape center console a work but didn't notice the port, going to add it in beside cig' lighter on dash!!

NOTE: found the Sync APIM module and it is in fact at the back of the rear console. I just did not notice it when I was working in that area before. there are 2 USB ports (of that smaller type MINI B port it looks to me) clearly the spare is used by the factory or dealer to work on the Sync APIM module and not really meant for us to do this... but I am going to do it anyway.

I don't think that the open USB port is used at all, either by the factory or anyone else. When the dealer has to update the module, they do so through the same USB port you use. I'd bet the modules come to the factory pre-programmed. I'd suspect the open port is there for future expandability. Which kind of worries me when I realize that without a properly latching connector (like the factory one in the primary port), there's a good possibility that the cable and connector are vibration/shaking/moving as I drive down the road. That can't be good for the circuit board...

without a properly latching connector (like the factory one in the primary port), there's a good possibility that the cable and connector are vibration/shaking/moving as I drive down the road. That can't be good for the circuit board...

I am not worried 1 bit. (1) the connection is pretty darn surprisingly snug when you slide the USB home (2) if you look at the photo, the cable takes a pretty quick turn out of the unit and touches the floor which in itself pushes up on the cable to keep it pushed in and (3) I zip tied the new cable to the old so it cannot move... take all these together and that thing is solid.

so here is the scoop... not exactly as hoped, but still useful and for only about $7 in cables, worth it.

In my system with a nav screen, when I hook up both USB and USB2, USB2 is recognized if BUT.. it seems that they both cannot be indexed at the same time. That is, both cannot be plugged in and you switch back and forth between USB and USB2 unless you remove (unplug) one. So, that means, if I am using USB and my chick gets in the car and plugs in hers into USB2, it is recognized but will not "initialize" or "index". You can see in and select it, but no joy in playing it. If you take USB out (just unplug) USB2 will come on automatically & start up. Connect USB back in, no joy. Undo USB2 and then USB comes on automatically. So, you can still get the effect, and both can be hooked up, but only one can play unless you unhook another. So, if you get one playing and hook the other in, as I said, it will be noticed but not playable, but nor will it stop the other from functioning.

make sense?

Strange. In both the current Flex I am driving and my previous Taurus X, I could have a flash drive (or Creative Zen MP3 player) connected to USB and another device to USB2 simultaneously and switch between them at will and both function perfectly fine. Is your Sync system at the latest software level per SMR.com? My Taurus X was at 1.2 and the Flex is v2.0.

Thought I would finish this off with some photos of the cable install I did in the glove box. Pretty nice, huh? Looks professional. I found a spare rubber plug from who knows what, drilled a hole in it and then dremeled a long oval hole at the top of the glove box where that little ledge is and ran the iPod USB cable through that. As you can see, looks pretty clean and like it came from the factory this way. I can place an ipod on that ledge or pull enough cable to set it down in the glove box if I want.

post-2453-1235870440_thumb.png

post-2453-1235870449_thumb.png

(yes, that is a custom 1-of-a-kind mod LED light in the glove box)

• 4 months later...
Thought I would finish this off with some photos of the cable install I did in the glove box. Pretty nice, huh? Looks professional. I found a spare rubber plug from who knows what, drilled a hole in it and then dremeled a long oval hole at the top of the glove box where that little ledge is and ran the iPod USB cable through that. As you can see, looks pretty clean and like it came from the factory this way. I can place an ipod on that ledge or pull enough cable to set it down in the glove box if I want.

post-2453-1235870440_thumb.png

post-2453-1235870449_thumb.png

(yes, that is a custom 1-of-a-kind mod LED light in the glove box)

Man, if you were'nt on the other coast from me I'd pay you to mod my edge!!

Question,. upon tapping into the USB2-does it lock out the ability to switch to line-in on the 09 navigation system. That is what happens on the USB (1) in the 09 with sony nav head unit. You have to unplug the line-in to use the USB and vice-versa. Would be nice if you did'nt have to and if that is the case with USB2,. I will definitely go through the trouble to tap into it.

Man, if you were'nt on the other coast from me I'd pay you to mod my edge!!

Question,. upon tapping into the USB2-does it lock out the ability to switch to line-in on the 09 navigation system. That is what happens on the USB (1) in the 09 with sony nav head unit. You have to unplug the line-in to use the USB and vice-versa. Would be nice if you did'nt have to and if that is the case with USB2,. I will definitely go through the trouble to tap into it.

hey hey

so, I am not sure about the 09.. not even sure if the 09 still has this USB2 plug accessible or if they changed it in some way? did you look to see if it was there? I would think it would be the same, but not 100% sure. Really, tapping into it is so quick and easy, seconds, it is worth testing and posting up what happens with the 09.

Anyway, I do not recall not being able to go to line-in. It was always still a choice. So was the BT connection. neither were disabled by adding in the 2nd USB hook up. I will confirm that sometime this weekend. I had both USB hooked up on a recent 3k road trip (2 different iPods) and though I do not ever use Line In or BT connection, I am pretty sure they are still both options to select from.

hey hey

so, I am not sure about the 09.. not even sure if the 09 still has this USB2 plug accessible or if they changed it in some way? did you look to see if it was there? I would think it would be the same, but not 100% sure. Really, tapping into it is so quick and easy, seconds, it is worth testing and posting up what happens with the 09.

Anyway, I do not recall not being able to go to line-in. It was always still a choice. So was the BT connection. neither were disabled by adding in the 2nd USB hook up. I will confirm that sometime this weekend. I had both USB hooked up on a recent 3k road trip (2 different iPods) and though I do not ever use Line In or BT connection, I am pretty sure they are still both options to select from.

COOL- thanks for response. I will post and let you all know what happens on my 09 with nav as soon as I have an opportunity to open it up.

Happy 4th !

hey hey

To second what Lex said I have a 08 nav limited, I've had BT connected as a mp3 player plus usb stick on 1 an 2 an my headrest DVD player connected to line in had no problem switching from one to the other.That's odd that you would have trouble switching from one to the other.I talk to guys at work, has been tested but said there wasn't any real changes to sync set-up for 09.

To second what Lex said I have a 08 nav limited, I've had BT connected as a mp3 player plus usb stick on 1 an 2 an my headrest DVD player connected to line in had no problem switching from one to the other.That's odd that you would have trouble switching from one to the other.I talk to guys at work, has been tested but said there wasn't any real changes to sync set-up for 09.

wow... your using all possible inputs.. 2 USB items, 1 BT item, and the available Line In all at once.. I find I never use the BT as I do not keep music on my phone, Line In - well, that is to lo-fi :) & no charging or control with it as all I have are ipods

wow... your using all possible inputs.. 2 USB items, 1 BT item, and the available Line In all at once.. I find I never use the BT as I do not keep music on my phone, Line In - well, that is to lo-fi :) & no charging or control with it as all I have are ipods

Well my wife has her music on usb stick an my kids have usb 2 an well that where my phone come in.I keep a play list on it so BT serve 2 uses at the same time hands free an music !!!LOL

• 1 month later...

OK, things are so busy I finally got chance to do this,. and I was waiting for a gender adapter (female - female ) for usb cble to arrive.,.,, Is working beautifully BUT,. I still have thie issue of not being able to switch between sources on the sony nav head unit. Now that I hooked up the USB 2 it does allow me to do 2 sources at a time and switch between them,. but not the total 3. IS this not wierd?!? I am wondering if my sync needs to be updated or reflashed. any thoughts?

well, this is not a Ford sponsored type mod. So, software updates should not make this work any different or better - as it was never meant to be done in the fist place - so a Ford update would not try to improve something that was not meant to be done. That being said, I would still update to the latest 2.0 for its other benefits.

anyway, it seems there is no way this is "suppose" to work technically speaking. what is the 3rd source you cannot use? line-in? it reads confusing as you say 3 sources but never say what the 3rd is you cannot get to... and you say "I still have thie issue of not being able to switch between sources" but then say " hooked up the USB 2 it does allow me to do 2 sources at a time and switch between them"