90,000 Mile Maintenance

jsendrey

My wife has a 2011 Edge Sport that's about to turn 90,000 miles.  Everything runs great but we want to do some preventative maintenance on this vehicle.  I am curious what these vehicles need or is highly recommended?  We have owned the car since new and haven't really done anything beyond oil changes, brakes and filters.

Whats your thoughts on?

• Transmission service
  • Coolant flush
  • Belts- They look good still
  • Hoses
  • Spark plugs

We are bringing the car into dealer next week for brake booster and TPMS sensor replacement and wanted to knock out a few other items if needed.  If we can wait a little longer then this would be great also, but we would like to start planning for upcoming items that should be done.  Thanks for your help.  

Manufacturer recommended change interval for the 2011 is 100k, but it can be done earlier. 

If you're considering doing the 100k at 90k, then definitely spark plugs, followed by transmission and coolant. (If you haven't already changed over coolant to new type, then definitely have it done.) Full inspection on hoses and belts.

Probably the engine air filter as well.

Not as critical but I changed brake and pwr steering fluids as well. (All fluids go bad over time.)

Good time to check tire pressure on spare. (Usually overlooked and spare looses air just like any other tire. I checked mine couple of years ago and it was flat. Turned out the valve cracked and needed changing. Would have turned out to be a tow if I had a flat tire.)

If your Edge is AWD, then change fluid in the PTU. (Very important, but not all dealers do this as its not part of Ford's recommended service. Dealers can pump out old fluid using same equipment they use for rear axle). 

One item often overlooked is the cabin air filter. This is a simple item for the owner to change (and often forgot about). If the shop does it, its usually a high markup item. 

The seat filters on the 11 are just screens and usually don't need checking, but doesn't hurt to pull them and check for dust bunnies or whatever. 

• Like 2