Replacement for the 8" sub

Kind of wondering if there are any good plug and play replacements for the factory sub in my 2017 edge sport. Found a thread from 2017ish, but the Kicker they mentioned was discontinued then. Went to Crutchfield and they showed some options, but wasn't sure they'd be plug and play. Anyone done an 8" swap, or have ideas?

D171CAAD-BF28-4E21-A259-A1A1865369C6.jpeg

18E981BC-B5DC-4E98-85BA-FED603FE2517.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'll be upgrading my 2019 Bang & Olufsen sub in the near future.

Wanted to check out what was in there currently. 

It's a dual voice coil.  Measure 4 ohms.

The mounting depth is very shallow 3 1/2"

This box looks to be easier to modify for a slightly deeper sub than the 15-18 Sony enclosure with the molded nub behind the sub.

Here's a photo of the 15-18 Sony enclosure

sony-sub.jpg

Here's the 19-22 B&O enclosure. (picture rotated on me)

817efdd7ede24202aaf1de15b111973e.jpeg

The reinforcement webbing could be sanded down for a deeper sub (probably get a 1/4" and a then quite a few more subwoofer choices.)

01ddfc12cf17445a8d3a0325c1a15385.jpeg

Dual voice coil, 4 ohms each

d5b2e153bb4040f0b6ee5ebcd496c9b0.jpeg

The subs above will work, in the 4 ohm version.

Kicker 48CWRT84

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20648CT84/Kicker-48CWRT84.html?tp=111

Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD48/Rockford-Fosgate-P3SD4-8.html?tp=111

MB Quart DS1-204

https://www.amazon.com/MB-Quart-DS1-204-400-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B010X424Q0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2BGSS0ETWYEHI&keywords=DS1-204&qid=1658697712&sprefix=ds1-204%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-1&th=1

Edited by chipdog4

3 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Aren't the OE subs 2 ohms? 

The 2015-2018 Sony subwoofers probably were, but everything I could find for the newer B&O subs in other Fords said they were 4 ohms.  So I measured mine to make sure.

And I went ahead and bought one of the MB Quart subs.  Not sure when I'll get around to installing it.

Edited by chipdog4

• 5 months later...

I removed the factory sub and installed the MB Quart 8".  Not a huge difference in sound. 

I can feel the bass a little more and there's no distortion at any volume.

Was it worth the $60 and the time to install it?  Possibly

I was in a rush and didn't take any pictures.  I did shove a couple handfuls of polyfill in the enclosure before sealing up the sub.

From this thread,

" Coil #1 Purple/Blue is Positive, Yellow/Blue is Negative.

Coil #2 Yellow/Purple is Positive, Green/Blue is Negative. "

I had Yellow and Purple on one coil and Green and Black on the other coil (all solid colors, no stripes).  Black and (IIRC) purple were negative, yellow and green were positve.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, chipdog4 said:

I removed the factory sub and installed the MB Quart 8".  Not a huge difference in sound. 

I can feel the bass a little more and there's no distortion at any volume.

Was it worth the $60 and the time to install it?  Possibly

The 2-ohm coil will deliver high sound output (2 ohm draws more current than 4-ohms), but may distort at high volume (depending on quality). The one in my 09 MKX with THX doesn't distort). A 4-ohm speaker isn't as loud (after all it draws 1/2 the current as a 2-ohm) but it also won't distort at high volumes. A lot has to do with the design of the amp. Usually if the amp and speaker are designed as a matching pair there shouldn't be any problems. 

As the speakers are rated in impedance and not resistance, you can't measure it by ohming it with a VOM. 

• 1 month later...

I need to pull mine out and measure the enclosure volume. this will determine what subwoofers can be swapped in successfully. 

I'll probably sweep the stock woofer since I'm in there and have the gear to do it

it looks like the JL Stealthbox takes advantage of a bit more area and might have more volume. I'd really like a 10" back there if possible. 

I'll post my results here. 

so, added about 10lbs of mass with some killmat to the exterior

covered the outer rear with closed cell foam so it compressed to the body when bolted in

added some stuffing. bass now set to 0 for my taste [was at +3]

it's pretty good now. the enclosure doesn't resonate and that's a good thing. all that energy is now bass output

here is the impedance sweep and T/S measurements of the driver in enclosure, sorry i didn't have the stuff to measure the enclosure volume

https://imgur.com/a/K2ZOkvE

EdgeBOsubTSparam2022inbox.jpg

Edited by Edge_u_Cational