2017 Edge Sport entering Limp Mode while driving?

Tmaf901

Hello,

First and foremost, I am unsure if I am posting in the correct topic.

I just purchased a 2017 Ford Edge Sport about 2 months ago with 36,500 miles on it. It now has 38,000 now.

I have noticed that SOMETIMES, when going at slow speeds 15-30 MPH, the transmission will do a rough upshift where you can feel and hear it click into the next gear. It only happens occasionally but that is the only problem I noticed until today.

Today, as I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a 2 lane 45 mile per hour zone. I didn't gun it or anything, I got up to 30 miles an hr, and switched lanes into one with oncoming traffic so I needed to hit the gas a little harder to merge in time. I never really went above 4000 RPM, but upon doing that and once I got into that lane it was as if I wasn't pressing the gas anymore. I didn't really hear anything loud, it just felt as if you were jolted forward because your car stopped accelerating. I got over to the right hand shoulder and noticed I had warning on my dash. I believe more than one. I am aware one of them was “service advance trac” however I shut my car off right after getting it into park (I should have looked at the lights more closely). When turning it back on, there was no lights, and everything has worked fine since…. Its only been about 12 hrs since, and I have driven it about 10 miles, but I wanted to get any insight you guys have.

I plugged in my own OBD scanner and couldn't see any codes. Will be taking it to the dealer to see if theres any advanced codes that they can see that I cannot see with my scanner.

My thoughts are:

* Misfire, causing engine limp mode which may caused advance trac to trigger an error because of the quick deceleration.

* AWD malfunction (my car stays in AWD until I am at cruising speeds)

* Transmission malfunction…

Edited by Tmaf901

should be posting in the Gen 2 section ...

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/forum/81-2015-edge-mkx-generation-ii/

or https://www.fordedgeforum.com/forum/73-27l-ecoboost/

well, traction/torque management can do all kinds of odd things.  you can get the light if you are turning and accelerate hard, for instance. so not necessarily anything out of the ordinary.

worn tires or tires that are TOO sticky can also cause weird phenomena.

what obd scanner are you using? you should get something like an OBDLink+ or BlueDriver to monitor your vehicle on a regular basis.

do you experience any bumps, or vibration in the cabin, or hear whining/grinding sounds?

i would try first resetting the KAM / PCM by pulling the neg batt cable for 40+ minutes - a "hard" reset just like on computers and smart devices.  I don't really trust the software based KAM resets as they are in some form or manner incomplete.  After you do the reset, it will take some time for the PCM to learn your driving style, and usually will be hard shifting during this period.

I would also look into changing ALL fluids in your vehicle, a recommended procedure whenever you buy used, to set a baseline.  Ford vehicles LOVE fresh fluids :)  check the color and condition of the transmission fluid in particular. check AWD fluids - PTU/RDU. PTUs do still fail, despite cooling and increased fluid capacity. this platform is supposed to stay in FWD most of the time, but under hard acceleration, would engage the AWD system, and generally, not for long, unless traction is continuously a problem.

you may also want to inspect the tone rings on the axles for cracks.  have not seen any cases really of failure on this part on 2015+ MYs, but you never know. no issues with the throttle body either.  may be battery issues, but i don't see that with your Sport's symptoms ... yet.

resources for your Sport, including TSBs, recalls, etc

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/1Kv_Hsy6bOToW-NiO3ME9mY5TRvoHYKlS

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

should be posting in the Gen 2 section ...

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/forum/81-2015-edge-mkx-generation-ii/

or https://www.fordedgeforum.com/forum/73-27l-ecoboost/

well, traction/torque management can do all kinds of odd things.  you can get the light if you are turning and accelerate hard, for instance. so not necessarily anything out of the ordinary.

worn tires or tires that are TOO sticky can also cause weird phenomena.

what obd scanner are you using? you should get something like an OBDLink+ or BlueDriver to monitor your vehicle on a regular basis.

do you experience any bumps, or vibration in the cabin, or hear whining/grinding sounds?

i would try first resetting the KAM / PCM by pulling the neg batt cable for 40+ minutes - a "hard" reset just like on computers and smart devices.  I don't really trust the software based KAM resets as they are in some form or manner incomplete.  After you do the reset, it will take some time for the PCM to learn your driving style, and usually will be hard shifting during this period.

I would also look into changing ALL fluids in your vehicle, a recommended procedure whenever you buy used, to set a baseline.  Ford vehicles LOVE fresh fluids :)  check the color and condition of the transmission fluid in particular. check AWD fluids - PTU/RDU. PTUs do still fail, despite cooling and increased fluid capacity. this platform is supposed to stay in FWD most of the time, but under hard acceleration, would engage the AWD system, and generally, not for long, unless traction is continuously a problem.

you may also want to inspect the tone rings on the axles for cracks.  have not seen any cases really of failure on this part on 2015+ MYs, but you never know. no issues with the throttle body either.  may be battery issues, but i don't see that with your Sport's symptoms ... yet.

resources for your Sport, including TSBs, recalls, etc

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/1Kv_Hsy6bOToW-NiO3ME9mY5TRvoHYKlS

I very much appreciate your reply :). 

I go to the dealer in 3 weeks (all local fords are busy..) to get an oil change. Im going to suggest to check fluids and give me a suggestion for ones to change.

I am using ELM 327 module with OBD Fusion app to check codes.

Tires are Pirelle Scorpion STR All Seasons with plenty of tread.

No bumps/vibrations, or really anything out of the ordinary. It generally drives great except for that one moment (and the few times of the rough upshift, but that hasn't happened in like 1-2 weeks at least).

One thing you did mention was how its supposed to stay in FWD most of the time, however I have always noticed that taking off from any spot, or until I reach at least 25-30MPH, the car stays in an AWD mode (this is displayed on the little dash module when I am in that display setting). The car only exits AWD at cruising speeds.

edit: since the original post my cars been just fine… so I am starting to feel as if maybe the car “slipped” even though it was completely dry and sunny, which caused some weird thing to happen in traction control.

edit: if a mod/admin can move my topic to the correct place that would be great :)

Edited by Tmaf901

• 1 month later...

Now this is just a guess and perhaps you have floored your new car in the past and it  ran great  . If so then please disregard this as your wastegate is most likely fine.

I have read that if the 2.7EB is driven so easy that the turbos  wastegate never opens over a long period of time, it can become stuck closed. There by creating an overboost condition when giving it gas accelerating hard, not even WOT. As soon as overboost is detected the car goes into limp mode. If the prior owner drove super conservative they would never have known the wastegate was stuck. It took a different driver that uses the car’s power to discover the problem. A stuck wastegate will also give uneven boost and that might have something to with your transmission shift. As I said just a guess, I hopefully you will get this sorted and you can enjoy your new car to its fullest  potential. 

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

Now this is just a guess and perhaps you have floored your new car in the past and it  ran great  . If so then please disregard this as your wastegate is most likely fine.

I have read that if the 2.7EB is driven so easy that the turbos  wastegate never opens over a long period of time, it can become stuck closed. There by creating an overboost condition when giving it gas accelerating hard, not even WOT. As soon as overboost is detected the car goes into limp mode. If the prior owner drove super conservative they would never have known the wastegate was stuck. It took a different driver that uses the car’s power to discover the problem. A stuck wastegate will also give uneven boost and that might have something to with your transmission shift. As I said just a guess, I hopefully you will get this sorted and you can enjoy your new car to its fullest  potential. 

Very well thought of explanation, I have definitely gunned it more than I should've a few times since owning the car. This problem hasn't occurred since. Im afraid this is only one of too many possible causes lol. Weird transmission upshifts (2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th idk) still happens occasionally mostly when I am costing/making a turn into a parking lot, but not as frequently I have noticed.

Being colder up here in NY I would assume thats why I haven't noticed as many.

I have noticed that my transmission shifts hard when it is cold. After several miles it warms up and shifts smoothly. I just drive easy until everything is fully warmed up.  It probity would not hurt to do a tranny and a PTU service.  I doubt it has ever been done and at 40k it is enough milage to get that done. I think it is 30 to 60 k recommended, but you are having trouble, so it would be a good idea to check that out. 

• 6 months later...

This is my main post about my issue I have been having, its happened two times since I have owned the vehicle. First occurrence was 1-2 months after owning, the second was 1-2 months after the first incident.

Since the dealer couldn't give me a good explanation I decided to switch to premium 93 fuel. Its been probably a good 7-8 months now without this issue.

Im not going to say gas was causing this issue of mine - but it seems to be the only thing I can link to having fixed it and wanted to update everybody.

Personally with the economy and everything I wouldn't be surprised if gas stations are skimping on 87 gas and it just so happens to be harming most vehicles (this is a conspiracy theory… but who really knows).

Edited by Tmaf901

On 6/21/2022 at 9:16 PM, Tmaf901 said:

This is my main post about my issue I have been having, its happened two times since I have owned the vehicle. First occurrence was 1-2 months after owning, the second was 1-2 months after the first incident.

Since the dealer couldn't give me a good explanation I decided to switch to premium 93 fuel. Its been probably a good 7-8 months now without this issue.

Im not going to say gas was causing this issue of mine - but it seems to be the only thing I can link to having fixed it and wanted to update everybody.

Personally with the economy and everything I wouldn't be surprised if gas stations are skimping on 87 gas and it just so happens to be harming most vehicles (this is a conspiracy theory… but who really knows).

Unfortunately by posting here I have manifested the problem back into existence.

I had a long drive today (80 miles or so), its damp since it rained last night, humid as well as condensation built on my windshield while driving (the climate wasn't on at the time). About 5-10 miles into my drive this issue happened again for the third time since owning my car. I went to pass a vehicle as I was already in a time crunch and as I was switching over the lane to pass the acceleration stopped. All the warnings came on like last time. A warning I noticed this time was about engine coolant temp.

In the past I only seen advance trac, BLIS system and many other warnings but I never toggled through them. I always thought this problem was transmission or AWD malfunction until now. Engine coolant temp wouldn't really have anything to do with transmission/awd system would it?

At this point I feel its the main computer board causing this issue. Like it errors out, and doesn't know what to do. Everything tries to go back to their neutral position, hence why the transmission shifts so hard as I am slowing down. It tries its best to get back to a neutral or gear 1 on its own. Thats why I loose acceleration, as the throttle body goes back to whatever position it would be in if it wasn't being used.

I didnt catch a video, the last two occurrences the one happened on a highway in a bad spot where I couldn't pull over, and today I was already late to my appointment.

Let me know your thoughts :).

Edit: would it make sense that the ECM (or whatever the main computer of the car is) is where your trouble codes are stored, and since my whole dash lights up which includes a check engine light but after restarting theres no explanation, nothing logged. Maybe that means the ECM is really failing - because when its in its errored state its not able to store information. Its all sorts of confused.

Edited by Tmaf901