Can’t Start my 2016 Titanium

oskar27

Once or twice per year I wash/wax my Edge inside my garage, first I wash it and let it dry overnight with all doors open (the interior lights go out automatically after about 6 min) and the following day I wax. I do this since I got the car and never had a problem before except now.

I went today to start and noticed the messages in the dash were different than it used to be but I didn’t pay attentions because from before I knew I just press the brake pedal and then the start button and of she goes. But it didn’t start, I could hear some kind of a noise but it was not the engine turning neither the starter humming, more like it sounded like a wining of something electrical. After a few tries now I get/hear nothing, completely dead.

I only have 39K kilometers (mostly highway) and never had any problem before. Looking in the manual it says on page 152 to insert the intelligent key into the backup slot (inside the floor console storage) but I don’t see any slot to insert the key (I only have in this console a 12V socket). One of the messages I noticed in the dash it was saying “press to start or insert the key in the console” but pressing to start didn’t do anything so I thought it may need the key in that slot which I don’t have it. So what's the purpose of this key if I don't have this slot?

I called the dealer and he said since my battery is almost 5 years old perhaps the battery has no more juice and he suggested to boost the battery and give it a try.

I have 2 sets of intelligent access keys, one I never used and the other I change the batteries last January. Neither does anything now, the car is completely dead.

Any ideas what may have happened?

BTW forgot to mention that on Dec-02 I had an appointment at the dealer for oil change etc. and at the same time these guys produce a check list, which I get a copy, stating all the fluids level etc including the battery and in that list the battery is marked 85% good but on the cranking amps there is no indication what I have

If you're still on the original "car" battery, then that's it. Even if the dealer check up stated it was "ok". 6 years is very long nowadays. Also I'm probably sure the dealer meant the car's battery, not the key fob.

As for the backup slot, it is inside the floor console storage at the very bottom in the cavity towards the front of the car. It is simply a "tray" that matches the size of the fob. You drop/put your key fob in it.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

Much appreciated omar

Finally I got where the backup slot is, actually I was looking for a slot but it is as you mentioned a tray. So this is set (had to see a YouTube to understand it)

I agree with the batteries, first I will get 2 new cells for the keyfob and if that’s not the problem I will get a new battery. (not an OEM but from a reputable local chain and as far as I know very few buy OEM batteries) Luckily the store is not that far  so I should be able to do both quite fast.

Thanks

As mentioned in my first post the interior lights go off in about 6 minutes to prevent the battery loosing juice + I had done this many times before with no problems. This time it was different because I guess the battery got too old.

In any case I installed a new battery + replaced the batteries in the keyfob and following that the car started with the first crank.

Since I like to keep the doors open after washing the car in the winter inside my garage. I may install a gadget I had installed years ago in a Passat I had. The mechanic installed this heavy duty switch under the hood and flipping the switch the battery was disconnected.

5 hours ago, oskar27 said:

Since I like to keep the doors open after washing the car in the winter inside my garage. I may install a gadget I had installed years ago in a Passat I had. The mechanic installed this heavy duty switch under the hood and flipping the switch the battery was disconnected.

You can also install LEDs for the interior lighting, so even during those ~6 minutes until the battery saver kicks in, the electric draw is very minimal.

• Like 1

The 2016 Edge Titanium FWD includes LED interior lights, or perhaps it was included among the options I took. I must add that besides the power savings the LED provide, they also are much more bright.

One item I want to mention is that about 2 weeks before my car went dead I had taken her for oil change/filter service and besides that work the dealer also did:

Recall 20S42 Break Hose (replace both front brake hose and bleed as per manufacturer). No charge for this work

Also they had a recommended special which I took: (I have 39500 kilometers)

Motor and Injectors Maintenance (interior motor cleaning “MOA” plus Injectors maintenance and cleaning. I don’t know what the “MOA” means perhaps is a local dealer code.  

I wonder if the above work had anything to do with my battery going dead.

37 minutes ago, oskar27 said:

The 2016 Edge Titanium FWD includes LED interior lights, or perhaps it was included among the options I took.

I wrote my reply above thinking you had a pre 2015 Edge. Your 2016 does have LED interior lights. Standard. You also have a button on the the upper console to turn off the interior lights when a door is open. Just use it then. Another option you have with a 2016 if you use ForScan is to enable the Silent Car (Police mode) in the cluster which would add a selection in the lighting settings to enable it. When enabled, all interior & exterior lights will turn off when the vehicle is off regardless of the doors or liftgate status.

• Like 1

You know pretty good stuff omar and you reminded me about how to turn off the interior lights when a door is open which I will use, thanks.

I didn’t know what FORScan is but searching I get an idea about it and I will investigate further after the holidays. Looks like it’s a pretty good tool which adds additional functionality to the existing menus, thanks again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 10:54 AM, oskar27 said:

Also they had a recommended special which I took: (I have 39500 kilometers) Motor and Injectors Maintenance (interior motor cleaning “MOAplus Injectors maintenance and cleaning. I don’t know what the “MOA” means perhaps is a local dealer code.  

MOA is an oil treatment that prevents engine oil degradation (extends oil changes).

Fuel injectors are recommended to be cleaned at 30k mile intervals, so you were not too bad off. (Most of the time if your using tier one gasoline, you can go longer). 

When cleaning the inside of your car and leaving the doors open, why not just open all the windows instead. Still get sufficient air exchange (think of moisture as a pressure). 

Most dealers only test batterys for voltage. Even weak batteries test 12.5 volts. But if the "capacity" is low, that 12 volts can drop to 9 volts in a few seconds. To be certain your battety is still good, you have to test the CCA reserve. A battery can start off at 650 CCA's, test good at 12.6 volts but only have a reserve of 200 CCA's. As soon as you start to crank, the reserve is used up and your doa.

• Like 1

I’m not aware of the MOA neither I noticed anything similar in the manual (which I never read completely) but since I service the car at the dealer I assumed (I had asked) that they do all maintenance as required.

I leave the doors open after a wash to dry the inside bottom of the doors. There is a lip at the bottom of each door on the inside which collects tons of dirt and after its dry I clean it with a nylon brush, wipe it clean and apply a coat of wax.

What is CCA? I installed a new battery about a month ago (the OEM battery went dead) and I got a digital charger but when I connect the charger it always starts at 50% (blinking light) then goes to 75% and stays there for about 1.5 hours and then goes to 100% blinks another hour and then it stays solid (battery charged). I find it strange that the charger starts at 50% although to my opinion the battery should be fully charged since I just came back yesterday from a 2 hours trip. Perhaps it’s a charger function to start at 50%?

On 1/3/2022 at 9:39 PM, oskar27 said:

What is CCA?

The CCA rating is the number of amps a battery can support for 30 seconds, when cranking a starter motor, at a temperature of 0°F until the battery voltage drops to unusable levels. It's regarded as a battery's "reserve capacity". The higher the rating, the better. When the CCA rating drops below 50%, the battery is regarded as needing replacment. It will still start the car at this level, but its wearing out at faster rate. The CCA rating is really an important factor in colder climates and much less important in warm/hot climates. (But it still has its value).

As to why your charger starts at 50%, it may be undergoing a desulfation cycle (or someother magic). Sounds like you bought a good one.

Haven't thought about drying the inside of the door jambs. Its great to drive in a car that looks and feels showroom.  I tried for the first few years, dealer still thinks I'm a fanatic, tells his staff I'm "very particular". (Needs to be detailed. The company I like to use is in another city.)  

I normally just run it through the local car wash. Ultimate cycle of course. Too old, too lazy to do it myself ?

Thanks for the education enigma-2, good to know.

Regarding the car cleaning I’m retired now and have lots of free time for my hobbies and one is keeping my car clean. When I was working my car didn’t get too much attention….

Got another gismo today to check my battery because I dint like the 50% my charger was showing. Tomorrow I will use it and I will post the results.

Battery Check & Monitor2.jpg

The new gismo looks like a pretty good one, just plug it to a cigarettes lighter socket and with the engine OFF it tells you a volts range for good, weak or bad battery and with the engine ON it tells you the volts the alternator pumps out and it tells you good, weak, overcharging, undercharging. Mine got it all just right.