tracking down a noise - rear differential ?

Justin400

Rear Differential failed and had it replaced with a salvaged part. i’m still hearing the noise that’s the reason i brought it in in the first place. low rumbling that sounds louder with speed. my second thought is the PTU but in a previous post i mentioned that i had that serviced at the same time as the Diff. the noise seems to be getting more aggressive. i don’t think it’s wheel bearings either because there is no play in the wheels and steering doesn’t seem to be effected. any advice to troubleshoot this? i can’t tell if i’m paranoid or if there is an issue.   is it common for the diff and ptu to fail together?

Edited by 1004ron
Why the double post?

On 1/4/2022 at 11:13 AM, ZeroPlus said:

Could the salvaged part be defective?  

i’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow to throw more money at it. I’m sure it’s possible but i really don’t think that is the cause. 

Edited by 1004ron
Why the double post?

13 hours ago, Justin400 said:

Rear Differential failed and had it replaced with a salvaged part. i’m still hearing the noise that’s the reason i brought it in in the first place. low rumbling that sounds louder with speed. my second thought is the PTU but in a previous post i mentioned that i had that serviced at the same time as the Diff. the noise seems to be getting more aggressive. i don’t think it’s wheel bearings either because there is no play in the wheels and steering doesn’t seem to be effected. any advice to troubleshoot this? i can’t tell if i’m paranoid or if there is an issue.   is it common for the diff and ptu to fail together?

Could the salvaged part be defective?  

• 1004ron changed the title to tracking down a noise - rear differential ?
  • 2 weeks later...