2008 edge limited, PTU leaking oil at the output shaft seal

Finisher42

My 2008 ford edge limited was leaking transmission fluid and spraying all over the engine compartment. I finally believe I found the root cause, a bad output shaft seal. The original seal was still in there and thus stuck after 13 yrs. So I tried every conventional method and ended up just breaking it out in pieces. Well me not being too bright thought there was a 2nd seal in there, and that really took a toll. I ended up drilling a small hole and inserting a screw to grab ahold of and thus pull the rest of the seal out?‍♂️?‍♂️. Little did I know the seal was already out and I just created a hole in the wall rite where the seal goes in. So, im leaking gear fluid and feel like a D.A.  My question is can something like this be fixed, or is a new PTU in order for this kind of damage??   ( for some reason its not letting me post pictures of this. I will follow up and get some pictures uploaded. Thank you for any and all of your help.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/V5CbH3b9W7AN

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/YiI0BNjRkIBN

Edited by Finisher42
To add url for pictures

Long story short. I drilled a hole and inserted a screw in to what I thought was the output shaft seal on my 2008 edge limited. As it happens, the seal was already out, (broken out in pieces by me because it was stuck) I was replacing the front passenger side because of a leak. So now its leaking gear oil. Is there any way to plug something like this, or will the PTU have to be replaced?? Thank you.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/YiI0BNjRkIBN

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/3gqqH1TWPZTN

• Thanks 1

• 1004ron changed the title to 2008 edge limited, PTU leaking oil at the output shaft seal

As KING of Ford Edge, Flex, Fusion, Taurus and  Mercury MKX AWD PTU repairs;

I have pulled out, upgraded, replaced or fixed these units as Ford dealerships refuse to service them on cars more than 10 years old/100,000+ miles.  I was tired of hearing it costs $1,800+ as this is a non-serviceable unit.  New/rebuilt units can be purchased for less than $700 and installed in 4 - 5 hours if you have hand tools, 2 hours was removing the exhaust pipe and the rear catalytic converter.  Upon reassembly you will need the exhaust gaskets and one catalytic converter metal ring.  If I replace a PTU I take the case apart drill a 1/2" hole and weld a threaded bung for a drain. I have also retrofitted a transaxle oil pump to a cooler in front of the AC condenser to prolong the life of the PTU; this was an additional $400 in parts and I question if was worth it as a tapped 1/8" NPT drain hole and changing the fluid every 20,000 miles should be sufficient till the Edge dies.

Leaking "black/brown" fluid on the passenger side you need a PTU Cover seal and the dust cover seal kit; this is PTU fluid: ($68 in parts)

Leaking "red" it is Mercon transmission fluid you will need the dust cover seal kit, ($40 in parts) also you need to inspect the "jack shaft" to make sure the race that rides in the inner oil seal is not pitted;   passenger side "jack shaft" driveshaft to the CV joint on the passenger side is about $120 from online OEM sellers, which is less than advanceauto , oreillys etc.

Repairing PTU both red/brown passenger side shaft seal leaks is relatively simple, and can be performed in about 2 hours; if you do not have lots of corrosion on nuts and suspension components.  It is important to have the specialty tools to seat the oil seals properly and re-install the plastic dust shield otherwise the leak will stop for a few weeks or month and reappear.  After learning this I purchased the FORD specialty tools and since performed 5 different repairs on these PTU's

I may be enticed to rent out the tools to off-set my investment as the I have over $1,000 in the PTU seal tools and they sit on the shelf a lot;  here are some repair sheets

RH half shaft seal.pdf

Halfshaft Seal - LH (Seals and Gaskets) - ALLDATA Repair.pdf

Input Shaft Seal Installation (Seals and Gaskets) - ALLDATA Repair.pdf

Here is a video to help you:

Another great document

RH PTU.pdf

Edited by dfreeman332
Added document
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here are the tools to do the left hand side AWD replacement; I fabricated the extension 205-907 to be 39" is needed for all repairs;

RH PTU - Brown/clear gear oil leaks - Heat Gun; 308-001 with 27" extension, 205-907, 308-777 required replacing right PTU cover seal, 205-882 to press back the plastic dust cover

RH PTU - Red/Dexron leaks -  tools needed: Heat Gun; 308-001 with 27" extension, 305-907, 205-882, 205-883

To remove the plastic cover seal use heat gun high for 10 minutes to soften, I stuff aluminum foil in the hole to prevent heat from damaging the jack shaft seals; use 308-001 to pull once HOT 200+ degrees

image.png.478781fc2d651a79c3deba5262cf0525.png

308-001.JPG

205-907.JPG

205-883.JPG

205-882.JPG

307-582A.JPG

Edited by dfreeman332
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1