Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133 & TSB 22-2229

Ronald S Katz

Help! Coil 1 misfire so mechanic replaced it and 2 weeks later it did it again so he put in another coil 1.  3rd time came around and he said take it to Ford.....Ford tells me I need a new motor!! They said coolant is leaking. The car is running fine, no issues at all. It's only 5 years old!  What should I do and is $8,021.00 average price?  

• Sad 1

Ecoboost 2.0 and Coolant intrusion. It does require a new engine that has a different design to not have this issue again. It is an unfortunate issue for 2015-2018 Edge and 2017-2019 Escape and Fusion. My 2017 Escape had a similar possible issue that could happen and I stressed out about it a lot. (Un)Fortunately it was lost in an accident at 96,000 miles and it never had any issues, but it was still a bit stressful waiting for it possibly happen. One of the reasons I went with a 2019 Edge when there were better equipped 2017-2018 for less, the common issues it has are cheaper, external, and in the case of the one I bought, already fixed and reprogrammed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge and didn't know about this problem, drive it very little around town but had an issue with overheating and just made it home to find all the coolant gone, had replaced a spark plug for a misfiring issue before this.  Did some further checking and bought a camera to look down and find the coolant.  My edge has 73,000 miles and now it seems I have to replace the engine.  I have owned Fords all my life and now feel stabbed in the back that because of their issue I have to replace the engine, which I cannot afford anyway.

• 1004ron changed the title to Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133 & TSB 22-2229
5 minutes ago, Sully said:

I just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge and didn't know about this problem, drive it very little around town but had an issue with overheating and just made it home to find all the coolant gone, had replaced a spark plug for a misfiring issue before this.  Did some further checking and bought a camera to look down and find the coolant.  My edge has 73,000 miles and now it seems I have to replace the engine.  I have owned Fords all my life and now feel stabbed in the back that because of their issue I have to replace the engine, which I cannot afford anyway.

Welcome.

Have you contacted Ford regarding this?

You say you  just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge, if it was from a Ford Dealer I will fight it with them otherwise sorry about it but you stuck with the problem. I also have a 2016 2L engine Titanium and so far so good.