2007 Ford Edge hvac, actuator, heater core Desperate

hello

I am here again searching for answers.

A year ago I had to put into a full hvac (not sure of the name) vents... etc. that involved removing the dashboard and 3000 dollars.    Now the same thing is happening again.   one side of the car, passenger, toasty warm and the drivers side lukewarm.  They at the dealership said It was a faulty actuator which they replaced for 300.00.   We get the car back and head out to test it and absolutely nothing has changed.   It goes back the same day and the tech is sick so now 5 days later they are saying it Is a bad heater core and they need another 1000+ to fix that.  

I bought the car from them 2 years to the day ago and the next day of owning the full hvac system "failed".  Now they are saying the above and that the coolant if filthy.  I put 4500 miles on that car in 2 years.   

Please, anyone have some advice on what to do?    I think I shouldn't have to pay for the actuator... I also am surprised the coolant is filthy and what they say, the cause of the blockage in the core.   One side of the car is toasty and hot!  The other Lukewarm.    Is there 2 heater cores?

Thank you to anyone who wants to give me the time to help.

• 1 year later...

One way to test the heater core is the run car to heat coolant, feel heater core  inlet and output hose. If outlet only is cold, (1) core is plugged OR (2) core has air pocket. If plugged it can sometimes be cleared by pressue flusing by reversing the flow (connect pressure hose to outlet and reverse flush core).

If car has EMTC (manual), the blend door module is connected to both doors on one shaft; and assume shaft is broken.

If car has DATC (automatic),  there are two blend door actuators and one is malfuncting. You can tell which actuator is failing by turning on heat. Cold side is failure. Causes of failure include broken interior gears, a burnt out motor or loss of output shaft gear position. 

You can try a blend door reset procedure and see if it resets. 

(1) remove fuse(s) for 60 seconds. Then start car, run a/c for a few minutes to allow HVAC to initialize and calibrate actuators. Takes about a minute. Switch car off and replace fuses. Start car again and wait 1/2 minute and verify mode door operation.

▪︎You can also try resetting the HVAC module.

Press the heater control button and the AC button simultaneously and hold for a few seconds. Release both and then push the heater button again to run diagnostics. (The vents will blow air in a cycle for about 20 seconds during this phase). 

Read any codes shown on screen (top right or left corners). Press AUTO to reset to exit diagnostics.

If you need to replace an actuator, there have been descriptions posted in this forum by members on how to do it. Use the search feature.

Edited by enigma-2

• 9 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 8:43 PM, enigma-2 said:

If car has EMTC (manual), the blend door module is connected to both doors on one shaft; and assume shaft is broken.

Hi, I’m wondering if you (or anyone from this forum) knows how to access the shaft that you referenced on a manual, single-zone Unit?  I believe this might be the issue on my 2008 Edge but don’t know how to verify or even access the shaft or doors. I can see the actuator moving but no change in temp. Trying to check this as a possible solution before replacing the heater core. Thank You!  

No insights on the Blend Door(s) and operating shaft are provided in the Workshop Manual, unfortunately, though YouTube includes video of a Ford truck owner cutting a portion of its climate control housing to access a blend door needing repair, as an alternative to removing the entire housing from behind the dash.

@WWWPerfA_ZN0W's recent advice on performing an actuator reset is worth a try.

Document download links>

Heater Core And Evaporator Core Housing - Removal and Installation - 2008 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heater Core - Removal and Installation - 2008 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Temperature Blend Door Actuator - RH, Dual-Zone EATC - Removal and Installation - 2008 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1