2015 Edge Wheel Bearing, Front, 2WD, 83k Miles

Dmtaurus

I believe I have a groaning left front wheel bearing on my Edge with 83,000 miles.  I was looking at RockAuto and the only makers that seem to be the best are Motorcraft (I think FAG makes theirs from the photos) and SKF. Does anyone have experience between the 2 makers for providing a quality, long-lasting unit? The price difference is 50 bucks more for the Motorcraft unit versus the SKF unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done a hub/wheel bearing on our Edge [looks around for wood to knock on], but I did a few on our '03 Mountaineer over the course of 12 years and 166k.  I used Timken hub/wheel bearings on the Mounty; I don't recall the exact reason why though.

Both FAG and SKF make quality bearings - I've installed both brands of bearings in helicopters over the course of my career.  Can't speak to their automotive hub/wheel bearings, though.

Thanks for the replies.

While waiting for replies to my question, I took a close look at the Motorcraft photos on Rockauto and see that they are FAG bearings, and they are made in Slovakia.  So, I took a chance and ordered the SKF bearings and when they arrived, they too said FAG on the hub.  I can only deduce that FAG makes them for other bearing companies, depending if it makes sense from a business standpoint for both parties.

I also wrote direct to SKF and was told that this model number is made in Slovakia, like the FAG unit.  SKF also attached their warranty for this bearing, which appears to be 3 years or 45,000 miles, if installed correctly. I uploaded the document.

I tend to think that they are a quality bearing because SKF is a renowned bearing maker for all types of applications.  I have used them in past material handling projects and they performed well.

Timken makes quality parts, but I was surprised they don't provide a replacement unit. 

Warranty.pdf

• Like 1