Change plugs between 30,000 - 40,000 miles

enigma-2

Keep in mind the guy is a certified mechanic at a dealer. Has a lot of great videos.

I would imagine there are many different conditions present, gas, driving characteristics, short trips, maintenance,  etc. He gives good examples of plugs wearing out at (less than) half the recommended change interval. 

Wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs at 30k and check condition. This would be more important on the 4-banger as plugs fire more often. 

Years ago, I bought one of the first Toyota Celica's sold in the US. (Truck transporter just pulled into dealer and I bought the car while still on the top rail of the trailer. Paid $2,500). High reving 4-banger. Went through points every 2,500 - 3,500 miles. (Seriously. Got real good at changing). Changed plugs at 12-15k miles. 

Edited by enigma-2

There is something very wrong with that engine, I've never changed a spark plug in anything other than a 2 stroke that had that much oil and carbon on it.   I'm not saying that plugs might not need to be changed more often, certainly on tuned engines running higher boost.  But that video is not at all representative of what a spark plug would look like even after 100,000 miles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, todd92 said:

There is something very wrong with that engine, I've never changed a spark plug in anything other than a 2 stroke that had that much oil and carbon on it.   I'm not saying that plugs might not need to be changed more often, certainly on tuned engines running higher boost.  But that video is not at all representative of what a spark plug would look like even after 100,000 miles.

Exactly.

If the creator of that video is in fact a qualified/certified mechanic, shame on him for attempting to deceive the public.