2021 Ford Edge - Forward Camera stop working after 5/13 Sync update.

+1 on my 2021 Ford Edge ST. I brought it to the dealership on June 3rd, 2022 and left it for the day there. They could not fix it as there was no fix for it. They have advised that there was 2 other Edges on their lot for sale that have the same problem. They have reached out to Ford Engineering and still waiting for answer, which is fine. I just hope when they find a solution it is the correct one. My work order is still open at the dealership.

So it looks like my news of a June update is a no go, based on what we are all seeing. Oops!

But on the plus side my navigation system now panics when giving me the next turn info on my dashboard menu (next to the speedo); it randomly changes street names, turn direction and distance a few times a second!  Absolutely magical…

… I really like my dealer but Ford is making me start to think that it’s time for a Jeep Grand Cherokee…

I don't understand this.  The '21 and '22 models are basically identical, aren't they?  Same Sync 4A and I'm not aware of any significant differences except for optional equipment.  Why are only the '21 models reporting this problem?  I just drove mine down the street for a test drive to make sure and it seems to work fine.  Forward camera shuts off at 7 mph and works each time I use it.

This only thing that might be at play is the computer chip shortage.  Perhaps they swapped out chips that weren't as functionally similar as they thought.  ??  This completely sucks. 

I have the same issue with my 2021 ST.  My issue started following notification of the software update.   The dealership I went to does not seem to be aware that there may be a larger issue than just my vehicle.  They want me to bring it back next week so they can spend more time diagnosing, but I’m guessing, like others, that the issue is software related. 

21 hours ago, Will2U said:

I don't understand this.  The '21 and '22 models are basically identical, aren't they?  Same Sync 4A and I'm not aware of any significant differences except for optional equipment.  Why are only the '21 models reporting this problem?  I just drove mine down the street for a test drive to make sure and it seems to work fine.  Forward camera shuts off at 7 mph and works each time I use it.

This only thing that might be at play is the computer chip shortage.  Perhaps they swapped out chips that weren't as functionally similar as they thought.  ??  This completely sucks. 

Yes, I have a 22 ST I got on April 18th.  I've checked multiple times and there are no updates.  Possibly mine was updated at the factory as it was only built 2 weeks before I got it.  Mine shuts off at 7 mph, I go below 7 and I can turn it on again.  

I just joined and am still trying to navigate my way through the Forum.  I posted an article over the weekend.  I have a 2021 Ford Edge ST and after they loaded the software to address 22S14 for the rear camera, afterwards the front camera did not function as designed. The dealer had the car for over 30 days working with Ford Corp Hotline, and could not fix it. They released the car back to me on June 3, 2002 saying they would come up with a fix sometime in the future. I posted a complaint of the NHTSA website, after I saw another 2021 Edge ST filed a complaint having experienced the same problem as I. However, for some reason they removed the complaint I saw,  once I filed mine.  

I'll bet if someone started a class action on the grounds that Ford sold us a 360 system as an expensive option, and then disabled the features we paid extra for.  Would probably become a priority at that point.  I never let my iphone update automatically, I don't know why I thought letting my car auto update would be a good idea, lol. 

I have the exact same issue on my 2021 Titanium. Took it to the dealer and they ran diagnosis and replaced the camera controller and the issue still wasn't resolved. When they reached out to the Ford Engineering team for next steps they were advised not to change any more parts its a software issue they are aware of with no ETA on the fix. Being in IT I think they rushed the last update and didn't fully test it. In my case the camera will work when I first turn the car on and also if i reboot the sync system using the power button and seek forward button it will work but the moment i move or about 30 seconds passes the front camera button does nothing.

Interesting thing I found today.  I have the back-up camera set for a delay.  When I switched from reverse to forward and pressed the camera button the front camera came on for about 5 seconds and then the screen returned to the back-up camera view.  It would be nice if Ford cared enough about their customers to fix the problem in a timely manner.  My guess is they'll wait until the next update to provide a patch.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my 22 ST has no issue with the front camera as it comes on, goes off and will come on as intended.  I was rather shocked yesterday when I looked at my screen and it said a software update just finished.  I was hoping I just didn't get the update that wrecks the front camera.  I checked and it still works just fine.  My software version is now 22043_PRODUCT Revision: 379.  Is that the same or different version for those of you with the 21s that have the malfunctioning camera?

I do not know what version I went into the dealership with, as my main motivator was to address the recall notice I received, and when I tried to update my software it just said I was up to date.  However, I just checked and the version I am running after 30 days at the dealership is Rev 22028 _ Product Revision 358.   Yours is Rev 22043 _ Product Revision 379.  I also noticed it said Sync 4, and I believe the vehicle is Sync 4A.  The dealer was aware of this as when I first went in back on May 3, 2022 the service advisor told me the download was going to take longer then he thought, because he did not realize the car was Sync 4A.  My VIN did come up as part of the recall.  Do you happen to know if your software particularly says Sync 4A, and did your VIN come in as part of the recall 22S14, the rear camera issue?  

OASIS Broadcast Message, posted on Ford's Professional Technician's System...

Jun 15 2022 2021 Edge Front Camera Concerns after OTA update or SYNC update

Concerns started with OTAs released/retrieved on 05/04/2022. Customers also reported the issue after the FSA 22S14 is performed. The camera will work if you activate it with the button. After driving, the camera button works until the vehicle speeds exceeds 9mph - 15km/h. After coming to a stop, you cannot activate the camera again until the vehicle is restarted with an ignition cycle or a SYNC soft reset / 2-button reset. This concern can be induced by the latest SYNC SW via OTA update or FSA/recall SW update. Do Not attempt to diagnose the concern. Replacing the camera or module(s) will not address the condition. Please monitor the FSA Landing Page for updates and monitor OASIS Broadcast Messages for updates.

I will provide updates as more info becomes available.

Good luck!

• Thanks 3

On 6/14/2022 at 4:14 PM, John S said:

I do not know what version I went into the dealership with, as my main motivator was to address the recall notice I received, and when I tried to update my software it just said I was up to date.  However, I just checked and the version I am running after 30 days at the dealership is Rev 22028 _ Product Revision 358.   Yours is Rev 22043 _ Product Revision 379.  I also noticed it said Sync 4, and I believe the vehicle is Sync 4A.  The dealer was aware of this as when I first went in back on May 3, 2022 the service advisor told me the download was going to take longer then he thought, because he did not realize the car was Sync 4A.  My VIN did come up as part of the recall.  Do you happen to know if your software particularly says Sync 4A, and did your VIN come in as part of the recall 22S14, the rear camera issue?  

My 22 says it is Sync 4 right before the version, but we know the Edge now has 4A, so not sure why it says that.  Maybe they just say 4, and the version number means it is 4A?

4 hours ago, Davidoo said:

My 22 says it is Sync 4 right before the version, but we know the Edge now has 4A, so not sure why it says that.  Maybe they just say 4, and the version number means it is 4A?

I have had two separate sources tell me the A signifies the large touch screen.  

6 hours ago, Haz said:

OASIS Broadcast Message, posted on Ford's Professional Technician's System...

Jun 15 2022 2021 Edge Front Camera Concerns after OTA update or SYNC update

Concerns started with OTAs released/retrieved on 05/04/2022. Customers also reported the issue after the FSA 22S14 is performed. The camera will work if you activate it with the button. After driving, the camera button works until the vehicle speeds exceeds 9mph - 15km/h. After coming to a stop, you cannot activate the camera again until the vehicle is restarted with an ignition cycle or a SYNC soft reset / 2-button reset. This concern can be induced by the latest SYNC SW via OTA update or FSA/recall SW update. Do Not attempt to diagnose the concern. Replacing the camera or module(s) will not address the condition. Please monitor the FSA Landing Page for updates and monitor OASIS Broadcast Messages for updates.

I will provide updates as more info becomes available.

Good luck!

Thanks very much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

Latest OASIS Broadcast Message provides September 2022 target for software patch and OTA deployment for FordPass-connected vehicles, Dealer service bay for others...

Jun 17 2022 2021 Edge - Front Camera Inoperative After Vehicle Traveled Over 6MPH (10Km/h)

Some 2021 Edge vehicles may exhibit the front camera not turning back on if thecamera system button is pressed once the vehicle is below the speed threshold of 6MPH (10km/h). This may be due to the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) software. Inform customers that engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition and will be released via an over the air (OTA) software update, expected in September 2022. Software will update automatically if the vehicle is connected to FordPass. Monitor OASIS for additional information. Schedule a service appointment for customers that are not connected to FordPass once the repair becomes available.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Haz said:

Latest OASIS Broadcast Message provides September 2022 target for software patch and OTA deployment for FordPass-connected vehicles, Dealer service bay for others...

Jun 17 2022 2021 Edge - Front Camera Inoperative After Vehicle Traveled Over 6MPH (10Km/h)

Some 2021 Edge vehicles may exhibit the front camera not turning back on if thecamera system button is pressed once the vehicle is below the speed threshold of 6MPH (10km/h). This may be due to the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) software. Inform customers that engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition and will be released via an over the air (OTA) software update, expected in September 2022. Software will update automatically if the vehicle is connected to FordPass. Monitor OASIS for additional information. Schedule a service appointment for customers that are not connected to FordPass once the repair becomes available.

Good luck!

It is very helpful to have this type of information. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

2021 Edge ST Grill camera stopped working around 5/19/2022 around the time that the vehicle received an 'over-the-air update' on rear camera blank screen problem (Safety Recall Notice 22S14/NHTSA Recall 22V151 -April 2022)  Problem: front grill camera no longer after vehicle goes over 6 MPH but does work right after starting engine.

I am of the opinion that the 22s14 new software patch has a bug in it.  My Ford dealer looked at it and didn't have a clue as to what to do.  It was apparent that I knew much more about the problem then the dealership.  I advised him to read this forum.  Now I am in a position that this is the only place to vent my problem mainly because the letter at accompanied the recall gave no instructions on how or were or what to do when you reach this point.  I did find a special service note SSM50884 which makes me believe Ford knows about the problem, sort of, maybe - wait and see.