2021 Ford Edge - Forward Camera stop working after 5/13 Sync update.

Model - 2021 Ford Edge ST - Fully loaded with forward camera, navi, pano roof, brake package, heated/cooled seats, etc. 

My forward camera stop working after the 5/13 Sync update. The sync update was to address a "frozen" REVERSE camera, but it BROKE the FORWARD CAMERA. In addition I NEVER had an issues with the reverse camera. 

Expected Functionality - Forward Camera works under 15mph in drive when I press the "forward camera" button to get close to cars in traffic, parking lots, and parking.

Problem - Forward Camera - after latest sync update, forward camera no longer works after driving above 7 15 mph, coming to a complete stop and pressing forward camera button again.

Conditions when the front camera does work.
Condition 1 - Starting the car (cold start) and going into drive and hitting the forward camera. 
Condition 2 - After driving the car above 7 15 mph, shifting into reverse, shifting to drive, and pressing the forward camera

Conditions where the Forward camera does not work.
1. After moving the vehicle above  7 15 mph, coming to a complete stop and pressing the "forward camera".
2. Driving under 5mph and pressing forward camera; Both these conditions used to work.

I utilize the forward camera in tight parking spots and parking lots in San Francisco, but it not responding I am likely to get into a crash or hit the vehicle because the car is not functioning.

Attempted steps taking to remediate the problem -
1. General - Settings - Factory Reset; waiting until screen loads.
2. Power button and "next track button" until Ford Screen shows.
3. Disconnecting negative battery and reconnecting.

**I updated to show 7 mph, I looked into the handbook, it says 7mph. 

I contact Ford on twitter, facebook, and chat. 

Has anybody else experienced this problem? If yes +1 in the comments. I am bugging them on every surface. 

Edited by dalethewhale
added steps troubleshooted.

Have you taken it to the dealership to have the update checked and reloaded?  It has been reported that Ford experienced a server problem with OTA updates recently.  One of your modules may need to be reloaded.  It  is an all-day job to update all modules but the dealership can fix it.  I had them do mine rather than wait for OTA. 

What was that old saying, "Feeling lucky? Update your software". 

I too agree with Wull2U, sounds like it's a job for the dealer. At the least, it will get documented that it was a certified update that screwed things up. 

Edited by enigma-2

2 hours ago, KatieH said:

+1  I have the same issue.  2021 Edge Titanium. 

Looking forward to what you learn from Ford.  Hopefully they'll just send another automatic update.

You might want to go ahead and contact your dealer.  This was a big update and, from the way it sounds, a bad update won't correct itself.  It's a warranty fix so you are just out the inconvenience. 

Depending on your dealer, it may be a while before you can even get in.  My dealer has ONE tech qualified to do software updates.  I had to schedule a week in advance and leave the car overnight. 

Same problem here, I posted in an Edge ST group on Facebook and we have a bunch of people with the same issue.

Attempting to deal with Ford via social media was useless and I have to ring customer service.. my primary concern is the slippery slope of over the air updates that will also screw up down the road and lack of support. Imho they should at least have older versions available to download or recover prior updates in case something screws up.

I also noticed that Trailer Sway keeps enabling every time the vehicle is started, this also on my 2021 ST…. Iirc my 2019 ST didn’t ever have this issue so I am guessing that an update did this somewhere along the way.

Good luck and I’m looking forward to news,  I’m not sure if that’s welcomed here but I can also share the Facebook thread if that helps you with Ford on your end…

11 hours ago, Xfire said:

Same problem here, I posted in an Edge ST group on Facebook and we have a bunch of people with the same issue.

Attempting to deal with Ford via social media was useless and I have to ring customer service.. my primary concern is the slippery slope of over the air updates that will also screw up down the road and lack of support. Imho they should at least have older versions available to download or recover prior updates in case something screws up.

I also noticed that Trailer Sway keeps enabling every time the vehicle is started, this also on my 2021 ST…. Iirc my 2019 ST didn’t ever have this issue so I am guessing that an update did this somewhere along the way.

Good luck and I’m looking forward to news,  I’m not sure if that’s welcomed here but I can also share the Facebook thread if that helps you with Ford on your end…

I have learned that interacting with Ford via Social Media or the FordPass app is useless.  If you need help locating the Start button, they might be able to help you.  They are NOT technical staff at all.  If you have a PROBLEM, always go to a dealership.  That has been a frustrating lesson. 

I agree that there needs to be more control over updates and a rollback procedure.  Cars are more like computers and Ford is taking the Apple approach. 

Nothing yet, it's been a week. They said they contacted Ford Engineering and are awaiting a response. They said I should get one today or tomorrow. Once they have a fix they said to bring the vehicle back in. 

I also filed a ticket with the NHTSA. Somebody filed a complaint for the rear camera and got the update pushed that screwed up the front camera. 

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index Report your problem by filing a ticket. 

Edited by dalethewhale

I wouldn't be surprised if its months before an official fix is pushed out.  Software updates, testing, validation takes a long time and even then as you can see, they don't always get it right.  This is the future of vehicles as things get more technical and software based.

It isn’t so much as “more technical”, it’s just hard to find people who can do a good job of thinking analytically and proofing their work.  

Just a simple config change that wasn’t properly tested and approved for release in a rush, which is extremely disappointing.

Good luck to the OP and I hope to see good news soon!

FYI there are 8 of us here with the same issue (link from the Ford Edge ST Nation group on FB):

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjHrKm94JL4AhUrg4QIHYFyAtoQFnoECAkQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2FEdgeSTNation%2Fabout%2F&usg=AOvVaw3PtzRURlQ8OtgBZebU-Hc_

Edited by Xfire

On 5/17/2022 at 9:09 AM, dalethewhale said:

Model - 2021 Ford Edge ST - Fully loaded with forward camera, navi, pano roof, brake package, heated/cooled seats, etc. 

My forward camera stop working after the 5/13 Sync update. The sync update was to address a "frozen" REVERSE camera, but it BROKE the FORWARD CAMERA. In addition I NEVER had an issues with the reverse camera. 

Expected Functionality - Forward Camera works under 15mph in drive when I press the "forward camera" button to get close to cars in traffic, parking lots, and parking.

Problem - Forward Camera - after latest sync update, forward camera no longer works after driving above 15mph, coming to a complete stop and pressing forward camera button again.

I'm a bit confused about what you are saying has changed or is broken.  I'm probably not reading it correctly.  I just got a new 22 ST about 6 weeks ago.  If I turn on the forward camera on while in drive, the camera comes on, but turns off by itself when I pick up a little speed (could be 15mph).  Is that the expected functionality you mention above?  

If I slow down or stop, but leave the car in gear and activate the front camera, it comes on, then goes off when I speed up.  I often check for software updates, but have never received one since I got the car on 4/18.  I would think the 22 might have the same software as the 21, but I could be wrong.  

The Way I read it is:

1. At a stop or below 15mph activate the forward camera.

2. Drive car to a speed above 15mph - camera automatically turns off.

3. Come to a stop or slow down below 15 mph and activate the forward camera again.

4. Forward camera fails to operate as expected.

I had time to test mine again on my 22 ST that I've had since April 18th.  If I'm stopped, I can turn the front camera on.  When I accelerate, it goes off at approximately 7 mph.  Nowhere near 15 mph.  If I use the brake and stop the car, I can push the front camera button and it comes back on fine, then when I accelerate it goes back off at around 7 mph.  So, it appears mine functions correctly, but turns off well before 15 mph.  I don't know if this is the intended behavior or not, but at least it does come back on when I'm below 7 mph every time, so I don't have that problem.  I can try to find the software version I have and post that to see if I have the newest one.  

3 hours ago, Davidoo said:

I had time to test mine again on my 22 ST that I've had since April 18th.  If I'm stopped, I can turn the front camera on.  When I accelerate, it goes off at approximately 7 mph.  Nowhere near 15 mph.  If I use the brake and stop the car, I can push the front camera button and it comes back on fine, then when I accelerate it goes back off at around 7 mph.  So, it appears mine functions correctly, but turns off well before 15 mph.  I don't know if this is the intended behavior or not, but at least it does come back on when I'm below 7 mph every time, so I don't have that problem.  I can try to find the software version I have and post that to see if I have the newest one.  

What is your sync version? Mine says 2.3.2 on my 21 Edge ST. You may want to turn off updates if yours hasn't received the most recent one because that breaks the front camera.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:26 PM, ebank said:

The cameras will fail to operate not based on distance traveled but rather time. Ie. I can turn the car on, activate front camera fine, reverse to activate rear camera, go into drive / forward gear again and it will fail to turn on after 15 seconds of vehicle start time.

Just an FYI to those affected (I will post this on the FB group too), I spoke with a few people at Ford today and there is a June PowerUp with a release date of today (June 6th) which just got published.  How quickly it will propagate is not something that I can speak to, however of all the internal update notes the two most relevant would be either an unnamed APIM fix, or the addition of a telematics service code indicating that there is a telematics update still pending with a July release date as the issue is not resolved.

Meaning that we will either see it fixed now with the current update, or it may be part of a greater “telematics issue” which wouldn’t see another update until July at the least.  The addition of the service code, from what I was told, is an internal message that is only readable by Ford techs if they scan the vehicle for issues. I’m unclear as to whether this is something that will post over CANBUS or some other/proprietary method. 

They noted my suggestion that customers should at least have an avenue by which to report product issues after an OTA update, even if it’s just a one way method like an online page/report button in car or whatever.  

Guess we will see what happens soon… 

Edited by Xfire

7 hours ago, Xfire said:

report button in car or whatever.  

What a great idea.

Knowing Ford, what could possibly go wrong? 

Like press the button and your check engine light comes on, "engine not available" pops up in the information panel, you coast to a stop on the 5 freeway, in afternoon traffic and your car dials the Count Clara's Castle of Conspicuous Courtesans. With your wife sitting in the passenger seat. You know, with "that" look. 

Kind of reminds me of Ford's Vehicle health report where it sent a complete report of your car to the Ford (Lincoln) website, and when you looked it up it said "nothing to see here, keep moving".

Cue the replies ....

• Haha 3

Also having the exact same issue.   '21 Edge Titanium.  Waiting for a part to come in for another repair, and am planning on having the dealer do the software upgrade at the same time because they told me that the upgrade time is lengthy and better done by them. 

Add me to the list, 2021 Edge Titanium.  The front camera hasn't worked since the update.  The car is at the dealer today and they don't know what 's going on, didn't find any issues.  How they don't know about this issue is beyond me.  They did say that they believe the last OTA changed the time from 15 mph to 7 mph for safety.  I also have tons of issues with the infotainment system. The other day it froze and the only thing that worked was the radio.  I couldn't control anything else (climate control, seat heater/cooler, settings screen, etc.  I've had the screen stay completely blank on start-up, half screen issues, and now the front camera.  Hopefully there will be an new OTA sooner than later.