Oil Filter cap removal

Texas White ST

New to group. Tried my first oil change over the weekend on my 2020 Edge ST @ 5,000 miles. Was able to remove the drain pan plug, however no success with the oil filter cap. Tried the 27mm oil filter socket w/ an angled ratchet,  could not get it to budge and felt like i was stripping the rubberized 6 point head. Any tips for getting it off? Thanks in advance

It might be best to have the dealership remove it, seeing as the factory over-tightened it - they damage it, they replace it.

It should just be bottomed out, no torque applied, seeing as it relies solely on the double O-rings to seal.

Is that a six sided 27mm socket?

Edited by 1004ron

It is expected that Ford, or any manufacturer, provide a torque value for everything, but I'll stick with bottoming out the filter housing and that's where I stop, and leave the double O-rings to do the sealing.

My speculation is that the filter assy is assembled dry in the factory and and they apply torque after it bottoms out, and that causes the plastic threads to lock up - it Fords problem, have them fix it.

• Like 1