Horn not working 2012 SEL

2012 Edge SEL 3.5L AWD

So I noticed my horn not working after locking my doors and starting the car a few times waiting for the beep.... (after market remote start activated on 3rd hit of the lock button). So I went through the process of elimination. Fuse good, horn good (direct to battery and it makes noise), I hear the relay clicking under the dash when button it pressed, so I know they both work. Put a lamp on the horn plug under the bumper and the bulb lights, dim on door lock and bright when press horn button. Put the horn back on and nothing..... I am lost with this one, anyone have any ideas? I'm gonna pick up an aftermarket horn and see what happens.

Is this a newly acquired vehicle? 

Is this a newly occurring problem?

Do you have a wiring diagram for the aftermarket remote start to assess if it could be contributing to the problem?

Below are PDF download links to relevant sections of the 2012 Edge Workshop Manual, and images, relating to the Edge's horn...

Good luck!

Horn - Description and Operation - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Horn Wiring Diagram - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Horn - Diagnosis and Testing - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) - Connector C2414A - Details - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Connector C2280B - Details - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Connector C2280E - Details - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Clockspring - Connector C218A - Details - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Clockspring - Connector C218B - Details - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Clockspring - Connector C218C - Details - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Horn - Connector C131 - Details - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Horn - Removal and Installation - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Removal and Installation - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Column Shroud - Removal and Installation - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Clockspring - Removal and Installation - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) - Removal and Installation - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Horn  - Wiring Diagram - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) - Connector C2414A Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Body Control Module (BCM) Module - Connector C2280B Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Clockspring - Connector C218A Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Clockspring - Connector C218B Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Clockspring - Connector C218C Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Horn  - Connector C131 Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Body Control Module (BCM) Module - Connector C2280E Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Edited by Haz

Just in case the aftermarket horn does not solve the problem, here are additional images highlighting the Horn ground circuit, ground wiring termination location, other components utilizing that same ground termination, ground harness location...

Good luck!

Horn  - Wiring Diagram With Ground Circuit Points Highlighted - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Horn Ground Circuit G107 Terminates To Chassis Engine Compartment Right Side Front Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Horn And Other Components Using Ground Circuit Termination Point G107 - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Horn Ground Harness S114 Terminates To Chassis Location Illustration - 2012 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Did you get anywhere with this problem?  I am experiencing the same issue with my car.  The horn works fine if testing on the bench, and works fine by pressing the horn button on the steering wheel but sounds weak when using the remote lock.  I have also checked for the voltage at the plug in the bumper and it was 11.83v with pressing the horn on the steering wheel.

Try checking voltage using methods A8 and A9, below, using the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Lock command that is producing the marginal horn response, to see if voltage differs from horn actuation using the steering wheel method.

Perhaps the brief electrical pulse to produce the horn chirp is being hampered by the horn's ground circuit, G107, depicted in the Wiring diagram above...

From the 2011 Edge Workshop Manual...

Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Lock/Unlock Control — Lock

The RKE feature requests that all of the doors be locked when the lock button is pressed. On any press of the lock button with all doors closed, the doors lock and the turn signals flash one time. If any door or liftgate is ajar, no flash occurs. As soon as the last door or liftgate is closed, the turn signals flash. If 2 presses of the lock button are received within 3 seconds, the horn chirps once and the turn signals flash twice to indicate that all of the doors and liftgate are closed and locked. If any door is ajar when the second lock request is received within 3 seconds of the first, the RKE transmitter feature chirps the horn twice without flashing the turn signals to indicate it locked all of the doors but one or more doors or the liftgate is ajar. When the ignition is in the RUN or START position, the turn signal flashes and horn chirp confirmations do not occur.

A8  CHECK FOR VOLTAGE TO THE HORN
  • Disconnect: Horn C131 .
  • While pressing the horn switch, measure the voltage between the horn C131-2, circuit SRH01 (YE/RD), harness side and ground.
  • imagen2.dll?id=N0090544&w=250&t=JPG

Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

Yes GO to A9.
No GO to A10.

A9  CHECK THE HORN GROUND CIRCUIT FOR CONTINUITY
  • While pressing the driver airbag module against the steering wheel, measure the voltage between the horn C131-2, circuit SRH01 (YE/RD), harness side, and the horn C131-1, circuit GD123 (BK/GY), harness side.
  • imagen2.dll?id=N0013171&w=250&t=JPG

Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

Yes INSTALL a new horn. REFER to Horn in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No REPAIR circuit GD123 (BK/GY) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.

Good luck!