Ford edge 2019 static radio

I'm having an issue with my Ford edge 2019. The FM struggles to pick up one of two stations in the middle of the city. Sometimes even these station become static and unlistenable. I have checked the antenna unit.  The connection is good and there's no sign of damage to the antenna it is like brand new never touched. I have no any Am station.  Any idea what this might be? A number of people have had the same issue and never had a chance to fix it or let other edge owners know about that?  Thank you 

Check and make certain the small antenna mast is screwed in on the shark fin. It's about 6"-8" tall stick. (Classic symptoms).

It's a dealer install and it's possible they forgot to do it. If it's missing, check to see if its still in the glovebox.

If it's there, make certain its screwed in tight and no corrosion in connectiin socket.

There is only one screw that holds the sharkfin to the roof, as i checked it's fully tightened.  Is there a small antenna embedded inside the sharkfin ( which i don't know about) ?  It's driving me nuts some people might not care about having or not having the radio . The am station are absolutely all static. I get only 2 stations on FM that I'm literally 3 miles away from them . 

On your 2019 Edge, the roof-mounted sharkfin antenna only provides signals for the GPS and satellite radio functions.

Per the 2019 Edge Workshop Manual, with additional relevant sections in PDF download links and images below...

GPS /Satellite Radio Antenna

The GPS /satellite radio antenna contains a GPS antenna circuit board that receives radio waves containing GPS and satellite radio data (vehicles equipped with a satellite radio). The data is sent through the coaxial cable to the APIM ( GPS data) and through a splitter to the ACM (satellite radio data).

Audio Unit Antenna

The audio unit antenna (also called the AM / FM 1 antenna) is an on-glass antenna, mounted to the left side of the rear window. It receives AM / FM radio waves and sends them through the audio unit antenna amplifier to the ACM via the audio unit antenna coaxial cable (also called the AM / FM 1 antenna coaxial cable).

Audio Unit Antenna Amplifier

The audio unit antenna amplifier (also called the AM / FM 1 antenna amplifier) amplifies AM / FM radio signals to improve reception. The amplified signal is sent through a coaxial cable to the ACM . The amplifier is powered by the ACM through the coaxial cable.

FM 2 Diversity Antenna

The FM 2 diversity antenna is an on-glass antenna, mounted to the right side of the rear window. The FM 2 diversity antenna improves FM reception in urban areas or anywhere large objects reflect FM signals and create multiple FM signal paths.

FM 2 Diversity Antenna Amplifier

The FM 2 diversity antenna amplifier amplifies FM radio signals and transmits them through a coaxial cable to the ACM . Voltage for the amplifier is provided by the ACM through the coaxial cable.

Antenna Inputs Wiring Diagram

1227633664_AudioFrontControlModule(ACM)AntennaInputsWiringDiagram-2019EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.f4146929884711773f7d35734ddd49a2.jpg

Pinpoint Test A - Poor AM-FM Reception - Diagnosis and Testing - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

ACM Antenna Inputs & Amplifier Wiring Diagram - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Antenna Isolator Module - Removal and Replacement - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

AM-FM1 Antenna Amplifier - Removal and Replacement - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

FM2 Diversity Antenna Amplifier - Removal and Replacement - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Audio Unit Antenna Cable Removal and Replacement - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Information and Entertainment System - System Operation and Component Description - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Audio Front Control Module (ACM) Coaxial Connector C240D AM-FM1 Antenna -2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

1002528371_AudioFrontControlModule(ACM)CoaxialConnectorC240DLocationIllustration-2019EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.6191f77607d15d28b06821e30d1a90c6.jpg

If you require additional Connector information, please let me know, otherwise...

Good luck!

• Like 2

It's really nerve breaking when you see some simple device like an antenna is purposely being complicated in edges 2019+   as i took the panel off i realized that I'm missing the connector from the AM/FM modifer from to the so called in glass antenna.  In the meantime i have to take time and make sure that make home made connection from the modifer to the glass antenna. 

Tell you what guys . All of these 2  piece of crap modifers are good for absolutely nothing. Long story short i believe an old school antenna can work way better than in- glass antenna and modifers 

I hope i can fix the issue of poor  fm/am reception when I make this connection.

20220704_092556.jpg

Edited by hawie
  • Like 1

I've been working with Hawie offline.

We determined that his Edge's liftgate glass had been previously broken and, unfortunately, was replaced with a unit lacking the in-glass antenna grid(s).

He researched adding an aftermarket stick-on antenna grid to the inside of the replacement glass, but subsequently found online feedback saying rear window defroster usage would create radio interference.

He experimented using a simple length of wire inside the window aperture and his Edge did gain some local station reception.

At last report, he was pursuing an exterior-mount aftermarket antenna as a long-term solution, which he might eventually provide us an update on.

Good luck!

Good day

I would like to provide an update on the issue that i had on my edge regarding the poor reception of the radio.  As Haz mentioned my rear window was replaced with non arial glass.

i had to come up with something to make  some sort of antenna for the amplifier. Since i had the amplifier but no antenna. The amplifier was like having nothing. During the process of making the antenna i tried two kinds of aftermarkets which non of them gave me desired reception since i had to put the after market anttenas inside the upper portion of the liftgate inside the plastic cover. 

At the end i searched online to make a kind of antenna with less size and easily installed.  I just a bought 50cm of a good quality of coux cable. I had to pierce about 6 inches of the rubber coating then take the silver flim and fold it back against the length of the cord. U will have to pierce the copper wire and use it as mast.  I solderd this connection leads to the amplifier. Then i put this pierced coux cable to the frame of upper liftgate against the window. Now the strand of the wire is barely seen by the human eye in the rear glass and still able to get the a really good reception (tested) like any other car with sharkfin

The edge 2019+ don't have sharkfin working as local fm/am antenna. To make up for that they included amplifier with rear glass bulit-in antenna. If you want to mesure the strength of your radio signal  you have to press both of the ''next bottons'' and find radio signal in there to get live mesurement of the signal you're getting from the installed antenna.  

Edited by hawie
  • Thanks 1

Out of curiously,  i checked Safelite site. 

Appears there are two different types of rear glass with antennas. One identified as "antenna", another identified as " diversified antenna".

First costs ~$490, 2nd ~$597. (Heated glass without antenna goes for $476).

The following discussion discusses what all is involved with, with this type of in-glass antenna. May be usefull (but written for Lincoln Town Car).

https://www.fordforums.com/threads/where-is-the-diversity-antenna.125129/