ANOTHER ACCELLERATOR RESPONSE QUESTION

sanche

Hello,

I have an 08 limited w/AWD, 11.5 k miles.

At times especially in stop and go traffic, when I need to change a lane, or manuver around someone expediciously, I press the accellerator and the car hesitates for about a second or two before it responds.

The engine basically stays at idle during this time, like the system gets confused for a moment, then it takes off.

Is the accel pedal to the engine connected by wire, or a direct cable?

I have not seen any issues in this forum about this, I wonder if anyone else have noticed this kind of hesitation.

It does not do it all the time, just occaionally, in stop/go traffic.

Is there a TSB or a fix?

Other than that, its a great car, goes very nicely in 6" of snow too.

Thanks Much

Hello,

I have an 08 limited w/AWD, 11.5 k miles.

At times especially in stop and go traffic, when I need to change a lane, or manuver around someone expediciously, I press the accellerator and the car hesitates for about a second or two before it responds.

The engine basically stays at idle during this time, like the system gets confused for a moment, then it takes off.

Is the accel pedal to the engine connected by wire, or a direct cable?

I have not seen any issues in this forum about this, I wonder if anyone else have noticed this kind of hesitation.

It does not do it all the time, just occaionally, in stop/go traffic.

Is there a TSB or a fix?

Other than that, its a great car, goes very nicely in 6" of snow too.

Thanks Much

The system is all computerized...no cable. Nothing beats the instantaneous response of a direct cable to throttle body connection. Computers have been known to lag..

A lot of cars do that and it really gets scary when you quickly try to accelerate into another lane when you have an opportunity. I'm not an expert but I think it's the nature of an automatic transmission. When driving in the stop and go traffic, we tend to let off the gas and coast. Since we let off the gas and are still moving, the transmission shifts into the higher gears. Imagine driving a stick shift while idling around 20 miles and hour and have the transmission in 3rd or fourth gear. Then punch the gas without shifting down. I believe that is what is happening to us when this "dogging" out happens.

A solution which you will need to be careful and experiment with is when driving at these speeds is to manually shift the transmission down in to second or maybe first gear. Just remember to shift back up at the proper time so you don't burn up tour transmission.

A solution which you will need to be careful and experiment with is when driving at these speeds is to manually shift the transmission down in to second or maybe first gear. Just remember to shift back up at the proper time so you don't burn up tour transmission.

That's hard to do with a shifter that says PRNDL - there is no direct gear selection. You can select L which will increase the RPM and might give better response. But this isn't a transmission problem - it's the way the electronic throttle works.

A lot of cars do that and it really gets scary when you quickly try to accelerate into another lane when you have an opportunity. I'm not an expert but I think it's the nature of an automatic transmission. When driving in the stop and go traffic, we tend to let off the gas and coast. Since we let off the gas and are still moving, the transmission shifts into the higher gears. Imagine driving a stick shift while idling around 20 miles and hour and have the transmission in 3rd or fourth gear. Then punch the gas without shifting down. I believe that is what is happening to us when this "dogging" out happens.

phaggard,

Thanks for clearing things up. This is the first car I've owned w/o a direct cable.

Don't understand why owners have not complained about this when introduced.

I certainly hope its as reliable as a cable and return spring, would hate new system to fail in open position while driving.

...Sanche

• 2 weeks later...
Try to drive with the O/D off. Its way differant shift program. Kinda more sporty. The new ones dont even list it as "O/D off" in the IP it has a pic of a car going down hill. Whatever that means.

Hi Steve. :D I just want to correct a misconception here: As our Owners Manuals clearly explain, when you turn O/D (Overdrive) off, you change absolutely nothing in the shift program other than locking out Overdrive. It does not change the shift program in any other way. In other words, it is not a "way different shift program". Nor is it a "more sporty" program.

The transmission should be left in Overdrive for most all driving conditions other than Towing, maybe around town on occasion, or when extra engine braking may be needed. One such use would be to help keep from overheating the brakes when driving down long mountainous roads. That is why the icon is a "pic of a car going down a hill".

If a person drives on the highway with O/D turned off, all they will be doing is using more gas (due to the higher RPM's when Overdrive is off) and putting more wear and tear on their engine and transmission. This is why O/D should be left on in most driving conditions other than the ones described in the Owners Manual.

I only mention this so people do not get the wrong idea about what O/D is and when it should be left on/turned off. Driving around with O/D off, especially in highway driving conditions could be harmful to your transmission and engine (unnecessarily high RPM's). If anyone doubts this information, please check your Owners Manual for corroboration.

All of this is explained in the Owners Manual.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

They run 2 and many times 3 "jobs" in one model year. Your book is only good for your run. TRUST ME the new 6 Speeds with the 3.5 and 2.5 dont just lock out OD.

Hi Steve. :D The information I posted is not from "my book". It is official Ford information. I am sorry, but you are incorrect. No JOB change has reprogrammed the O/D button. The O/D button simply locks out Overdrive and provides additional engine braking (Ford calls it "Grade Assist"). It is not a "kinda sporty" shift program. This has been the case from the Introduction of the Edge/MKX until the present time.

No Ford vehicle has a "Sport Mode" transmission or anything resembling it, especially not the Edge/MKX. The O/D button simply locks out Overdrive and provides additional engine braking for towing and long downhill driving. That is all.

This information is easily verifiable, and I have done so. Here is the official Ford description of what the O/D button does in the Edge/MKX (bold and underlined):

D (Drive) with Overdrive Cancel and Grade Assist

Pressing the transmission control

switch on the side of the gearshift

lever activates two features at the

same time: Overdrive Cancel and

Grade Assist.

1. Overdrive Cancel

• Overdrive is deactivated.

• The transmission operates in gears one through five.

• The O/D OFF lamp in the

instrument cluster is illuminated.

2. Grade Assist

• Improves driving experience in hilly terrain or mountainous areas by

providing additional grade (engine) braking and extends lower gear

operation on uphill climbs.

• Provides additional engine braking through the automatic transmission

shift strategy which reacts to vehicle inputs (vehicle acceleration,

accelerator pedal, brake pedal and vehicle speed).

• Allows the transmission to select gears that will provide the desired

engine braking based on the vehicle inputs mentioned above. This will

increase engine RPM during engine braking.

Overdrive Cancel with Grade Assist is designed to provide optimal gear

selection in hilly terrain or mountainous areas. It is recommended that

you return to O/D (overdrive mode) on flat terrain to provide the best

fuel economy and transmission function.

• Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D

to other gears. Examples: hilly terrain, mountainous areas and

when engine braking is required.

To return to O/D (overdrive mode), press the transmission control switch

again.

• The O/D OFF lamp in the instrument cluster will not be illuminated.

• The transmission will operate in gears one through six.

O/D (overdrive mode) is automatically returned each time the key is

turned off.

If you notice, it specifically states to "• Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D

to other gears. Examples: hilly terrain, mountainous areas and when engine braking is required."

While it alters the shift strategy by locking out Overdrive, it most certainly is not a "sporty"mode that is meant for everyday driving. Ford makes it clear that it is for driving in mountainous and hilly terrain. Driving around with it on more than that will damage the transmission.

If you still disagree, please supply some sort of link or copy and paste (as I just did) to a site verifying your information.

I mean no offense, but there will be no site stating otherwise.

Edited by bbf2530

I did not say it was a sport mode. Its the grade assit that hold the gear longer that makes it hunt for gears less. It does not put the car into sport or any other mode. It just changes they way the trans shifts and what speed it shifts at. Before you scan and post your owners guide this is a good way to test this out.....

Step 1

Put down your Owners guide

Step 2

Turn off your computer

Step 3

Get into your car and start the engine

Step 4

Push the O/D button

Step 5

Take a spin!

It holds the gear your in longer, down shifts less, and "feels" more reponsive, and dare I say a little more sporty! Sorry I know thw word sporty gets you all worked up. :shades:

I did not say it was a sport mode. Its the grade assit that hold the gear longer that makes it hunt for gears less. It does not put the car into sport or any other mode. It just changes they way the trans shifts and what speed it shifts at. Before you scan and post your owners guide this is a good way to test this out.....

Step 1

Put down your Owners guide

Step 2

Turn off your computer

Step 3

Get into your car and start the engine

Step 4

Push the O/D button

Step 5

Take a spin!

It holds the gear your in longer, down shifts less, and "feels" more reponsive, and dare I say a little more sporty! Sorry I know thw word sporty gets you all worked up. :shades:

Hi Steve. Odd, I have been very polite to you, even in your other post where you also gave incorrect information (break-in oil). So perhaps you can afford me the same courtesy?

And there has certainly been no "JOB' change to the Edge's 6F transmission concerning the O/D button function (as you last attempted to state). If there has been, please provide corroboration. Of course, there is none, so you might want to stick to the facts and skip the silly sarcasm, since it does not change or deflect from the fact that your information is incorrect.

"Grade Assist" is exactly that, to be used to assist in hilly and mountainous road conditions. Not for a sporty feel in regular driving. Because it is not "sportier at all. It is holding the gear choice artificially low and therefore the RPM's artificially high for engine braking purposes. And do you know what that does? It places added wear and tear on your transmission and engine. This is automotive knowledge 101. Do it with your car if you wish, but if someone tells others to do something with a high potential of damaging their car it, I will offer the correct information every time. Whether that gets them "worked up" or not.

For your information, I am not reading, scanning or posting from my Owners Guide. A quick look at my signature and you may be able to figure that out. Odd that even if I was, reading from the handbook for your own vehicle gets you worked up, especially when it proves you wrong. :shades:

However, I am copying and pasting from official Ford documentation concerning the 6F Transmission in the Edge/MKX. And by the way, this information corroborates what is in that Owners Guide that you seem to so despise.

The word "sporty" does not get me "worked up' in the least. Drive around town with O/D off for a while for a week or two in your "Sporty feeling" Edge and then we can all read your posts concerning your transmission problems. The "Overdrive Off/Grade Assist" settings are just that, to be used for driving in hilly and mountainous terrain when added engine braking is needed. It is certainly not the cure for the transmission concerns others are posting about.

Someone telling others incorrect information does not even get me "worked up". However, when someone (in this case you) posts incorrect information which could potentially cause premature transmission problems/failure for others, then I will correct them. Go back and read your posts, you recommended that people drive their cars with O/D off. If someone who does not know much about transmissions follows your advice and does that regularly in normal driving, they will soon damage their transmission.

The Edge and MKX have an O/D button. It is meant only for the purpose of turning off the Overdrive function for driving in situations needing added engine braking (Grade Assist). Not for a "sporty feel". It is no sportier than driving a manual transmission car around town in the wrong gear (too low all the time). Higher RPM's and more engine noise do not make a car "sporty". It only "downshifts less" because it is not upshifting at the correct time (for normal driving). And that is because the transmission thinks you are driving in the mountains. Do that very often and you will be replacing your transmission in short order. :doh:

Again, please post some type of corroborating evidence for your "opinion". I have and it proves your "opinion" incorrect.

And please afford others the same courtesy they do you, especially when they provide proof of their side of the story and you do not.

I always treat others with the same respect they treat me. Wrong or right.

Edited by bbf2530

Interesting bbf2530, I think you have contradicted yourself, and I would like to get to the truth, so not taking sides!

In post #8 you state, when you turn O/D (Overdrive) off, you change absolutely nothing in the shift program other than locking out Overdrive. It does not change the shift program in any other way.

In post #12 you state, It only "downshifts less" because it is not upshifting at the correct time (for normal driving). And that is because the transmission thinks you are driving in the mountains.

Is the shift program for 1st to 5th gear changed at all by locking out O/D? I think it is, and to be fair to Steve, other manufacturers do refer to a program which holds lower gears longer, as SPORT. For instance BMW do this.

Cheers, Andy

Interesting bbf2530, I think you have contradicted yourself, and I would like to get to the truth, so not taking sides!

In post #8 you state, when you turn O/D (Overdrive) off, you change absolutely nothing in the shift program other than locking out Overdrive. It does not change the shift program in any other way.

In post #12 you state, It only "downshifts less" because it is not upshifting at the correct time (for normal driving). And that is because the transmission thinks you are driving in the mountains.

Is the shift program for 1st to 5th gear changed at all by locking out O/D? I think it is, and to be fair to Steve, other manufacturers do refer to a program which holds lower gears longer, as SPORT. For instance BMW do this.

Cheers, Andy

Hi carcondo. :D No contradiction, and if anyone wondering would simply read their Owners Manual it is clearly explained. And I certainly do not mind you asking questions since it was done in a polite manner. That goes for anyone. When I stated that it does not change the shift program, I was referring to the fact that it does not change the programming to a "Sport Mode" (or a "sporty" mode either).

I have copied and pasted from Ford's official literature concerning the 6F transmission, and the literature is similar for the Aisin transmission.

When you turn off O/D , the transmission will hold gears longer when you let off of the gas. In other words, it will not upshift as when it is in O/D, since by turning off O/D and engaging "Grade Assist", you are telling the transmission that you are driving up or down a large grades, mountainous roads. That is not a sport mode, and it is not "Sporty". It is used to slow down the car through engine braking. Quite the opposite of "sporty".

We can debate this back and forth for eons, or anyone wondering can simply look in their Owners manual for the correct information. As I copied and pasted earlier from Ford's literature, it is not a "Sport Mode" like a BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc etc.

It is clearly explained what the O/D button does and what "Grade Assist is for (if the name is not clear enough for anyone to understand). Again, I quote in the bold and underlined text below:

• Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D

to other gears. Examples: hilly terrain, mountainous areas and

when engine braking is required.

I am not sure how this can be any clearer. It is not a "sport mode". It is not for a "sporty feel". Whatever you want to call it, it is simply for driving on mountainous roads when added engine braking is needed. Added engine braking is obtained by keeping it in an artificially lower gear when your foot is off the gas. It is not to be used in normal everyday driving (unless you live in the Rockies :banghead: ), as it will lead to added wear and tear on your transmission and engine. Is there any particular reason not to believe Ford's own description of the system?

And let's not lose sight of why I replied in the first place, Stevea26 posted and told forum members, and I quote. "Try to drive with the O/D off. Its way different shift program. Kinda more sporty. The new ones dont even list it as "O/D off" in the IP it has a pic of a car going down hill. Whatever that means." As the information I have posted clearly explains, that should not be done, and is not what the O/D off function is for. So let's try to keep somewhat on subject as to what my replies are addressing.

Again, this is Ford's description of what their system does, so unless people feel that Ford does not know what they produce I am not exactly sure why it is still being debated (not by you carcondo, you are simply asking for clarification).

Just read the Owners Manual for corroboration. I have seen no information produced stating that Ford's information is incorrect, have you? Let's all be sensible for a moment, if someone produces written proof of a point, it is time to let it go. Well, the proof is here in writing. If someone disagrees, give back up evidence of the belief and I will be more than happy to read it in an unbiased manner. And as I explained to Steve, I treat people in a polite manner and expect the same treatment in return. There are already enough rude and sarcastic "debate champions" on the Internet.

Edited by bbf2530

bbf...You already changed you mind on this topic 2 or 3 times so lets just call it a truce OK. Give it a try and let me know what you all think. And thank you for all your post from the owners guide. However this forum is also about real world owners sharing there thoughts and experience. I am not right and you are not wrong because of what you believe. Its my opinion that the car feels more responsive with O/D off. If you don't agree then don't do it. No big deal, your owners guide does not change the way I feel about my car. So you need to give the owners guide a rest. If someone ask me what "I" think about something I will continue to give my honest OPINION about that topic IF I have real world owner experience and input that may or may not be helpful. If someone does ask me what page 325, paragraph 2, section 3 of the 2007 Ford Edge owners guide says... well I promise to send them your way. Otherwise lighten up buddy. And since my health care provider no longer covers therapy due Internet forums I'm going to have to call it quites on this one... Oh and :beerchug:

bbf...You already changed you mind on this topic 2 or 3 times so lets just call it a truce OK. Give it a try and let me know what you all think. And thank you for all your post from the owners guide. However this forum is also about real world owners sharing there thoughts and experience. I am not right and you are not wrong because of what you believe. Its my opinion that the car feels more responsive with O/D off. If you don't agree then don't do it. No big deal, your owners guide does not change the way I feel about my car. So you need to give the owners guide a rest. If someone ask me what "I" think about something I will continue to give my honest OPINION about that topic IF I have real world owner experience and input that may or may not be helpful. If someone does ask me what page 325, paragraph 2, section 3 of the 2007 Ford Edge owners guide says... well I promise to send them your way. Otherwise lighten up buddy. And since my health care provider no longer covers therapy due Internet forums I'm going to have to call it quites on this one... Oh and :beerchug:

Hi Steve. :D I will accept the truce as I am sure we both have better things to do. But let's not try to fog the issue by making false statements. My stance has been the same throughout our discussion. If you want a truce, make it a truce and not a firing of last shots. :redcard:

Since you expressed some last thoughts, so will I (but no cheap shots from me). I will again state that the information I provided was not from the Owners Manual (no matter how many times you try to say the opposite). It is from official Ford literature and shop manuals describing the function of the 6F (and Aisin) trans in the current Edge. And even if it was from an Owners Manual, that is certainly more reliable than a non-professional "opinion". My information is from Ford, not my "opinion". Yet it would seem you want people to take your "opinion" over Ford's official literature. That again, is your right.

But I feel the need to warn people not to do something that could damage their car. Once I do that, they are free to do as they please. That is their right, once all of the information has been presented.

And without going into needless and unverifiable detail, even my opinion would be a professional one. But I did not express my opinion, only quotes from official Ford literature (no not the Owners Manual :hysterical2: ).

And as I stated earlier, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as we all are. I am simply providing hard evidence to those who may wonder whether they should drive around with their O/D turned off in normal driving.

I provide that service so that they do not do something that may damage their transmission. I bring some real world experience to this subject, as I had a friend who drove around in normal day to day driving with O/D turned off (last year of Monte Carlo production, I believe a 2006 or 2007)) He soon had transmission trouble and his Warranty claim was denied when he innocently mentioned what he had done (drove all the time with O/D turned off for the "sporty" feel :banghead: ), since the transmission is not meant to handle that type of constant stress.

And if I ever need to send someone for an off the cuff opinion, I will certainly send them to you.

No hard feelings Steve. Or should I say lighten up buddy? :shades: (couldn't resist that, but I am just kidding)

Now that we have both fired off our last shots, shall we let the truce begin! :grouphug:

And good luck. :beerchug:

EDITED _ To add lots of fun little smiley icons. Just love those things!

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 year later...

All of the OD transmission banter aside, i have this same problem. I see that you had the problem a while ago, did Ford provide a fix?

Hi Hank. :D As you saw, this thread is almost year and a half old. The "hesitation" that sanche (the OP) felt he was experiencing was likely normal for the transmission.

Add to that the fact he/she has not been back often and your best bet may be to make a service appointment to have your concerns diagnosed and fixed if necessary. This would be especially true if your car is still under Warranty (Bumper to Bumper or Powertrain only)

Not trying to ell you what to do if you want to wait for an answer here, just trying to help you get your concerns addressed as quickly as possible.

Let us know how you make out.

• 1 month later...

Beerchug,

Thx for the response. I HAVE had the Edge in the shop 4 times. On the 3rd time they had the car for 3 1/2 weeks. A code diagnosis by Ford told them to change the ABS unit. The dealer told me that this could have something to do with the hesitation or lag. Upon return of the vehicle, the problem appeared to be slightly better at lower speeds but still absolutely terrible from 45-60. It did feel like the transmission shift points were tweaked a bit. So the 4th time I took it to another dealer for a fresh face to look at it without much luck. Mostly hearing from both dealers: its common for Edge's to do that, we noticed it but it really is not that bad, the service manager told me that he has an Edge and it does that too. Well it is bad and a very irritating problem. I only have 3000 miles on the car. I am going to file a Lemon Law claim because I cant drive this way for several years.

• 2 weeks later...

Beerchug,

Thx for the response. I HAVE had the Edge in the shop 4 times. On the 3rd time they had the car for 3 1/2 weeks. A code diagnosis by Ford told them to change the ABS unit. The dealer told me that this could have something to do with the hesitation or lag. Upon return of the vehicle, the problem appeared to be slightly better at lower speeds but still absolutely terrible from 45-60. It did feel like the transmission shift points were tweaked a bit. So the 4th time I took it to another dealer for a fresh face to look at it without much luck. Mostly hearing from both dealers: its common for Edge's to do that, we noticed it but it really is not that bad, the service manager told me that he has an Edge and it does that too. Well it is bad and a very irritating problem. I only have 3000 miles on the car. I am going to file a Lemon Law claim because I cant drive this way for several years.

And the REAL answer is...

Real time control of the ATF line pressure.

In most modern day vehicles the ATF line pressure is "relaxed" allowed to decline to a fairly low level, pressure only as needed and only at a level currently required.

When a shift is required, especially a quick return to acceleration just after an upshift due to entering cruise mode, the engine will be held at idle until the variable displacement ATF pressure pump can be moved to a high volume (HIGH pressure) position, and line pressure can build up to the higer level required to provide the downshift AND hold the downshift clutches TIGHTLY.

Think of the old constant volume power stearing pump, horrible waste of fuel to pump VOLUMES of fluid pressurized to 3000PSI only to dump it back into the sump. The new ATF variable displacement pump with real time pressure control system only pumps the volume of fluid required of the moment and has no method of predicting the future.

I truly appreciate the response. And it makes very good sense. Now what would the remedy be?

BTW, I finally got the attention of Ford and they are sending and engineer from Ford to take a look at the problem. If it is as you described, what do you thinlk he/she will recommend as a fix?

Thx

I truly appreciate the response. And it makes very good sense. Now what would the remedy be?

BTW, I finally got the attention of Ford and they are sending and engineer from Ford to take a look at the problem. If it is as you described, what do you thinlk he/she will recommend as a fix?

Thx

Hi Hank. :D That supposed "REAL answer" was nothing but an unattributed copy-and-paste stating that today's transmissions do not keep their internal pressure pumped as high as older transmissions, so there may be a hesitation during acceleration/gear kick-downs, since pressures must be increased before the transmission can react. That is what "The new ATF variable displacement pump with real time pressure control system only pumps the volume of fluid required of the moment and has no method of predicting the future" means when explained in simpler terms.

Therefore, you had better hope that the Ford Engineer does not see it the same way as wwest described. To put it bluntly, if the Ford Engineer does see it the same way, he will tell you there is nothing wrong with your car and go home.

Of course, anyone who wants to wisely advise you would not copy-and-paste a vague/general answer concerning modern automatic transmission pressures. Especially one which tells you (to paraphrase his copy-and-paste), "This is the way your transmission is designed to work and there is nothing that can be done about it. So to learn to live with it.".

An individual who was truly interested in helping you would advise that if you feel you have a transmission issue, you should have the transmission checked by your Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Dealer, especially if the vehicle is still under Warranty. If it is operating properly, you will be told so. If not, it can be properly diagnosed and repaired. It is simply impossible for anyone to determine over the Internet whether your concern is normal or not. And due to the complexity of today's vehicles, a proper diagnosis may take more than one visit. And you may need to try another Dealership if you are not happy with the service from yours.

To put it mildly, wwest has some very "unique" ideas concerning automotive science and many members here have been dealing with correcting the hit-and-run damage he causes for some time now. I would be wary of someone who feels that they can diagnose your possible transmission issues with a copy-and-paste from an unnamed source which does not answer your actual question, all without ever seeing or laying hands on your transmission. And that, according to him, is the "REAL answer". It's a miracle! :banghead::hysterical:

Or, to directly quote two other relatively sane members (are any of us really? :hysterical: ) of the Edge Forums concerning another of his "opinions" (in this case his thoughts on the EcoBoost technology):

- "He doesn't have any valid points, just lunatic rants. He hates ecoboost technology, thinks it's safer to use summer tires in the dead of winter and thinks a FWD based AWD vehicle is a patently unsafe deathtrap. Just ignore him."

- "wwest is a cancer that is all over the internet. It's best to avoid his posts, they're nonsense."

The actual thread can be found here: 2011 Ford Edge Debuts 2.0L Turbo Eco Boost . If you surf the sub-forums a bit for his posts, you will find many other opinions that agree with the two above. You would be wise to take their advice.

Anyway, please let us know the Ford engineers diagnosis.

Edited by bbf2530