a to-do list edge 2012

Welcome to the Forum!

Input you Edge's VIN into this Ford website to determine if your Edge has any outstanding Field Service Actions, looking especially for 13N02 Brake Booster Extended Warranty coverage, which may be expiring soon for many vehicles, based upon new vehicle purchase date. 

If 13N02 is not listed, then your Edge has already received a new Brake Booster after the failure of the originally-installed component, so that's good news.

The following is a PDF download link to the document sent to original owners - 13N02 - Brake Booster Warranty Extension - 2010 thru 2013 Edge and MKX.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

Drop by you local dealer and ask them to printout whatever maintenance history on file with Ford. Granted the previous owner(s) may have used non-Ford service, or even did his own; but a well-cared for Ford is usually serviced through the dealership for the first few years, and the service history will be on file.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

ditto on maint history

you can also download it through ford pass.

our 2012 was purchased with 50k miles on it in 2019.  we bought a FORD ESP warranty  /  3/36

i had the coolant flushed and new put in.  trans also flushed and new fluid.

that was first up . then i had a brake master cylinder thing replaced under customer campaign. as no body could say if it was done or not.   we were having loss of brake pressure.

then my wife has driven it and we just turned over 80k miles , it has had regular oil changes, two new front struts under ESP  FORD warranty,  a rear camera under warranty and i just bought another 3/36 ford esp warranty to carry it through 110k miles, it was actually cheap, less than 1200 dollars and 100 deduct.

2 weeks ago i had all brake pads changed, and new rotors on rear and turned the fronts at ford and some caliper things were covered under warranty  we think they were original brakes on rear.  no record of them being changed at a ford place

we have had ZERO mechanical issues,  car runs great and gets 21.6 mpg at real texas speeds 75mph or more.

doing new cabin sound deadening next week and ordered new front seat skins (katskins) seats are starting to show wear lines

my wife loves it, she had a 1st gen when they came out.

this one is tri color white limited.

i did put new tires on it last feb as we had 24k on the coopers and they were getting harsh with the ride

i have two small places on fender from rock chips that need painting,

i really need to find 2 replacement chrome pvd wheels, as she wont let me put aftermarket wheels on it.  the chrome is peeling in a few places real small

next big ticket is replacing spark plugs, been quoted 700 because the intake has to come off to reach the rear plugs, and of course that means all new seals and o rings on the intake and a few new vacuum lines and i figure replace coil packs while its torn down.

Edited by 2nd Edge
  • Like 1

Great write up. Change the PTU if your is AWD. 

We drive about 75 around here in rural Indiana as well. Really pisses off the local sheriff, but there's only three of them on duty to cover the entire county so .....

Mine is the Platinum White as well. Looks absolutely beautiful in the sunlight. Different shimmers of color waving through the paint. Love it. But lookout when you need to get it touched up at the body shop. Expect to pay 3x cost of plain white. I'm having a scratch repainted in my front bumper cover. Jeesh. The gotta pull the bumper cover off to refinish it properly. (Had the back done couple of years ago). And big rust spot on black strip that runs along side the BAMR. The will only replace the strip (backorder, unknown when) due to being able to warrantee it. Plus have one, tiny, tiny door ding fixed. Think it would be cheaper to put a new engine in the car. You wouldn’t believe how much for paint (no I'm not going to tell you. Hundreds). 

I needed a new 2009 chrome rim for my MKX last year. The quoted $700 or $800 (don't remember the exact amount). I asked them if they woud order at their cost plus 10%. They did. Never hurts to ask. 

BTW, I still have a Ford PremiumCARE warranty on my 2009 with 130k miles. Runs out next year. Have always been under Ford warranty. Replaced the PTU,  and suspension parts. Stuff adds up. Even a vacuum line break can cost $200-300. (Had it happen). Next time go online and get quote from Levittown Ford. Print it out and take to dealer and get them to match. Save hundreds. Then ask for $0 deductible if you have all service done at their shop. They'll match. (He'll add it on as a separate add-on). 

Definitely have the plugs serviced around 80-90 k miles. Think I paid ~$650 when I had it done, so the price is online. One of those "pay me know or pay me, more, later" senerios. 

One way to sneak by on the chrome wheels until you get replacments, is to patch over the pealed areas wil chromed HVAC tape. If done carefully, can't be seen until you get up close. (I fixed road rash on mine using this trick. Really had to see unless your looking for it.)

• Like 1