2016 Edge - A/C water Drain location?

Does the Gen2 Edge have an A/C water Drain location? I don't see water dripping even though it is quite humid nowadays. Also couldn't find a drain pipe looking under the vehicle.

I want to check for blockage as I am getting a slight mildew smell sometimes when the A/C starts blowing, however all the carpet inside is dry. My other car, the MKS, drips large puddles of water, as does most vehicles I see on the road.

Surprisingly, it appears from the 2016 Edge/2016 MKX Workshop Manuals and also from Ford's FordParts website, that no drain tube is installed.

Component descriptions and removal & installation procedures (attached as PDF download links below) from the Workshop Manual contain no mention or illustration of a drain tube...

Climate Control System - Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC) - System Operation and Component Description - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heater Core and Evaporator Core Housing - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Evaporator - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Evaporator Inlet and Outlet Manifold - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW-324PS) - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heater Core - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Additionally, the illustration of the Heater Core and Evaporator Core Housing (19B555) and associated parts on the FordParts website shows no drain tube...

398450861_HeaterCoreandEvaporatorCoreHousing(19B555)andassociatedpartsontheFordParts.jpg.579bbc4f3a6338f3ebbb1067914f392a.jpg

In contrast to these 2016 Edge/MKX resources, the GEN1+ 2014 Edge Workshop Manual includes a Climate Control Housing illustration which calls out and includes its drain tube part number...

567583716_HeaterCoreandEvaporatorCoreHousingIllustrationwithDrainTubeCalloutPartNumber-2014EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.0a9d6a7fe57daceaabd192b758d0a0ce.jpgdetail 

Also, Workshop Manual removal and installation procedures detail the removal of the drain tube prior to removal of the larger housing component.

Additionally, the FordParts website includes an image of the built-up housing assembly clearly showing the drain tube (red arrow) described above...

614851547_2014EdgeHeaterCoreandEvaporatorCoreHousing(19B555)ImageontheFordParts.thumb.jpg.35311a9abe9298dfdcd8eca43f51012e.jpg

Searching FordParts with 2016 Edge as the target vehicle for the 19728 Drain Tube yields 'This part does not match your vehicle', while designating the part number fits 2007-2014 Edge and 2007-2015 MKX.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Haz for your usual detailed reply. Reading you reply had me wondering what the evaporator assembly housing looks like (P/N: K2GZ-19B555-BG), so I found a few on sale on eBay (example 1, example 2) and it sure seems there is a drain location built into the assembly housing, just apparently it would drain directly without going through a "drain pipe or hose", hence the no-part available for it. Also from the pictures it seems to be located below the heater inlet/outlet pipes. Have attached photos with arrows pointing to where I think it is. Will try to search again in below the heater pipes. My doubt is that the water drips on to the exhaust/catalyst heat shield, then is absorbed in to it and evaporates before dripping.

The P/N of the housing is the same for 2015-2021 Edge and 2016-2020 MKX/Nautilus. Can anyone confirm if their Edge/MKX/Nautilus from those years drips water from the A/C?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have seen water on the ground only once. Other wise I do not, and I check often because I have thought about the same thing. One thing I try to do if I'm parking the car for the day is to run the fan on high with a/c off for a few minutes before shutting the engine off. Sometimes I think I smell something but not sure. Kind of a "musty" smell?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Isn't the drain located in the engine compartment (in the firewall). 

The smell is probably from mold. Once you locate the drain and clear it, consider spraying kool it into evaporator case. Kills bacteria. Easy to do, just shove a tube through the center vent and spray.

https://a.co/d/hkyf6rT

Also don't forget to change the cabin air filter. 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Update.

Cooling performance was reduced, so dealer eventually diagnosed it as a leaking evaporator. Currently at the dealer of replacement. So the smell was probably of the leaking A/C gas.

Once they remove the evaporator, and before re-assembly, I plan to take a look where the drain hole is.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Update2.

Dealer replaced the evaporator. It is heartful to see the dash fully removed and knowing it probably won't return to the way it was. Got a few pictures. The drain location is right in the middle, seems to drain over the insulation that is above the PTU/Exhaust.

2030205837_Drain(1).thumb.jpg.380e97c92cf7dd0621fc2ad271bb6e58.jpg

1236735771_Drain(2).thumb.jpg.33771b5fe744785ebe51ddf075343b27.jpg

Old Evaporator:

Evaporator.thumb.jpg.c3a29b651d41c82a4217d8b76afde975.jpg

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

Great pictures. I was surprised that they took the passenger door off. Also surprised that the drain drains directly below the car, over the PTU and exhaust (turns to steam). 

Scary to think that it will all get back together properly; but it will. These guys are pros. (Now if I were to do it, the steering wheel would in up in the back seat and I'd get the passenger on backwards). 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Haz said:

In the cooling component location for the 2.7L, hot market AWD, item#31 (named transmission cooler) looks similar to the Transmission fluid "warmer".  Wonder if it's the same item but called different. 

Engine Cooling - Component Location 27l.pdf

For the sake of continuity, I checked the 2015 North American Edge Workshop Manual for "Hot Market" and was presented the Engine Cooling diagrams you shared.

Next I accessed the 6F50-6F55 Transmission Cooling section, and the documents I shared are also in the 2015 Workshop Manual.

I join you in believing the warmer/cooler component is the same in each category of Engine Cooling & Transmission cooling context, given this description I didn't previously include...

Transmission Cooling - Overview

The transmission fluid cooling system consists of the following:

• An oil-to-air transmission fluid cooler integrated with the A/C condenser
  • A transmission fluid cooler bypass valve
  • If equipped, a transmission fluid warmer
  • Tubes to all fluid to flow to the various components

The transmission fluid flows from the transmission to the cooler bypass valve. When the transmission fluid is below normal operating temperature, the bypass valve directs the flow back to the transmission. When the transmission fluid is at or above normal operating temperature, the bypass valve directs the flow through the transmission fluid cooler, which transfers heat from the fluid to the air passing over the cooler. The transmission fluid then returns to the transmission.

The transmission fluid warmer optimized transmission fluid temperature. The transmission fluid warmer transfers heat either from the coolant to the transmission fluid or from the transmission fluid to the coolant. If equipped, the transmission fluid flows through the warmer. When the coolant is warmer than the transmission fluid, heat is transferred from the coolant to the transmission fluid, warming the transmission fluid quickly to improve efficiency. When the transmission fluid is warmer than the coolant, heat is transferred from the transmission fluid to the coolant, providing additional transmission fluid cooling.

As I prepared to upgrade the engine & trans cooling on our 2015 MKX to Tow Package capability, the tow package radiator was also characterized as being part of the high ambient temperature package, presumably the Hot Market spec. I had them install an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler in front of the AC condenser to supplement the condenser's dual AC/trans fluid cooling role.

Thanks for the document you shared and good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1