Rear thumping/rattling sound

IM4NC

I have a 14 Edge Sel and have a thumping/rattling sound when going over bumps from the right side. I was told it was a shock so replaced it. Didnt go away. Had it in the shop for another issue and the said samething. Replaced shock again and still have noise. Was told maybe a sway bar link. I added a sound clip of the noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Voice 001-1.m4a

Edited by IM4NC

Sorry, misread your post as shock meaning strut. (Duh).

It may sound silly, but have you checked is there's anything lose in the spare tire well. I used to carry my trailer hitch ball and bracket back there and had a simular rattle when going over bumps. Possly the spare tire and jack assembly is loose?

At this point I'd jack up the right rear and start shaking everything. Grab the tire at the top and shake it in and out to test the bearing. Shake to shocks and give the a good yank. Shake everything. Twist the rear axle (if AWD) to test the inner works of the axle.

(BTW, you mentioned "shock" singular. Shocks are always changed in pairs).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jljbtm said:

so rather than chasing after parts I took it to the dealer to have them investigate for ($69) the mechanic surprised me and said it was the rear shock??? and he can replace them for $500+

Ouch. Considering that Motorcraft shocks sell for less than $70/ea and labor is 1 hour, this place is really padding the bill. If it were me, I'd ask for an itemized estimate just to see how they are justifying such a high price. 

They must be replacing more then just shocks for such a ridiculous quote.

• Like 1