Remote Start

Ky Bob

I called my dealer and they quoted $500!!! Would an aftermarket remote starter void the warranty? The guy I spoke with told me that it would not but I tend not to trust car salesman..... :yup: :yup:

Ā 

Hi Ky Bob. :D $500 is too high. You should be able to purchase the Ford starter and have it installed for less than $400, at the most. Shop around at a few other Dealerships. You can use Ford or Lincoln-Mercury Dealers.

Ā 

Concerning the question of "Would an aftermarket remote starter void the warranty?" Well maybe yes, maybe no. Just having an aftermarket starter installed would not void any area of your Warranty. However, if you should later have any sort of problem (electrical or otherwise) that can even remotely be traced back to the aftermarket remote starter or the quality of the installation, then the answer would be yes. Any problem that can be related to the aftermarket installation in any way may be used to void Warranty coverage for the problem it may have caused.

Ā 

Of course, this depends on the attitude of the Dealership, the severity of the problem, what time the high tide is that day, etc etc. In other words, some Dealers are tougher on the customer than others concerning aftermarket parts and modifications. And of course, Ford has its say also. So if Warranty work needs prior approval from Ford, there is also the chance their Regional Representative may deny coverage.

Ā 

On the other hand it will not completely void your Warranty. Any problems that are not related to the remote starter would still be eligible for Warranty coverage.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...

Yes the original key fob will work. I have a 2007 SEL Plus and had my Ford dealer install the remote starter using my key fob. The range will be limited to how far you can lock and unlock your car doors or activate the horn with your present key fob. I wound up replacing mine for another set of key fobs just for the remote start (yes it is a pain to carry both)

Edited by tpm419419

I had an aftermarket starter (Viper) installed. It is two-way and works within 2000 feet. The two-way tells me when the car is starting or stopping, the temperature inside the car, and the time remaining on the timer. I can also activate the rear defroster from the remote. $375

Ā 

You can use it to control other things, like turning on your heated seats, lock/unlock doors, etc. I didn't have those things installed.

Ā 

Go with aftermarket and have it installed by a reputable installer. You get much more for your money.

• 3 months later...
is there any remote starter which will turn on the AC when the engine starts

Ā 

Hi zamboyz. :D Yes, essentially they all will. If you want the A/C (or heat) to come on when you remote start, you simply leave the A/C (or heat) on when you turn the car off and get out beforehand. Then when the car is remote started, the A/C (or heat) will turn on, just as it normally would if you started the car while in it.

Ā 

Had remote start on our first EDGE and loved it. I would only recommend using OEM Ford Remote Start as using aftermarket remotes starts/installations can be scary!! I had my cousin who is a Ford Certified Mechanic install it. Our 08 Limited didnt have it but i am in the process of purchasing another Ford remote start and having my cousin install it again. He did tell me that if you have the auto climate option you can have the remote automatically start the ac/heater whenever needed. I will post once its installed and let everyone know if this is true.

Ā 

J

Hi zamboyz. :D Yes, essentially they all will. If you want the A/C (or heat) to come on when you remote start, you simply leave the A/C (or heat) on when you turn the car off and get out beforehand. Then when the car is remote started, the A/C (or heat) will turn on, just as it normally would if you started the car while in it.

Ā 

• 4 years later...

Hey, guys, just picked up my 2009 used Edge, there's a paper tag in the console referencing a remote start switch but I don't know where the actual switch would be?? Also, I didn't get a remote other than the regular two button key. How can I see if I actually have the remote start installed? Thanks in Advance.

Nevermind, found it! Works great here in NY!

Edited by b1gbleu
  • Like 1