Transmission upgrade?

Sjej

Are there any well known transmission upgrades for a 2010 Ford Edge FWD? Doing some research the Ford Edge seems to have a bad transmission and it would be the “weak link” if I chose to turbo the car or modify it. So in that case, I would like to find and buy a new one. That, or get a custom one. It’s not cheap, but I’d rather get it over with. Does anyone know of a place that offers transmissions built better then the factory trans or places that’ll build custom transmission for this car?

• Like 1

The tranny is custom to the engine and model. Doubt you would find any aftermarket unit that would work. 

What's wrong with yours? Used would run $1,500+labor, rebuilt probably $2,500+labor, new probably $5-6,000.

Tranny isn't all that bad in my opinion, slow down shifts but reliable (if fluid is changed on a regular basis; 30k).

• Like 2

Go ahead and put on the turbos. Part of hot rodding is finding the weak link.  No need to pay to fix a trans that is not broken.  Run the heck out of it, get your moneys worth, and then or if it brakes at that point you will know what part of the trans needs to be beefed up. Another old hot rodding tip don't over do your daily driver, keep it safe and reliable. Save the all out effort for the weekend warrior. If you are on a budget and who is not these days you might find the performance you desire by selling the 2010 and up grading to a used Sport or ST. The cost of new turbos on a non turbo car and a new trans might cost as much as a new ride. Something to think about. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 2:43 AM, enigma-2 said:

The tranny is custom to the engine and model. Doubt you would find any aftermarket unit that would work. 

What's wrong with yours? Used would run $1,500+labor, rebuilt probably $2,500+labor, new probably $5-6,000.

Tranny isn't all that bad in my opinion, slow down shifts but reliable (if fluid is changed on a regular basis; 30k).

That's interesting. Expensive too, good to know

On 10/12/2022 at 12:09 PM, Xtra said:

Go ahead and put on the turbos. Part of hot rodding is finding the weak link.  No need to pay to fix a trans that is not broken.  Run the heck out of it, get your moneys worth, and then or if it brakes at that point you will know what part of the trans needs to be beefed up. Another old hot rodding tip don't over do your daily driver, keep it safe and reliable. Save the all out effort for the weekend warrior. If you are on a budget and who is not these days you might find the performance you desire by selling the 2010 and up grading to a used Sport or ST. The cost of new turbos on a non turbo car and a new trans might cost as much as a new ride. Something to think about. 

I agree with that, a newer ST would be nice. Although I would probably take a focus because of the manual transmission if I were to change the cars out. Does the newer edge have a manual mode or paddle shifter?

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:33 PM, Xtra said:

The 2016 to 2018 Sport and I think even the 2015 Sport as well all have 6 speed trans with paddle shifters. The 2019 to 2022 ST all have paddle shifters and I think 8 speed transmissions. I would double check before buying to confirm. 

Are they good? I've heard mixed opinions on them, but the new ford edges look SO god damn nice

• Like 1

12 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I'd be concerned about how much software programming changes you'd have to do to the TCM when introducing a different transmission. Where would you even get the necessary information?

A lot for sure, definitely not worth it. I don't think you can even get that info too

4 hours ago, Sjej said:

Are they good? I've heard mixed opinions on them, but the new ford edges look SO god damn nice

They work but nothing like a dual clutch transmission does. The Sport and ST transmissions can be programmed to give different shift feel from hard to butter smooth. I use mine on occasion to short shift on the street to keep out of high RPM when doing a jack rabbit start to 50mph or so. I try to shift at peak torque not peak HP sometimes. 

17 hours ago, Xtra said:

They work but nothing like a dual clutch transmission does. The Sport and ST transmissions can be programmed to give different shift feel from hard to butter smooth. I use mine on occasion to short shift on the street to keep out of high RPM when doing a jack rabbit start to 50mph or so. I try to shift at peak torque not peak HP sometimes. 

Would be cool if paddle shifters could be installed on a car that did not come with them. Maybe there’s a way, but it wouldn’t be worth it