2013 3.7 Sport - Power Steering Leak & Pump Refurb

Miner

Firstly, apologies as I am not on here much... more often on the UK KTM forum ☺️ and more recently on the Ford Raptor Forum ? but at 281k km the Edge Sport is still going strong apart from old age related issues an Tourette's inducing trips to the local dealer...

Car has clearly been leaking power steering fluid for a long time, after topping up from half full the noise on full lock has gone... I'm amazed that its taken Ford that long to spot it as they don't miss much or an opportunity to recommend to replace everything end to end. They say its leaking from the pressure hose but also from the pump and due to the age of the car, I should replace both.  Took it to an independent place who want to do and charge the same amount as Ford themselves, which is a no from me also.  If I'm paying through the nose I'll take it to the dealer as its 5mins walk from work. 

Hose leakage is common I believe due to the ends perishing, replace or find a local place that does hydraulic hoses to refurb/re-make (was quoted 35d for parts) is my preferred option. 

Pump leakage is also not uncommon I believe, it is not leaking from the shaft seal that I can see though.  I have had a look at pictures of the pump and its of flanged construction, assume the gasket/seal has perished.  Are there any kits out there (like Gates) for refurbishing these?  Are pattern items worth bothering with? (my experience with these is >15yrs old... a lot has moved on from there).  If its just perished seals on the flange, I would really grudge buying a new pump.  Had a look online but couldn't see a kit for this pump though (will keep looking though). 

Another 35d lead time and a salty $300 for a new pump... with further mark-up from the local dealer/garages.  I have access to our sister business which refurbishes industrial pumps, I may strip it and take it there or may strip it myself and rebuild it wish new seals.  There's plenty of options locally for buying seals, etc from the oilfield industry suppliers.  

Feedback, advice and experience welcome. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here in the states Amazon sells an    aftermarket unit for $150 (US). (Didn't check the UK site).

Re: Power Steering Pump For Ford Edge V6 & Lincoln MKX 2011 2012 2013 2014 - BuyAutoParts 86-03127AN New https://a.co/d/5Ur6lcs

Motorcraft price is around $370 US.

Checked for pump rebuild kits, they run around $20 (US), but nothing for 2013 Ford Edge.

I spoke too soon. There's a seller on Ebay that has a kit that reportedly fits a 2013 Ford Edge Sport power steering pump.

Sells for $25 (US). Ships worldwide. Free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323624669321?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nunTiyyQTLq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Snv36mbbRk2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by enigma-2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for putting me onto that kit emigma-2, ordered it plus the other parts I need (pressure hose, CV boot kit and hub nut) as new old stock.  715 AED plus what it takes to shop and ship.  140 AED for two litres of Merkon V.  Target for the repairs are not to exceed 6,500 AED quoted by ford... robbing beggars.  Will keep you posted... got axle stands and a trolley jack already, just ordered a dead blow hammer to help get the shaft off in case the others I have dont work... always handy to have. :)

• Like 1

When I get myself into some adventure in mechanics where I have no idea where I'm going, I've found that its a good idea to stop and take pictures at every step of disassembly.

After all, pix are free with modern cell phones, and you can always erase when done. (But when trying to remember which way the dookie hooked into the Frédéric, pictures are gold. Take lots of pictures).

• 5 months later...

Anyone rebuilt theirs and got pics from the strip down? 

Not a happy ending for this one… found the Kotek kit, didn’t pay enough attention during disassembly and had the pump in once, didn’t work… had it out, watched a good series of videos, put it back in, still not working. ?

Definitely had put the blades in the wrong way round in the pump… didn’t take enough care and attention with it, no clear baseline. 

Second time I flipped the spring valve round convinced I’d put it in wrong last time. Thinking valve down and spring up, it would lift if there was excess pressure and recycle to the inlet side… now I’m wondering if that was wrong too. 

Pretty bummed… had everything lined up, went to site for a few months and now wasted a weekend and a half rebuilding and stripping again. ?

On the plus side, new ball joints in, new brake pads and two fully rebuilt driveshafts, also a new shaft seal on the drivers side. Just no power steering. FML. Away to look at pumps now…. ???

The pump for my car which is a 2013 registered 2012 build is superseded by the corresponding banjo type hose updated pump, so bought one of the Cardone ones. 

https://www.cardone.com/product/power-steering-pump-21-4062

Will be here in a week, will get it in and hopefully that will get it back on the road again. Will keep the old one in vane hope of being able to rebuild it properly and keep it as a spare. ?? Ordered a bleeder cap and a new Mityvac kit, other one falling to bits. 

• 1 month later...