TSB 22-2181 - 2015-2017 Edge 2.7L EcoBoost, 2016-2018 MKX 2.7L EcoBoost + Other Models - Oil Pan Leaking

Haz

This bulletin supersedes 19-2332.

Model:

Ford
2015-2017 Edge
Engine: 2.7L
2017 Fusion
Lincoln
2017 Continental
Engine: 3.0L
2016-2017 MKX
2017 MKZ
Engine: 3.0L

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 19-2332 to update the part list.

Issue: Some 2015-2017 Edge, 2016-2017 MKX, 2017 Fusion/MKZ/Continental vehicles equipped with a 2.7L EcoBoost or 3.0L EcoBoost engine vehicles may exhibit an oil leak from the engine oil pan RTV seal. This may be due to a lack of RTV adhesion. This article includes detailed steps to achieve proper RTV adhesion. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the oil pan.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• One of the following vehicle lines:

- 2015-2017 Edge
- 2016-2017 MKX
- 2017 Continental/Fusion/MKZ

• 2.7L/3.0L engine

• Oil leak from the oil pan RTV seal

Parts

Service Part Number Quantity Description Unit of Issue Piece Quantity
KU2Z-6731-A 1 Oil Filter Element And O-Ring Seals 1 1
9W7Z-19B596-A 1 Seal Kit - A/C Compressor Gasket And O-Ring, 1/2 Inch (Edge/MKX) 1 1
DL3Z-19B596-B 1 Seal Kit - A/C Compressor Gasket And O-Ring, 5/8 Inch (Continental 2.7L) 1 1
DS7Z-19B596-A 1 Seal Kit - A/C Compressor Gaskets 8 mm, 1/2 Inch, 5/8 Inch (All Models) 1 1
HL3Z-19B596-A 1 Seal Kit - A/C O-Rings - 3/4 Inch, 1/2 Inch, 5/8 Inch And 3/8 Inch (Fusion/MKZ And Continental 3.0L) 1 1
W714265-S442 1 Left Catalytic Converter Nuts 4 2
BL3Z-9450-A 1 Catalytic Converter Gasket 1 1
FT4Z-6626-A 1 Oil Pump Seal 1 1
FT4Z-6675-C 1 Oil Pan 1 1
ZC-30-A As Needed Motorcraft® Gasket Remover    
ZC-31-B As Needed Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes    
TA-357 As Needed Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone    
XO-5W30-Q1SP As Needed Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (All Markets Except Canada)    
CXO-5W30-LSP6 As Needed Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada Only)    
PM-4-A As Needed Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner (Compliant With Low Volatile Organic Compound Requirements As Required In Some USA States)    
PM-4-B As Needed Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner (Not Compliant With Volatile Organic Compound Requirements)    
ZC-20 As Needed Motorcraft® Engine Shampoo and Degreaser (All Markets Except Canada)    
CXC-66-A As Needed Motorcraft® Engine Shampoo (Canada Only)    

Parts

Parts To Inspect And Replace Only If Necessary

Service Part Number Quantity Description
FT4Z-6A832-C If Needed Oil Filter And Cap Assembly Kit

Quantity refers to the amount of the service part number required to repair the vehicle.

Unit of Issue refers to the number of individual pieces included in a service part number package.

Piece Quantity refers to the total number of individual pieces required to repair the vehicle.

As Needed indicates the amount of the part may vary and/or is not a whole number. Parts can be billed out as non-whole numbers, including less than 1.

If Needed indicates the part is not mandatory.

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

Description Operation No. Time
2017 Continental 2.7L/3.0L EcoBoost: Inspect And Replace The Engine Oil Pan (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) (Can Be Claimed With D Or E And F) 222181A 3.2 Hrs.
2015-2017 Edge, 2016-2017 MKX 2.7L EcoBoost: Inspect And Replace The Engine Oil Pan (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) (Can Be Claimed With D Or E And F) 222181B 3.5 Hrs.
2017 Fusion 2.7L EcoBoost, 2017 MKZ 3.0L EcoBoost: Inspect And Replace The Engine Oil Pan (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) (Can Be Claimed With D Or E And F) 222181C 3.4 Hrs.
2015-2017 Edge, 2016-2017 MKX, 2017 Continental/Fusion/MKZ: Additional Time To Check And Correct Toe Vehicles Without Lane Departure 222181D 0.6 Hrs.
2015-2017 Edge, 2016-2017 MKX, 2017 Continental/Fusion/MKZ: Additional Time To Check And Correct Toe Vehicles With Lane Departure 222181E 0.8 Hrs.
2015-2017 Edge, 2016-2017 MKX, 2017 Continental/Fusion/MKZ: Additional Time When 360 Degree Camera Alignment Is Necessary 222181F 0.5 Hrs.

Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part: 6675
Condition Code: D8

Service Procedure

caution.gif CAUTION: 2015-2017 model year vehicles are not compatible with the press-in-place gasket oil pan. Installation of the press-in-place gasket oil pan results in engine damage.

1. Remove and discard the oil pan and oil pump seal. It is recommended to allow the crankcase to drain overnight to prevent contamination of the engine sealing surface. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01.

NOTE: Cleaning and preparation of the engine sealing surface is critical for proper adhesion of the new oil pan. Improperly cleaned and prepared sealing surfaces results in an oil leak.

2. Thoroughly clean the engine sealing surface using Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket Remover and a plastic scraper. Allow the gasket remover to set for several minutes after application to aid in removal of the RTV sealant.

(1). The engine block skirt stiffener sealing surface must be clean and free of any residual RTV. Do not use metal scrapers, wire brushes, or rotary tools of any type on the engine sealing surface. These tools damage the sealing surface including scratches or gouges that create leak paths. A second application of Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket Remover may be required.

NOTE: When cleaning the engine sealing surface it must be wiped clean using a lint free cloth. Spraying the surface with brake cleaner and air drying does not adequately remove the oil and other contaminates from the surface and may leave residue from the brake cleaner that may interfere with RTV adhesion.

3. Use a lint free towel and Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner to remove all residual sealant and oil from the engine sealing surface until a clean lint free towel no longer shows any residual oil when wiping the surface. (Figures 1-2)

(1). Use only Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner to clean the engine sealing surface. Some unapproved brake parts cleaners contain chemicals that inhibit RTV adhesion or may evaporate without removing all of the residual oil from the sealing surface resulting in a repeat leak condition.

Figure 1

imagen2.dll?id=E310184_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

Figure 2

imagen2.dll?id=E310185_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

NOTE: Motorcraft® Engine Shampoo and Degreaser removes residual brake cleaner which can cause RTV failure and prepares the surface for the Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes. The use of any other brand engine shampoo or engine cleaner can compromise the sealing surface and lead to failure of the RTV seal and a fluid leak.

4. Use Motorcraft® Engine Shampoo and Degreaser to clean the surface of any remaining oil contamination and prepare the surface for the Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes. Dry the surface with a lint free towel.

NOTE: Do not use Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes on the replacement oil pan. Using Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes on the oil pan contaminates the treated oil pan sealing surface causing reduced RTV adhesion and a potential oil leak.

5. Wipe the metal engine block skirt stiffener sealing surface using Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes. Thoroughly coat the surface with the fluid. Discard the wipes after a single use.

(1). Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes create a conversion coating providing an improved base for RTV sealing. The wipes use a water-based, slightly acidic solution that etches and bonds to the metal providing a microscopic layer for the RTV to adhere to. If the surface is oily, the solution beads and the surface is not properly treated. If the solution beads when applied to the sealing surface, clean the surface again and reapply the Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes. (Figures 3-4)

NOTE: If the sealing surface or an area of the sealing surface becomes contaminated after it has been prepared, use a lint-free towel soaked in isopropyl alcohol to clean the area. Prepare the area again using Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes.

Figure 3

imagen2.dll?id=E310186_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

Figure 4

imagen2.dll?id=E310187_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

6. Allow the surface to air dry for approximately 2 minutes.

(1). Do not dry the surface using any other method. Attempting to dry the surface may result in sealing surface contamination that may cause oil leaks.

7. Install the new oil pump seal. Refer to the WSM, Section 303-01.

NOTE: The oil pan must be installed within 10 minutes of applying the RTV.

8. Apply a 4.5 mm (0.18 in) bead of Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone to the new oil pan. The RTV bead must be applied to straddle the step chamfer and sealing face. (Figures 5-6)

(1). Using too little sealant may result in oil leaks and using too much sealant may result in oil contamination and engine damage.

Figure 5

imagen2.dll?id=E310188_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

Figure 6

imagen2.dll?id=E310189_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

9. Apply a 9 mm (0.35 in) bead of Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone to the engine front cover-to-cylinder block joint areas on the new oil pan as shown in Figure 5.

10. Install the new oil pan. Refer to the WSM, Section 303-01.

PDF download link... TSB 22-2181 - 2015-2017 Edge 2.7L EcoBoost, 2016-2018 MKX 2.7L EcoBoost + Other Models - Oil Pan Leaking.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have an appointment for next Monday for oil leak along with the shifter recall. I noticed oil on the oil pan when I changed the oil last Spring.

I should have stopped with the oil change and had it fixed, but decided to finish the oil change.
Since the oil was fresh, I wanted to wait as long as possible to get fixed.

Mine is a 2018 CPO. The comprehensive CPO warranty is up on Jan 18th, but I think this would fall under the drivetrain warranty anyway.

On a side note, it was good I changed the oil when I did (~5k miles).

When I pulled the oil filter out, the media had some tears along with the inner liner being cracked. Dealer was the last one to change the oil.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Got my Edge back today after being at the dealer for a week and 2 days.

Dropped off on Monday, Jan 16th at 7:30am, picked up yesterday (25th) evening.

Recall took a few hours, but they didn't get to diagnosing the oil leak until the next day.

Then they had to order the part, which was supposed to be in on Thursday, but was 'delayed due to weather'...we did have some snow, but not a lot.

Next, the tech assigned to it was sick and then supposedly got into a snowmobile accident over the weekend and service advisor was out on Monday.

So, finally, on Tuesday (24th), they were able to tear it down, install pan and let it sit overnight before refilling with oil.

I was able to borrow my dad's truck for most of that, but eventually the dealer gave me a loaner (for a whole day).

Out of pocket = $0 so at least that's good.

The worst part is the minimal communication. A courtesy call or 2 would have gone a long way, but I was hounding them for updates.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Forum!

For the TSB Service cost to be covered, per the TSB, some element of Warranty needs to be in force....

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

You may want to look at the mileage intervals of your Edge's past oil pan replacements, and then contact your dealer with your Edge's current mileage to get a cost estimate of performing the TSB Service without any Warranty coverage, to better inform your sell/keep decision -- or extend your ESP coverage before it expires.

Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SportS351 said:

I had my 4th oil pan put on my Edge in Jan.  My ext warranty is up at the end of March.  Will Ford continue to replace oil pans at their expense or am I stuck?  Need to make my decision to sell it or keep my Edge.

As far as I can tell those that have had their oil pans done correctly as per the procedure haven't had any issues, so I question the skills of your dealership.

It might also be a good idea to contact Ford Customer service and let them know your concerns and possibly with that on record it might be covered if it leaked again, and I'd definitely take a different dealership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haz said:

Welcome to the Forum!

For the TSB Service cost to be covered, per the TSB, some element of Warranty needs to be in force....

You may want to look at the mileage intervals of your Edge's past oil pan replacements, and then contact your dealer with your Edge's current mileage to get a cost estimate of performing the TSB Service without any Warranty coverage, to better inform your sell/keep decision -- or extend your ESP coverage before it expires.

Good luck!

Not sure why I never thought to try and extend my ESP warranty.  I actually didn’t think that they would but I contacted them after you gave me the idea and they will extend my warranty.  For a cost of course but I’m alright with that.  Thank you!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

As far as I can tell those that have had their oil pans done correctly as per the procedure haven't had any issues, so I question the skills of your dealership.

It might also be a good idea to contact Ford Customer service and let them know your concerns and possibly with that on record it might be covered if it leaked again, and I'd definitely take a different dealership.

They use the NHSTA fix for my Edge this time.  They took 4 days to replace it.  Really hope its fixed but the Ford Tech said its 50/50 wether its fixed or not.

I’ve been in contact with Ford and this is what they told me.

FAB7468A-B830-499A-A967-EF94A65E8FE4.jpeg

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, 1004ron said:

I have had an oil pan leak issue addressed by the stealership that I bought mine from, only to have the leak continue or recur depending on your perspective..

but then i question the skills (and more precisely, the integrity)  of all stealerships.. but not all techs. 

There are some talented techs out there, and some shit heels too. Roll the dice or fix it yourself.

last time I changed the oil, I put a socket on the pan bolts and gave them a little additional torque. 

when i change my oil this weekend, i'll see if it helped

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:36 PM, SportS351 said:

They use the NHSTA fix for my Edge this time.  They took 4 days to replace it.  Really hope its fixed but the Ford Tech said its 50/50 wether its fixed or not.

I’ve been in contact with Ford and this is what they told me.

FAB7468A-B830-499A-A967-EF94A65E8FE4.jpeg

That is just wrong...

• Sad 1

On 3/3/2023 at 6:04 AM, Cerberus said:

I have had an oil pan leak issue addressed by the stealership that I bought mine from, only to have the leak continue or recur depending on your perspective..

last time I changed the oil, I put a socket on the pan bolts and gave them a little additional torque. 

when i change my oil this weekend, i'll see if it helped

So I just did the spring oil change,  and there was still a significant film of oil on the rear side of the pan near the PTU,  but I realized I did not wash it down with brake clean after tightening the pan last time.. so I washed it down this time.

6Quarts came out and I don't recall adding any in the last interval, so if it is leaking it was not significant volume.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...