2019 Titanium Adaptive Cruise Brakes Hard For No Reason

waflyboy

So this has happened maybe 6-8 times over the last couple of months: driving on the highway, adaptive cruise set at approx. 75 MPH and the vehicle suddenly applies hard braking for no apparent reason. A few times there was a vehicle in my lane ahead, but >150 feet away with no obvious closure rate. Other times the nearest vehicle ahead is >1/4 mi away with no apparent safety concerns. It has happened occasionally with a vehicle ahead and in the next lane to the right, and mostly when driving east in the morning, with the sun in front of the vehicle and casting long shadows on the road.

I don't know if the ACC uses the camera, but I'll mention that I had the windshield replaced a few months ago. The windshield repair guy said that a recalibration was only needed if the vehicle gave a warning message indicating as such. However, the lane assist doesn't seem to work nearly as well since. And now I'm wondering if the ACC is affected.

I recently mentioned the issue to a service writer at the dealer, but they offered no help. Anybody have experience with this?

Edited by waflyboy

On 10/27/2022 at 4:10 PM, waflyboy said:

The windshield repair guy said that a recalibration was only needed if the vehicle gave a warning message indicating as such. However, the lane assist doesn't seem to work nearly as well since.

On earlier models (2015-2018) I know that replacing the windshield requires calibration for the camera. Not sure of newer models, however I guess they also will need calibration. I'd bet this is your issue since you issue started at the same time. 

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

From the 2019 Edge Workshop Manual, with emphasis added...

Camera Alignment

Camera alignment is required for the lane keeping alert and lane keeping aid to function correctly. The procedure is initiated using the diagnostic scan tool and requires about 10 minutes of driving above 64 km/h (40 mph) on a flat, straight road with highly visible lane markings to complete.

NOTE: The alignment completion is indicated on the diagnostic scan tool. If the alignment is unsuccessful, check the IPMA for proper installation.

NOTE: The FRONT CAMERA MALFUNCTION - SERVICE REQUIRED message in the IPC disappears when the system is aligned.

The IPMA camera alignment procedure should be performed when any of the following occur:

• Windshield replacement
  • Change in tire size
  • Suspension repair or alignment
  • Front air bag deployment

Component Description

IPMA

The IPMA is located on the windshield, below the interior rear view mirror. The IPMA communicates on the HS-CAN2 and on vehicles equipped with the adaptive cruise control and collision warning system, the IPMA shares information with the CCM on a dedicated CAN circuits to assist the driver in avoiding collision. The IPMA contains a forward-looking camera that is used to detect the position of the vehicle within the lane.

The IPMA requires PMI and camera alignment when replaced.

Component Location - Lane Keeping System

imagen2.dll?id=E289215_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

Item Description 1 IPMA 2 Lane Keeping System (LKS) switch

Good luck!

• Like 1