Hello... This Edge '17 Edge Sport headlight seem to be missing something. I have the DRL on no prob..However, that same bulb te runs the DRLs is a dual element. What is the other function of this bulb? I cannot figure out what the other element is for. It's not high beam since that works with the outermost LED light.

I'm referring to the 2 innermost halogen bulbs - see pic.

Also - how does the LED bulb get removed so I can clean the headlight lens from the inside? Its a bit foggy and it could use some cleaning.

Thanks

20221101_170056.jpg

I've done all the basics, such as turning on the brights. It's a verified dual element by removing it, and both filaments are good. There are three wires going to it, so it has a purpose I suppose.

The DRLs do come on with that bulb, but nothing else (that I can figure) turns on the other element.

My low and high beam (brights) work from the outer bulbs, which are HID according to the window sticker. That's the one I want to remove to clean the lenses, but I don't want to force it too much. I can't figure out what the locking or mount mech is for those.

On HID cars, the smaller filament is used for the DRL. With halogen lights, the smaller filament is still used for the DRL and the larger filament is then used as the high beam.

Apparently the larger filament is not used with HID headlights as its not needed.

To remove the HID headlight bulb, the process is described on page 287 in the owners manual (or near that page if you have a different edition). You may have to turn the locking ring with spirited anticipation to encourage its willing co-operation.

Remember to never touch the bulb glass with your bare fingies and, if you do, wipe the glass with alcohol prior to reinstalling. (This is true of HID and Halogen bulbs. The oil from your fingers will create a hot spot on the bulb and early burn out from overheating). I always wipe my bulbs with an eyeglass alcohol wipe during installation, just to be certain that no grungy factory worker had his/her greasy paws on the bulb prior to packaging.

Edited by enigma-2

On HID equipped 2015-2018 Edge the inner bulb is a H15 bulb with dual filaments. The low filament (15 watts if I remember correctly) is used for the DRL function, but the other filament is NOT used. Even the wiring is not connected. You will find only two wires on the bulb connector, ground and DRL. The high beam function is achieved by moving a shutter on the outer HID projectors (commonly known as bi-xenon). On non-HID 2015-2018 Edge that inner bulbs are 9005 utilized for high beams only. DRL function is achieved using reduced voltage (or some alternating current/voltage, don't exactly remember) on the low beam bulbs.

Also, those "outer" lights are HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights, aka Xenon lights, not LED. You cannot remove them for cleaning, unless you disassemble the headlight and then gluing it back together. It is possible, but not simple and you could end up breaking them.

• 1 year later...

As posted early on, I was not happy with the HID headlight illumination in my Edge Sport with HIDs. I wondered why Ford had not made use of the already provided high beam position and instead applied only a DRL function. It would have been so simple for them to keep it as a high beam and DRL.

So - This is a follow up to my previous post regarding how to make use of the existing H15 and HB bulb position as a high beam. After some initial looking into it, I  dropped the project due to time constraints, and I am now following up on it.

I was finally able to dig into this and complete the project and it works - Awesome!

Anyone who is not happy with the factory illumination from the HIDs headlights and the restricted DRLs now has a solution. And it is an awesome result and I am very happy with it.

The H15 LED must be a good quality one that has the LEDs lined up in the correct positions to match up to the H15 elements. And many of the newer LEDs now are doing this, so there are choices. Do no use just any H15 LED - this is critical to make proper use of the reflector in the headlight to the light disperses properly

I can see things now !

Attached is a document with detailed instructions on how to do this, and it is quite simple.

I hope this helps some.

Cheers!

2017 Ford Edge Sport DRL-High Beam Mod 02052024.pdf

Edited by Sunnyorlando
Updated document & verbiage
  • Like 1