Map pocket ambient lighting for 2018 Edge Sport?

I had a 2015 Edge Sport and now I have a 2018 Edge Sport. I have been noticing a few changes and I wonder if this is normal.

In looking at the ambient lighting, I notice on the 2018 that my map pockets (in the doors) are no longer illuminated. Is that right? My interior door handles ARE lit up, so I know there is power there. Should the door pockets be illuminated or did they remove that for some reason? Is there an option that wasn't checked to include map pocket lighting?

I also noticed that the big/deep center console location is lit up even with the lid closed (if headlights are on). On my 2015, the light would turn off as the lid was ALMOST closed. Did they save a few pennies by not having a switch?

Edited by bofus

On 11/12/2022 at 6:11 AM, bofus said:

Did they save a few pennies by not having a switch?

Probably yes,  a cost cutting thing. Just like how the small drawer on the left side was replaced with a simple cover (link to discussion). On my 2016, the ambient light is still there (door handle & door pocket).

On 11/11/2022 at 9:11 PM, bofus said:

I had a 2015 Edge Sport and now I have a 2018 Edge Sport. I have been noticing a few changes and I wonder if this is normal.

In looking at the ambient lighting, I notice on the 2018 that my map pockets (in the doors) are no longer illuminated. Is that right? My interior door handles ARE lit up, so I know there is power there. Should the door pockets be illuminated or did they remove that for some reason? Is there an option that wasn't checked to include map pocket lighting?

I also noticed that the big/deep center console location is lit up even with the lid closed (if headlights are on). On my 2015, the light would turn off as the lid was ALMOST closed. Did they save a few pennies by not having a switch?

They've continued to nibble away at little things, too.  My 2022 only has ambient in door handles, foot wells, and cup holders.  Door sill is no longer illuminated and no glove box light.  I would have gladly paid more if given the option, but it is what it is. 

I did notice the lack of the storage drawer and that they replaced it with a blanking plate. I used that location to put the key for the hitch pin when I have the bike rack on the car.

I am pretty sure that there was footwell lighting for the rear passengers (lights were in the seats and would match your ambient lighting color). It's just a black hole back there now. Were the rear map pockets also illuminated in the older car? I sold it the other day, so I can't go out and check it.

2 hours ago, Will2U said:

They've continued to nibble away at little things, too.  My 2022 only has ambient in door handles, foot wells, and cup holders.  Door sill is no longer illuminated and no glove box light.  I would have gladly paid more if given the option, but it is what it is. 

I do note that my door sills and glove box are illuminated. Really? No glove box light? Even my old civic had a glove box light in the 80s. Maybe it is burned out. Does your center console SUPER-deep cubby automatically turn off if you close the lid with the headlights on? Just be curious if this is normal. If not, then my OCD will get triggered and I'll rip the entire console out of the car to fix it. I'm weird that way.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, bofus said:

I do note that my door sills and glove box are illuminated. Really? No glove box light? Even my old civic had a glove box light in the 80s. Maybe it is burned out. Does your center console SUPER-deep cubby automatically turn off if you close the lid with the headlights on? Just be curious if this is normal. If not, then my OCD will get triggered and I'll rip the entire console out of the car to fix it. I'm weird that way.

Nope, they deleted the lighted door sills a few years back - it's solid metal now.  The glove box light was deleted in 2022.  The cubby in the console is not even lighted.  No telling what will be left in the 2023's.