2019+ PTU Wear is Different

colinc755

Hello everyone, 

I have been working on some 2019+ Edges and just thought I would share some observations that seem to really make this AWD system different. In case you are not aware, beginning with 2019 the Edge got a new AWD system that can completely disconnect the driveline in order to create more efficiency. In all the models up to 2018, the disconnect would happen at the rear diff rather than at the PTU. With this change allowing for less stress on the PTU, I have been noticing that PTU fluid changes are looking significantly cleaner on 2.0t models. I think it is safe to say that these units are getting much less wear and tear. I wouldn't advise not changing the fluid but for anyone that is looking at one of these used, I wouldn't be super concerned about the fluid history on the PTU as long you get it changed in a timely fashion.

Unfortunately, I have been seeing much more wear in the rear diffs though. I don't know if Ford made them weaker or its that new fluid spec causing it, but Ford is really making it hard to change the fluid for the rear diff by making it really hard to buy. Many dealerships don't stock the new "75W" fluid and the maintenance guide essentially says not to touch it unless there is an issue. 

All this to say, when it comes to 2019+ AWD vehicles the PTU seems to be less of an issue and the RDU seems to be weaker. Just something to lookout for as an owner of one of these. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Are you seeing actual wear in the rear diffs or just going by the fluid appearance?

Both. So I’ve worked about 5 19+’s in my town regarding AWD service (mind you it is hilly and we do get a lot of snow so AWD does get used a good amount). At around 50,000 miles the PTU fluid was still coming out rather clear with minimal flakes but the RDU was the opposite, pretty dark and flaked up. One of them even had significant grinding and vibration so it was sent to ford for a warranty repair. I’ve seen many 15-18s and on those RDUs the fluid always seemed rather fine. I’m not sure if it’s actually weaker or more of a unique case given the environmental conditions, but given that ford has doubled down on not touching RDUs by making fluid really hard to get, I don’t think it’s wise to not service them. That’s just my opinion from what I have seen and worked on. I’ll edit my post when I have time to make it more clear but I’m not advising that people change PTU maintenance patterns or anything, I just personally wouldn’t be worried about buying one with 50k on the odo and no history based on what I’ve seen (that is in terms of the PTU). 

Edited by colinc755
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, colinc755 said:

Both. So I’ve worked about 5 19+’s in my town regarding AWD service (mind you it is hilly and we do get a lot of snow so AWD does get used a good amount). At around 50,000 miles the PTU fluid was still coming out rather clear with minimal flakes but the RDU was the opposite, pretty dark and flaked up. One of them even had significant grinding and vibration so it was sent to ford for a warranty repair. I’ve seen many 15-18s and on those RDUs the fluid always seemed rather fine. I’m not sure if it’s actually weaker or more of a unique case given the environmental conditions, but given that ford has doubled down on not touching RDUs by making fluid really hard to get, I don’t think it’s wise to not service them. That’s just my opinion from what I have seen and worked on. I’ll edit my post when I have time to make it more clear but I’m not advising that people change PTU maintenance patterns or anything, I just personally wouldn’t be worried about buying one with 50k on the odo and no history based on what I’ve seen (that is in terms of the PTU). 

I changed my RDU fluid at 5000 kms and came out silver and still has flakes in it at 60,000, I'll be changing it again soon. Ford claimed it's from the housing. I'm just happy I did the first one early, can't see that much flake being good in there long term.

• Like 1