Sync/NAV updates gone haywire

Recently notified of both a sync and (free) NAV update for our Edge ST.  I've done these before, no big deal.  Installed the NAV update (completed successfully or so it said) then the Sync update (same completed successfully).  Did the open door, lock, close door wait, restart engine dance.  Now if I try voice commands she doesn't say anything like it used to before (please say a command), just a bong then if I try a command it says not available, complete your NAV update.  Tried re-doing the nav update even though the version shown is the updated one, goes through process, successful then same result.  Was hoping to avoid a factory reset since a) I don't know it'll fix the issue and b) will have to set everything back up again.  I see this is a somewhat common issue across their models but no fix other than a supposed blank map file which you then reapply the updates and hope for the best.  Anyone know a proper fix for this issue?  

I am new to the Edge, so since it is a 2019 or newer (ST), I think they all get updated to 3.4 of SYNC.

What year, what version of SYNC (2, 3), if SYNC 3 do you have 3.0, 3.3, or 3.4 or newer (the darker blue UI)?

My 2019 had 3.3 from the factory, never updated. It was the light blue UI similar to the 3.0 version in my 2017 Escape. I downloaded 3.4 and installed it, and it has done a few smaller updates via WiFi (WiFi didn't work to get version 3.4).

Since I don't use the built in NAV, I didn't check for map updates, they are not free (I don't have a subscription for them).

Edited by dabangsta

For anyone who runs into this issue in the future, here's what corrected it for me.

After the error I tried the power cycle/reset things to no avail.

I then reran the sync (not NAV) update to lay it over top of itself followed by power cycle and still no luck.

I forced a check update via wifi where it eventually grabbed one of the nav files (I'm guessing the damaged one during the failed update) but even after that it still didn't work.

I then re-applied the exact same NAV update as before, followed by power cycle and it's back.  My hunch is the OTA download fixed whatever junk file there was which in turn allowed the NAV reapplication to success this time (where before it said it did but still didn't work).  Either way, it's working again. ?

• 1 month later...

If you look at the instructions on the ford website, it says you are supposed to upgrade SYNC to the latest version prior to any Navigation updates.

That was likely your problem. I just did this on my new PreOwned 2019 Ford Edge ST as well all went smoothly in this order.

94688619_Screenshot2023-01-26at8_06_07PM.thumb.png.c338d712727a7285a3ec4315ada02472.png

Edited by DigiMax

Have you tried a soft reset?

Soft reset I think is FWD Seek (>>) button held and power button held for 5 seconds until the screen blacks out, then release.

Since all my time in SYNC is with Android Auto, I have never really tried the SYNC 3 voice commands. I did with my 2017 Escape that had the same version (up to 3.0) and I could get simple things like "Bluetooth Audio" to work, but never really did much else. If I would have played more music from a thumb drive I would have used it more, and I might with my Edge.

Welcome to the Forum!

This Special Service Message was released on December 23, 2021...

SSM 50375   2016-2021 Various Vehicles - Loss of Navigation Voice Prompts After A SYNC Map Update

Some 2016-2021 Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 may exhibit a condition where the navigation voice prompts are inoperative after a SYNC map update. This may be due to an incomplete installation of the SYNC map software. If possible, using the original USB that installed the update, reperform the update and verify the navigation voice prompts have returned. Multiple reboots are expected when this update is being performed. Verify the Installation Is Complete message displays in the touch screen. If the original USB is not available, go to website https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home or https://syncnavigation.com/lincoln/home to download the files once more for the affected vehicle. For further map update support, reference the FAQ section on these websites.

Additionally, the following SYNC-related Technical Service Bulletin was released on June 2, 2021...

Document download link> TSB 21-2175 - 2016-2019 Various Vehicles - SYNC 3 – Various SYNC Performance Related Concerns.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thx for the input.

I've tried the resets, hard and soft.

Troubleshoot with ford crc, no success.

Have tried breaking down files and doing component by component.

No luck.  I have an appointment at the dealer coming up but was trying to resolve on my own.

System say sync in at 3.0 but I don't see Android auto or Apple play in the update do not sure it is fully functional.

Looking at the ivsu screens, 2 files look yo be at at 1.0 level (gb5t-14g421 and 422).

Configuration status for navigation say it off. 

Phone works with hands free voice, but text messages won't play back.

Was looking for any info for file names version gor a successful info trying to determine what needs to get added back in.

Or, how to downgrade to 1.0 or 2.2.