HELP 2009 crank but wont start

yazan

How many miles are on it? Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to Run before attempting to start? In my experience with higher mileage EFI cars fuel pump has been to most common cause of this. My Grand Marquis gave me clues like longer to crank before starting, and not starting unless being jumped by an other vehicle or a jump box, but I kept driving it, and eventually it left me stranded. I got 199,000 miles out of that fuel pump, I wanted to get 200k but it decided otherwise. I only got 120,000 out of the fuel pump in my 1989 Cougar.

I am pretty sure that if it was an anti-theft/PATS/security issue that it wouldn't even crank, and when they pulled codes they would have gotten a security related one. If the code reader didn't complain about not able to access the PCM, then it likely has power.

With no key in, anti-theft should blink every 2 seconds. With key just turned to Run (before attempting to start), it should stay solidly lit for 3 seconds, then shut off. If it remains on, or blinks rapidly, then there is a PATS/SecuriLock issue.

The CEL/Check Engine Light/Service Engine Soon should be on solid when key is turned to on, and should remain lit while cranking, and extinguish once it is running. If it blinks or remains on after running...well, you aren't getting that far.

On 2/6/2023 at 3:53 PM, dabangsta said:

I am pretty sure that if it was an anti-theft/PATS/security issue that it wouldn't even crank, and when they pulled codes they would have gotten a security related one. If the code reader didn't complain about not able to access the PCM, then it likely has power.

With no key in, anti-theft should blink every 2 seconds. With key just turned to Run (before attempting to start), it should stay solidly lit for 3 seconds, then shut off. If it remains on, or blinks rapidly, then there is a PATS/SecuriLock issue.

The CEL/Check Engine Light/Service Engine Soon should be on solid when key is turned to on, and should remain lit while cranking, and extinguish once it is running. If it blinks or remains on after running...well, you aren't getting that far.

When I put a non-pats key in my 2010 SE, it will crank but will not start.

Edited by 1004ron

5 hours ago, EddieHudson said:

When I put a non-pats key in my 2010 SE, it will crank but will not start.

Then someone has bypassed that part of the passive anti-theft.

The PATS signal is needed for the ground signal to the starter relay, otherwise it shouldn't crank. This is what should happen:

Edited by 1004ron