Wipers don't sweep or park correctly after glass replacement

I had a large rock hit my windshield and had to have it replaced.  They said they "calibrated" everything and it seemed all worked fine.  Now each time I start the car, even with the wiper blades turned off, they bounce up a little bit like they are trying to adjust something in the parked position.  They never did that before.  Also, the driver's side doesn't sweep all the way up over to the edge of the windshield like it did before.  When I turn them off they seem to park ok, but I notice the driver's side parks touching the passenger side blade on one edge, which it didn't before.  

I thought these things would always correct themselves, but maybe the windshield installer didn't put the driver's side one on in the right spot on the spindle and this is causing the problem.  I called and they are going to come back soon to try to fix it.  The installer said he needs to "reset" the motor???  Is there such a thing?

Edited by 1004ron
Moved to new thread and deleted duplicate

I would deal with this when I would lift the wipers off the windshield of my 2017 Escape when washing it (can't do that with the Edge, they don't clear the back of the hood), and sometimes it would take 10 starts for them to stop adjusting. Same if they remove them to swap out the battery (you can remove the cowl do it, but then more often than not this happens).

The process is to have the wiper arms off the shafts, turn on the wipers and let the shafts cycle a few times then shut them off, then put the arms back on where they should be in resting position.

So yes, it is sorta a reset of the motor.

• Like 2

The following is a PDF document download link to the relevant section from the Edge Workshop Manual...

Windshield Wiper Pivot Arm - Removal and Installation - 2022-2023 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

It includes this guidance, which the windshield installer may not have done...

Installation

1. NOTICE: The ignition switch must be set to the ON position. Power is required to hold the wiper motor in the PARK position. No power or low battery voltage will allow the motor to move from the PARK position during the torquing operation resulting in incorrect wiper arm position.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks dabangsta and Haz.  I printed this and will make sure they do that tomorrow.  I could do it, but I'm going to make them do it since they got paid to do it.

The only odd thing is that the windshield doesn't have the aligner line slots like shown in the instructions.  Since the car was only 6 months or so old, they put in the OEM glass.  I checked and the FoMoCo part number was exactly the same as what was taken out.  I never saw those markings on the original one either.  Odd.

Edit: I did notice where those aligner slots are supposed to be there are horizontal slots that look like they actually have a sensor under them.  They align perfectly where the end of each blade should be, so it is clear they are incorrect now as the driver's side touches the passenger side blade as it is going too low in the park position. 

Edited by Davidoo
  • Thanks 1

Glad they took care of it. It gets crazy annoying watching them attempt to correct every start up.

I put mine in "service position" (swept up and then lifted on the glass) on my 2019 for its first serious wash, and it did self adjust the first start up, but that is it, so that is nice. They do work differently than my 2017 Escape did.

• Like 2

Now I've found 2 additional issues that I didn't have before the windshield was replaced and they connected their "calibration" computer to my system.  

1.  Each time I start the vehicle the radio comes on, even though it was manually turned off.  Never did that before.

2.  The auto start/stop no longer functions at all, even at times and places I usually drive when it worked before.  The little start stop icon is grayed out with a strikethrough.  I read in the manual that you could look at the start/stop information display screen and it would show the reason, but I went through every menu and couldn't find such a screen.  

Edit....I did some searching about the start/stop function and some said it wouldn't work if the battery is low.  I put a charger on the battery for a few minutes and now the function works normally.  Not sure why the battery would be low as I drove it this morning for quite a while and on the freeway as well.  I think I will make a thread in the correct forum for the radio starting each time on its own.

Dave

Edited by Davidoo
Updated as part of problem solved.
  • Like 1

The 2022 Edge Workshop Manual offers this Auto-Start-Stop operational description and lists the conditions under which Auto-Start-Stop will not function...

Auto-Start-Stop System

The Auto-start-stop system helps reduce fuel consumption by automatically shutting off the vehicle’s engine while the vehicle is at a complete stop and restarting the engine when the brake pedal is released. The system can be disabled through the auto-start-stop control switch on the instrument panel centerstack. The Auto-start-stop system is automatically enabled whenever the ignition is turned on.

The engine automatically restarts when:

• the brake pedal is released.
  • the Auto-start-stop system is disabled through the auto-start-stop control switch on the instrument panel centerstack.
  • the battery has a low state of charge.
  • it is necessary to maintain interior comfort.
  • the blower fan speed is increased or the climate control temperature is changed.
  • an electrical accessory is turned on or plugged in.
  • there is low brake vacuum.

The Auto-start-stop system may not turn the engine off under these conditions:

• the HVAC system is in A/C, heat or defrost modes.
  • the rear defroster is on.
  • the battery has a low state of charge.
  • the battery temperature is below 5°C (41°F) or above 60°C (140°F).
  • the engine temperature is below 46°C (115°F).
  • the engine temperature is below 60°C (140°F) and the HVAC system is in heat mode.
  • the gear selector is not in Drive or Sport Mode.
  • the steering wheel is turned rapidly or is at a sharp angle.
  • vehicle speed of greater than 4 km/h (2.5 mph) for more than 2 seconds has not occurred.
  • the vehicle is on a steep road grade.
  • elevation is approximately above 3,048 meters (10,000 feet).

Good luck!