Help with timing

sid660raptor

4 hours ago, sid660raptor said:

I got 1 finally,next problem is where are the exact location of power steering pump mounting bolts located?? 

For SteeringPump on RightUpperRear of V6~3.5L~DOHC EngineBlock, there are

* 3ea MountingBolts 10mmHexHead, Torq@020nm=015pf=0180pi

* 1ea HiPressureHoseConnection 17mmHexHead, Torq@025nm=018pf=0216pi With CuWasher

* 1ea LoPressureHoseConnection FactorySpringClamp or AfterMarketWormClamp

* 1ea PressureSwitchElectricalConnection

Not easy to get at with Engine in vehicle;

easier with IntakeManifold removed or

easiest with access hole cut thru RightFront WheelWell behind upper Skirt (done several years before to access rear OxSensors).

Pics below of

* SteeringPump, Left & Right Views

* EngineBlock Rear View; SteeringPump MountingBolts are on UpperRight of 2nd Pic Below, TopBolt is just off screen

2008.Ford_Strg.Pump_Ford.8t43-3a696-aa.GIF

2008.Ford_Engi.Rear_WOut_Mtng+Axle+PTUx.GIF

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2023 at 11:03 AM, sid660raptor said:

Also everyone say to replace timing chain tensioners,can I get away without replacing them rn??

Removing the Guides+Tensioners will be required since you're removing+renewing TimingChains,

you can "get way without replacing" Tensioners, but common sense tells me you should renew them.

Each NEW Tensioner has a "GrenadePin"; kept in place until after Chain+Guides+Tensioners are installed,

then GrenadePins are removed allowing Tensioners to put full tension on Chain+Guides;

OLD\Factory Tensioners obviously do NOT have GrenadePins in place as they were removed at the factory,

so just finding\making NEW Pins is a problem if trying to reuse OLD Tensioners.

Personally bought a Cloyes kit at a good price & renewed all TimingComponents (Chains,Guides, Tensioners, Sprockets)

except for 2 larger CamSprockets which cost several hundred $s alone (were in good condition, so left originals in place);

also renewed VVTSolenoids & swapped old OilPump to HiVolume Melling OilPump along with failed PlasticImpeller WaterPump to MetalImpeller version.

1st Pic below shows factory original TimingParts+WaterPump+OilPump.

2ndPic below shows those parts removed, leaving only the 2 larger CamSprockets.

2008.Ford_Tmng+Pump_PartsOrig.GIF

2008.Ford_Tmng+Pump_PartsRemo.GIF

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 4/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, sid660raptor said:

Also everyone say to replace timing chain tensioners,can I get away without replacing them rn??

Our oldest daughters 2008 Ford Tarus Limited fwd...same engine and transmission...was all highway miles by older retired couple. The water pump went at 145,000 miles.  She was in college so I had a shop do the work. When it was apart the tensioner guides had little wear so we just did the water pump. She now has 205,000 miles on it several years later and no issues. Our middle daughters 2008 Ford Edge Limited fwd had the water pump fail at 125,000 miles. She was also in college, but I decided to save the money and go get it via a tow dolly and bring it home for the repair. I did water pump, tensioners, lower gears, chain, plugs, etc. If I remember right I rented the timing holding tool locally. I just bought the car back from her last month with 143,500 miles and no issues because it has had the trouble issues fixed...well, I did have to put new OSS and TSS sensors in the transmission. I found out later there is an updated double roller timing chain and sprockets. I didn't replace the oil pump on either of these cars and so far it's all good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

theoretically it is possible to upgrade older engines to the newer parts you mentioned.

it has been done on the Flex if you want to research that. there is a spreadsheet that shows part numbers involved.

Sounds like good info...link to that spreadsheet & part numbers?

Edited by DILLARD000

On 9/14/2023 at 1:01 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

theoretically it is possible to upgrade older engines to the newer parts you mentioned.

it has been done on the Flex if you want to research that. there is a spreadsheet that shows part numbers involved.

It's been awhile, but you may be right...I seem to recall that kit had the upper cam gears and I didn't want to touch those...but it was advertised for the 3.5L engine.

20 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

here is the spreadsheet uploaded by the flex owner

Ford_Flex_Timing_Chain_Conversion_Parts_072516.pdf

Thanks for that list of Ford Flex DoubleRoller Timing Parts; can anyone confirm what Flex Year+Model+Engin this is for?

To convince myself this is a real option, will need to study+compare+confirm this list of DoubleRoller Parts to the SingleRoller Parts

that I used last year rebuilding+renewing the TimingSystem+WaterPump+OilPump+...  in my 2008 Ford EdgeAWD V6~3.5L~DOHC.

Do wish I would have had this list+info to study & consider prior to that rebuild.

By the way, that 2008 engine is running great, now almost a year & several thousand miles after rebuild.

No regrets about taking the time+effort to do that rebuild, certainly compared to the crazy expensive alternative of buying a car to replace it.

Edited by DILLARD000