Adding Adaptive suspension to my ST

I love most everything about my 2019 ST.  The bumpy ride at low speeds does get to be a pain.

I am pretty sure that the shocks from a Lincoln Nautilus will fit my car.  While adding the full Nautilus active suspension is theoretically possible, the cost and degree of difficulty are high. 

I am wondering if I could add just the adjustable shocks?  What I don't know is how they are controlled.  Most likely by adjusting the shock dampers using variable voltage.  If I could get the voltage range, I could create the control system to vary the shock ratio.

Does anyone know which system they use on the shocks?  I am sure that the service manual would include this information.

Thanks in advance.  John

The Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (VDM) processes an impressive array of inputs to do its job...

Document download links>

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension - System Operation and Component Description - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension - Component Location - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension - Wiring Diagram, Cell 041 Page 1 - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension - Wiring Diagram, Cell 041 Page 2 - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension - Wiring Diagram, Cell 041 Page 3 - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (VDM) - Connector C4396C Details - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (VDM) - Connector C4396D Details - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (VDM) - Connectors C4396C & C4396D Location - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (VDM) - Removal and Installation - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension - Diagnosis and Testing - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Front Suspension Height Sensor - Removal and Installation - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Front Strut and Spring Assembly - Removal and Installation - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Rear Suspension Height Sensor - Removal and Installation - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Rear Shock Absorber - Removal and Installation - 2019 Nautilus Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Haz,

Thanks.  Getting the full system to work would take a lot of work.  Not sure if it can even be turned on in software on an Edge.

I could still do a dumb system that only changes the shock damping if I can figure out the voltage used and the PWM range. 

Probably 12 volts.  Maybe some brave forum member has this on their Lincoln and can measure the voltage with an oscilloscope.I am not holding my breath.

I will try and find a shock somewhere to play with.  I can use an Arduino to create the PWM signal.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have done some research in this and I think it can be done.  This would be for the adjustable shocks only, not the full adaptive setup.  I did confirm that they use a 12 volt PWM system.  Most likely this can be replicated with an Arduino and the their motor shield.

I am trying to find a shock at a junk yard to use as a test bed.  I would take it apart and work on moving the solenoid.  New ones are over $200.  I am not sure how to non-destructively test it.  Maybe a long lever to see how difference frequencies and PWM affect the damping.  This is not an ideal way to do the testing.  Anyone have a better idea how to test this?