Connectivity to My Ford Pass lost

I have a 2019 Edge. I just received a dashboard notice that I need an oil change. I went to the Ford Pass app and noticed that it was showing 70% oil life because it had not updated since October 2022. I called Ford primarily to verify that I had 4g connectivity and in discussing the issues that I am having with Ford pass connectivity she said she just had a similar issue with another customer and determined that in order to have connectivity to the Ford Pass app I have to have the navigation subscription.  Not sure what one has to do with the other but has anyone else come across this issue and found that the Nav subscription is the problem?

Update: After searching the internet for more info on the issue I came across something on the Ford website for issues with correct location not showing. part of the suggested fix was to verify that remote start worked from the app. So I tried the remote start and it did start the car and the unlock and lock doors feature also worked. Than got a strange message that car is in deep sleep and will only start manually.  Got into car and started it up and the Ford Pass app updated to current information, onboard modem serial number was now showing and I was able to access the connectivity settings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This recent Special Service Message describes the conditions that rightfully trigger a Deep Sleep notification, and if, in 2020-2023 model year vehicles, the notification occurs apart from those expected conditions, that a Telematics Control Unit (TCU) software update may be needed...

image.png

The 2019 Edge Workshop Manual offers this explanation, which may be comparable to the Ford website information you mention...

SYNC Connect (if equipped)

NOTE: Depending on the notification settings, the vehicle may report a “Deep Sleep Mode” on supported mobile Apps. This occurs when battery voltage drops below a level necessary for correct vehicle operation or the vehicle has been inactive for a number of days.

The SYNC Connect system (when activated) can be used to provide remote connectivity through the FordPass mobile phone application. It can monitor certain vehicle systems and carry out vehicle functions such as:

• reading the fuel level and odometer.
  • receiving remote alerts and notifications.
  • carrying out or scheduling remote starts (if enabled through the IPC ).
  • using the vehicle locator.
  • vehicle lock/unlock control and vehicle lock/unlock status.

NOTE: If vehicle battery voltage falls below the minimum required or the vehicle has been inactive beyond a designated time limit, the TCU turns off until the next engine running event to preserve battery power. The connected mobile device App reports a deep sleep mode if notifications are turned on. Refer to the mobile device App information to set notifications and for a list of disabled features when the vehicle is in deep sleep mode.

Workshop Manual images showing TCU location...

image.png.d07754a6a1f1f3373b129f4d4ca0c689.png

image.png.0beba2d0ec09efe518fd91d4efd04e0b.png

TCU Antenna module is located behind LH Loadspace trim panel...

image.png.1f1c77b11cecb4de21bf4cb3fe72f342.png

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

As HAZ posted, one problem that causes DSM is a low battery. Seems most likely.

Problem with this is, Deep Sleep Mode isn't supposed to trigger when the car's running. If got message after remote start and then shut off, battery drained after start triggered it.

If triggered while running, welp, that can't happen. Doesn’t trigger when car running. Only thing that comes to mind is weak battery. Have battery CCA tested (not voltage test).

DSM triggers if not started for 14 days, very cold Temps or low battery.

• Like 1

The battery was replaced just at the end of the 3 year warranty by the Dealer. They had tested the battery at that time and it did show that it was low so they replaced free of charge. The battery is now about 7 months old so I doubt the battery is an issue but will have the dealer check it the next time I am there.  I tried searching for SSM 51725 online to print out but could not find it.  I will take a screen shot in the team time.  While searching for the SSM I saw on another tread in a different Ford Forum (Maverick I think) that someone had SSM 51725 completed and di don't fix their issue. Another person mentioned that they updated the Ford Pass app and that seemed to fix their problem.  

I checked and there was an update to Ford pass on the Apple App Store that was a day old so installed it.  I just tried the remote start again and it worked as well as unlock and lock doors. I did not get the deep sleep message this time so I will print out the SSM and save it for future reference.  Thank you everyone for your help and insight.  These forums are a valuable source of help.

• Thanks 1